newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darlene & Jack, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hello...my almost 9 year old cat was just discharged from the animal hospital today after a new diagnosis of diabetes and being in diabetic ketoacidosis. it's all a bit overwhelming, trying to figure out what to feed him, timing the insulin, and how to switch him over to a different way of eating (only twice a day wet food instead of all day grazing on dry food). I have 2 other cats as well, so I will need to figure out how to feed them all. I am thinking it is best to just switch them all over to the wet food once I get Jack on a good schedule. Any pointers are appreciated!!
    Darlene

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! DKA is scary - glad your kitty is home. Is he doing okay with the switch to wet? After DKA, it is important that they are eating and drinking regularly. Are you testing regularly for ketones: ketones That can head off any future DKA problems.

As you read around the site: FAQs you'll see that we have helped lots of diabetic kitties with the wet lo carb diet (this FD vet has great transitioning tips so all your cats can benefit from wet lo carb: www.catinfo.org), insulin and testing at home so we know that the amount of insulin we are planning to give is safe and so we can see how the insulin is working. Video for hometesting

What kind of insulin? What dose? We have support groups for the most popular insulins: Lantus, Levemir and PZI that have good information on how the insulin works best in cats.

Let us know how we can help.

3. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

I just gave him some wet food and he seems to like it. The vet wrote a rx for Royal Canin diabetic wet food, but it's discontinued. So i looked up some articles and got Wellness brand, but I see some problems with recalls and things posted here. I am wondering if the Fancy Feast Classic is a good option as many have posted? The vet did not discuss home testing, he has to go back in a week for the glucose curve. But I am a nurse and don't feel comfortable just making the food changes and giving insulin with no testing at home! So I think I'll be going to WalMart tonight to get a monitor and start trying it.
    He was started on the Pro Zinc, 2 units BID.
    Reading all these posts and recommendations is very overwhelming! But Jack is the sweetest cat ever...he is well worth it!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good for you. Hometesting is the best way to keep Jack safe. Here's a shopping list:

A human glucometer. Any one that sips and takes a tiny sample is fine. The meters are often free at drug stores; it’s the strips that are expensive. You can, however, buy them on ebay at less than half the price of stores. Lots of people here also like the ReliOn from Walmart. It is an inexpensive meter and its strips are the cheapest around. Try the meter out on yourself or someone else before you try it on your cat. You want to be familiar with it before you poke the cat.

Lancets and a lancet device. Usually, until the ears “learn” to bleed, a 25-26 gauge is good. Any brand will work.

Ketone strips. (Ketostix) Just like human diabetics use. You will sometimes need to test urine if the numbers are high.

Rice sack. Make this out of thinnish sock, filled with raw rice or oatmeal and then knotted. You heat this in the microwave until very warm but not hot. Then heat the ears before poking.

Also nice to have. Flashlight: so you can look at the ears and find the little capillaries that come off the vein running down the ear. Vaseline: Put a tiny smear where you want to poke. It will help the blood bead up.

And some lo carb treats to give your kitty, successful test or not Lo carb treats

It is not always as easy as it looks in the video at first. If you have problems, come on and we will bombard you with tips that worked for us.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

6. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

All of your kitties can eat the same food - wet lo carb. Many people on this board leave wet food out for the grazers. If you add water to it and mix a bit (like thick applesauce) it won't dry out and everyone is happy. Some also freeze wet food in ice cubes and then as the food thaws the kitties can nibble.

7. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Darlene, and, of course, you too, Jack,

It is overwhelming, isn't it? And, you know what, Darlene? It's even okay to say "This sucks!" But, only at the beginning... Why only at the beginning? Because it becomes less overwhelming when you start being proactive by reading, home testing, catching pee. When you realize it really only takes a couple of extra minutes twice a day. When you find how much life can be lived in 12-hour increments. But, most of all, when you start to see Jack feeling better.

It is most interesting and rewarding sharing life with a sugar cat.

As for your food/feeding questions/thoughts. Since Jack and his furry buddies are used to grazing, why not let them continue doing so -- especially since the wet food seems to be a hit. At least, for now. Jack has a lot going on, particularly coming off DKA, so it's incredibly important that he eats. I most humbly suggest that you do not limit him to two feedings a day anytime soon. Give him a chance to get used to receiving insulin and feeling stronger. You can always move/shift to a different feeding schedule as you find what routine works best for you both.

I free fed Gizzie (also diagnosed diabetic and DKA in the same breath) and now free feed Nikki. Giz wasn't big on cat food (long story); but, Nikki likes Fancy Feast (both Classic varieties as well as Chunky Chicken, Turkey, and Chopped Grill). There are quite a few free feeders here on The Board. For me, it's a peace of mind thing. I just feel more comfortable knowing there's food out when I'm at work, etc.

And, as for you, dear Darlene? Just remember to breathe...

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found.

Love and encouraging hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

8. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks for the info, everyone and for your kind words, Deb! I have left some food out for Jack and he keeps going and eating a little bit at a time. Had his insulin about 90 minutes ago. I can't imagine him going 12 hours without food! I do agree that it will probably be best to feed all the cats the wet food...since his BFF Tucker weighs in at 19 pounds and could definitely benefit from a better diet!
    Jack weighs 12 pounds...the vet said to give 4 ounces twice a day. Is this about right for him? Maybe 10 oz. spread out over the day?

I will try to remember to stop and take a deep breath... thank you

Darlene & Jack

9. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

So I just did my first glucose test on Jack, successful on the 2nd attempt and he was such a good boy! Reading was 83, 2 hours after his insulin dosage. Seems a little low, but I'm not really sure what level is hypoglycemic for a cat. I will explore a little more on here...

10. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, sweet Jack,

Someone here recently posted that between 3 and 4 cans of Fancy Feast a day (cans are 3 ounces) seems to be the norm. Nikki weighs slightly over 11 pounds and eats 3 cans some days and 4 cans other days. There's no real rhyme or reason. I mean, it's not like she eats more when she's running higher, or less when she's in the 100s... She's a cat. It's probably a mood thing...

I'd let Jack tell you how much he wants to eat for the next couple of weeks or so. DKA takes a lot out of them and he needs to eat. And, since you've switched him from dry to wet, he's eating much less carbs, so he might need/want a little more wet as opposed to dry until he gets used to it... This is probably a bad example, but think how full your stomach feels after eating a cheeseburger deluxe with french fries as opposed to how your stomach feels after eating a grilled chicken breast with veggies and a salad on the side... Does that even make sense? Sigh...

Just don't tell Tucker he's going on a diet... ;o)

Breathing is always good, Darlene... Chocolate works too! (For you, not the cats...)

Love and continued encouraging hugs for you all,

PS: Hypo levels are 40 and below... With his diet change, you may want to consider reducing his dose a bit. Then again, coming off DKA, it's a tough call... Can you stay up and test him again?

PPS: Welcome to the Vampire Club!

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

83 is a little low at +2. Usually PZI has a nadir(lowest point) around 6 hours after the shot. You will need to stay up at least till +6, or plan to wake up and test him at +6.

Unfortunately there won't be many people on the forum that late.

So- if he goes down below 50, I would offer some wet lo carb- not a lot, just enough to bring his numbers up. If he gets to the 40s, you want to give him higher carb or dry food. Meanwhile, you want to be testing every 15-20 minutes. If he doesn't start moving up, put some karo syrup on his gums.

Not to scare you, but just so you are prepared. Here is the hypo info:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

He may be fine, but he could also go quite a bit lower in 4 hours.

12. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks Sue and Deb, I will make sure to check Jack again around the 6 hour mark. By the way, he is also on antibiotics for a UTI.
    I was joking with my coworkers that I was going to take FMLA (family medical leave of absence) to care for jack....but at this rate, i really will need it!

Deb...of course I had to make sure the glucometer worked so I checked mine first...it was 109 AFTER chocolate...haha

Darlene & Jack

13. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene -- sorry, sweet Jack, mom talk...

It pays to be a nurse! I checked my BG before testing Gizzie for the first time. I was 21 and figured I was already deceased, so had nothing left to lose... Actually, posted my demise right here on The Board. Am amazed to this day that they actually let me keep posting...

OKAY, all kidding aside... You need to be testing Jack more frequently tonight. Please do not wait until the +6 (6 hours after shot). I'd test him again at +3 to see where that 83 is going. If it's a significant drop, I'd start testing every half hour or so. Hope you bought extra test strips... And, I'm glad you have dry food around as you may have to give him some...

I'll stay up for your +3, okay?

Love and continued encouraging -- and hope this is nothing -- kind of hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz...

PS: Jack is a real trooper isn't he? Must take after his mom...

14. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks so much Deb, you're a sweetheart! I just checked it and it is 53. He had just eaten a little wet food. I am giving him a little dry food now. This test was a little over 3 1/2 hours after insulin. He had been sleeping so I had woken him up to eat. Will keep checking it...

15. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Okay, Darlene -- definitely mom talk now,

It would be good if you can maintain him with real food -- meaning wet and dry -- rather than Karo/maple syrup or honey. The syrup/honey route is good for maybe a quick 15-20 minute sugar spike, give or take. Real food may take 15-20 minutes to kick in, but will last longer.

Is he alert? I mean as alert as he usually is right after waking up?

I'll stay up for his +4 okay?

PS: You're going to need the FMLA just to catch up on your sleep!

16. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

OK, he's up to 63 now...at least it's heading in a better direction! You are an angel Deb to stay up to check on us!
    Will definitely need the FMLA.
    So depending on how things go the rest of the night....do I give him any insulin in the morning?

17. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, maybe not so sweet Jack,

First things first. Take away the dry food, for now. You may need it again later, but hopefully not... Do leave out the wet food. And, please check him again in a half hour to 45 minutes. If he's still rising, check him again at +6. If he's still rising at +6, go to bed, but leave out the wet food. It'll help you sleep...

Technically, he didn't hypo. And, thank God you're a proactive overachieving nurse mom and started home testing right away! That said, and depending on his PS (pre-shot) BG reading in the morning, I'd tend to back that dose down to 1 unit. I'd also be catching pee and checking for ketones. Like I said before, with Jack coming off DKA, it's a tough call reducing his dose...

Well, sweetie, I have to go to bed now. Have to get up early for my part-time job...

You're a champ in my book, dear Darlene! Please give Jack a hug for me.

18. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Deb, I can't thank you enough for helping me get through this first night with Jack!! You are so sweet to stay up late and sacrifice your sleep as well. I will follow your advice and keep checking...and hopefully get to bed tonight. I am so thankful I went and got the meter and followed the advice of all of you wonderful moms!!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Darlene, I'm so sorry I missed this but so glad you had Deb here with you. I'll look for your post tomorow and ia hope you get some sleep tonight.
    Lori
    and tomtom

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know what hour since dose your on..or what your latest number is but I can be around for a while if you need me.
    May i ask what you shot...how many units?

21. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hi Lori...Latest reading is 65, and he just ate a little bit more. He's on PZI 2 units BID.
    I'm in Connecticut so it's 2am here. I think I can go to bed soon...I hope!

22. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, sweet but maybe not extra-sweet Jack,

Good morning!

Hope you got "some" sleep last night, Darlene. I'm reasonably sure Jack got in his usual 16 hours -- in between ear pokes...

I just wanted to check in and say that first nights aren't usually like yours was. Yes, there's angst and worry; but, far less drama... Here's hoping today will grant you a nap and tonight real sleep!

Will check in later...

Love and encouraging hugs continue for you both,

PS: Nikki nipped me during her ear poke this morning. I was 77... Too early for chocolate! ;o)

23. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Good morning, I did get a few hours sleep last night! Got up at 7 to check his BG and it was 280. I decided to give him just 1 unit of insulin this morning to see how he does since I can be home with him today. I was going to check it now but he's hiding somewhere because a guy came to do some work in my yard and banged on the door when he got here...and the 3 of them scattered! I'll check him when he comes out of hiding. :)

I'm glad to hear that easier nights are on their way. And really...is it ever too early for chocolate???!!

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good morning Darlene and Jack,

I am so glad Deb and Niki were around last night to guide you through your first low numbers. You are officially a member of the club now. :mrgreen:

I would certainly give one unit and get a few tests in today. Time to get a spreadsheet up and working: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207 We have been having some trouble getting it to come up. Give it a few minutes. If it doesn't work, ask for help. It is a great tool - color coded so you can see trends and patterns and we can see your history of dosing when you want help.

25. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks Sue! I think I got the spreadsheet done correctly....I just don't know how to get the link in my signature to just say "Jack's Spreadsheet" instead of listing out the whole url address. But the spreadsheet will definitely be a great help in seeing the trends, etc. Jack definitely seems perkier this morning, but still not sure how much I should be seeing his numbers moving after 1 unit. I guess it is all a learning process!

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, you had some introduction to the Vampire Club Darlene! And you did fantastically as did your darling super sweet again this morning Jack. Ya know 2U never seems to be the right starting dose it turns out. Jack will do very very well I can see as you have done so well your first day on board. It's only going to get easier from here. :mrgreen:

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Good idea to reduce that dose!
    When you shifted him to low carb canned food, you may have dropped his average glucose by as much as 100 points (as one of users discovered!). Plus, it is likely his glucose readings were higher at the vet's due to stress; this is very common.

There is a forum for the PZI users - you might find it helpful to read over the stickies there and see how other users are doing with their cats.

28. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, sweet Jack,

Glad to hear you did get some sleep last night! And, yes, easier nights are on their way...

Well, the thing is I was out of Cadbury Mini Eggs and just didn't feel right about starting my day with Oreos. You do make a good point, however...

Love and continued encouraging hugs for you and yours,
    Deb and Nikki (I hate those yard guys too, Jack. They're soooooo noisy!!!) -- and, Giz...

29. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Yummm...Cadbury mini eggs would have made a good breakfast. They are eggs, and eggs are good for breakfast.

So I just made an alarming discovery. I looked closer at the syringes the vet's office gave me. They gave Jack PZI 40 un/ml. The box of syringes they gave me are U-40 syringes, which is good. BUT, they also had put on top some extra ones of a different brand. I didn't realize there was a difference since they looked so similar, and the vet tech said they were the same. So I had used one of those last night and this morning. On looking at them today, I saw those other syringes were U-100. I just looked at the conversion chart on here, and see that I gave Jack what was 2 units in the U-100 syringe, which really converted to only 0.8 units that he got last night. When I decreased to what I thought was 1 unit this morning, converted to only 0.4 units! I am not happy the vet's office making a mistake like that, but thank goodness I didn't give him the full 2 units last night. If he dropped to 53 last night on only 0.8 un, it would have been an emergency situation if he received 2 full units! cat(2)_steam

So I just got rid of the 3 remaining U-100 syringes. Now, what do I give him for a dosage on the U-40 syringes?? Maybe only 0.5 un?

Looks like just changing to the wet food is making a big difference. He is on antibiotics for the urinary tract infection. He is eating well and drinking a bit, but I haven't seen him use the litter box. With 3 cats it's hard to tell who used it overnight, but I didn't see Jack use it in the evening yesterday or all day today, so I am a little concerned about that.

30. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Oh, big but lucky mistake! You definitely need to share this with your vet.

I would definitely be on litter patrol to make sure he goes. You want to be on top of the UTI. Antibiotics and infection can raise bg levels so that will need to enter your equation when he starts to improve.

I would think .5 would be safe. Be sure to get a few tests in - maybe .3 and .6 to be sure he is staying in good numbers.

If you want dose help, you can also post over on the PZI support group: viewforum.php?f=24 The Health board is best for general advice and emergencies - it is much busier than PZI. But PZI usually has people on in the am and pm, and everyone uses your insulin. It is often helpful to check out their spreadsheets to see how things are working for them.

31. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Good morning! So Jack is running high, gave him 1 unit this morning (love that spreadsheet!). He is definitely much perkier and did finally use he litter box last night. I'm kind of nervous leaving to go to work this morning, but I did train my 19 year old daughter how to test. I'm hoping she can try to do it herself today to get at least a +6 reading. Still working on figuring out how much food to leave out, when he should eat, and how to not starve my other cats at the same time!

32. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, obviously sweet but just how sweet Jack,

Oh my... Just what you needed following a night of sleep deprivation... God bless your powers of observation, Darlene.

Yes, this was a big mistake. But (and sometimes buts are good!), Sue is right that this was a lucky mistake.

Saturday night while waiting for a BG update from you, I was thinking/speculating about the puzzle that is your sweet Jack. The whole thinking/speculating process really kicked into gear when you mentioned he was also on antibiotics for his UTI... And, here is what that thinking/speculating led me to consider...

Jack is almost 9 years old. That's still pretty young -- particularly around here! I'm thinking he has a functioning pancreas. Yes, it has taken a hit with the diabetes/DKA and UTI/antibiotics; but, I think it's trying to work. No, I think it is working. And, I think it loves the wet/low carb diet...

Dear Darlene, can you give us a time line regarding Jack's diagnosis? Which came first, the UTI/antibiotics or the diabetes/DKA? Can you tell us what his BG reading was at the vet's when he was diagnosed both diabetic and DKA? The reason I'm asking is because Sue is also right about how infections and antibiotics can create havoc with BG levels... And Hope's precious, albeit ornery, Mishka has taught us all that DKA doesn't have to involve really high BGs having thrown ketones at 220 (give or take) more than once...

Please remember, dear Darlene, this is just me thinking/speculating, and I could be way off base... But, I am hopeful that with a bit of insulin and rest, healing the UTI and finishing the antibiotics, and the new food, Jack's pancreas will start doing its job again...

Speaking of that UTI... Would it be possible to sequester Jack away from his furry buddies? Perhaps a lovely "en suite" arrangement for a couple of days? He doesn't actually have to have a separate bathroom, just his own litter box... That way, you'd be able to monitor his output, so to speak... Also, adding a bit of water to his wet food as previously suggested, might boost his liquid intake and thus his output... Then again, he may be drinking less because he's eating wet food now. When he was eating dry food, he had no place to go for liquid refreshment other than his water bowl... Would this arrangement be possible?

Once again, dear Darlene, you make a good point...

Love and our continued encouraging hugs for you and Jack,

PS: If Jack needs really tiny doses of PZI, you might need a few of those U-100 syringes... It's been done before...

33. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, definitely sweet and perky Jack,

We love perkier! And, we especially love litter box use!

It's understandable that you're nervous, Darlene. But, how great is it that your daughter will be home to test and be watchful! Sometimes it takes a village to dance with a sugar cat...

Since your daughter will be home, how about asking her to make sure Jack has access to food all day. You mentioned before that he only eats a little bit at a time. I'd humbly let him do just that. Remember, it's low carb now...

Speaking of his furry buddies, how are they liking the new food?

Much love and try not to worry too much kind of encouraging hugs,

PS: Did you pack some chocolate in your lunch bag?

34. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes darlene do keep those u100's as you will likely NEED them as Jack continue's to get dose reductions. we use them all the time.
    yes, even those of us on u40 insulins. keep them!

35. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Just some technical advice from me. :)

In order to get it to display text, it should read like this in your signature box:

Jack's Spreadsheet

36. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Good afternoon ladies,

So it was hard to concentrate at work while I was only wanting to be home with my baby! But luckily my daughter Rachel was here and was able to get his blood sugar (I was so proud of her!) at the +6 mark, and it was 275. He's been eating the food well and his furry friends are seeming to like it too.
    So to answer some of your questions...Jack was dx with DKA and the UTI at the same time. I suspect the diabetes came first as his weight loss has been over a few months, and he did seem to be drinking more, peeing more. I think the UTI was just from last week when he wasn't eating, drinking or peeing. It's my hope too that once the UTI is resolved and his body has adjusted to all wet food the readings will go down. The initial reading at the vet's was 482, and looked to be in the 300's from what I could see when I picked him up.

I don't think the sequestering would work for any of them, they just cry and cry behind a closed door, so I think that would just stress Jack out too much. I have been adding water to the wet food though, as I had seen suggested on here. Rachel said he must have gone in and out of the litter box about 10 times in a row today, so I don't know if he was still having difficulty urinating or not.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 100 un syringes, I will definitely keep some on hand.

And finally Deb, no, I didn't pack any chocolate in my lunch box today! But I might need some tonight!

Thanks so much again to all of you wonderful ladies...I was singing your praises at work when everyone was asking how Jack was. :D

37. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Ugh, now his bg is 463. :cry:

38. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Tricky. The usual advice would be to hold the dose for another cycle - patricularly because you have an infection involved. But you also have the dka history.

You don't want to skip over a good dose by not giving him a cycle to adjust, but you don't want a chance of ketones.

If you can religiously test for ketones, I would keep to the 1 unit for another cycle. If that makes you too nervous, you could give 1.5 units.

39. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Actually I just gave the 1.5 units. I didn't want him to get too high with the DKA, like you said.

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd get some tests tonight - maybe +3, +6 if possible. Data really helps us figure all this out and makes for easier dosing choices in the future.

41. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Not a problem getting those readings tonight. I'm anxious to see what his numbers do.

Finally was able to get his little face up as my avatar after some help from the tech board!

42. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Oh crap, dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, extremely sweet Jack,

Sigh... Sigh... Sigh... (Fortunately, sighing is a form of breathing...)

Let's recap...

4/02 -- PM 0.8u, no PS right?
    83 @ +2
    53 @ +3.5
    63 @ +4
    65 @ +5

4/3 -- AM PS 280, 0.4u
    281 @ +2
    191 @ +6
    -- PM PS 368, 0.8u
    326 @ +3
    293 @ +6

4/4 -- AM PS 382, 1.0u
    275 @ +6 -- Go Rachel!
    -- PM PS 464, 1.5u

We're about to have yet another cross post... I either need to type faster or bookmark the link to Jack's spreadsheet! But, guess what, dear Darlene? I'll be up for his +3! Can't guarantee his +6 however...

Gosh, he is a puzzle, isn't he? Am off to see how cute his little face is...

Love and our continued encouraging hugs,

PS: Darling, sweet Jack, please say NO to more drama...

43. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Oh my gosh! It looks like he's smiling!

44. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Yes, you are correct with the readings. Oh crap is right! I'm hoping this is not too unusual when just starting out?? Or is my Jack just being difficult? He's being such a good boy through all of this, it's really amazing.
    I don't know if this has made any difference, but over the past 2 days I have had to adjust him from getting his shot at 8:30pm on Saturday. Sunday we did 7am & 7pm, and now today I got him on the 6am & 6pm schedule so I can give it to him before work. So now times will be consistent at least.

45. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, sorry still very sweet Jack -- mom talk,

I don't think your shot schedule has made much difference. It's more important to stick to a firm 12/12 shot schedule with Lantus and Levemir than with PZI. PZI allows a tad more wiggle room... You can pretty much figure that during the first few days most everyone adjusts to what will finally become a workable schedule.

No, I don't think Jack is being difficult. He has had an interesting dosing roller coaster because of the syringe snafu and that may be contributing to "things"... And, he is on antibiotics, another possible contributor... As Sue mentioned, it would probably be helpful if you could have a full cycle (2 shots) with the same dose. Normally it is suggested to have a week on a consistent dose; but, not much has been normal with Jack so far... Doesn't mean it won't be, though!

You know what, dear Darlene? I think we need to rest our brains and have some chocolate... Of course, in my case, that would mean having dessert before dinner. Ah, the joys of adulthood!

Will check in after I forage for food...

Love and our continued encouraging, albeit puzzled, hugs,

PS: I love it that your co-workers asked about how Jack was doing!

46. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

OK, so +3 reading is 224. Big change on the 1.5 un. I will be sure to get a +6 reading later tonight.

Hope you found something good for dinner besides chocolate, Deb! I guess Jack does kind of look like he's smiling in his pic! Is that Nikki on your new pic? She's adorable!

And I just have to say it...go UCONN!!!!!

47. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oooooh, Jack is so cute I just wanna pick him up and love on him! cat_pet_icon
    I don't think he is being difficult. It takes a little bit for the body to get accustomed to the food, the insulin...Give him a few days of irregularity.
    Will be interested in his +6 Darlene.
    Lori
    and tomtom too!

48. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks Lori...I think Jack is pretty cute too! He enjoys getting lovings and most especially belly rubs! Your Tom is quite a handsome boy as well.
    I feel better after looking at other kitties spreadsheets and seeing a lot of variations. I guess patience really is a virtue when dealing with this.

49. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

+6 reading.............185!

50. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well a nearly 300 point drop is....interesting. :D . we are aiming for a smoother and gentler curve, but hopefully tomorow morning she will give you a number that is a bit lower so we can see blue...or green, without the big time drop. i've already forgotten your insulin, is it pro-zinc?
    i thought the dose increases were coming fast. may i suggest you choose a dose and stay with it for a few days to see if that would balance Jack out. say...1 unit or so. and not to vary from it unless the number is too low to shoot that amount. in that case in sometimes pays to stall the shot for an hour to see if Jack is going up.
    Sooooo, sleep well tonight and we shall see you in the morning :YMHUG:
    lori
    and tomtom too!

51. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Good morning...yes Lori, Jack is on PZI. This mornings reading was 372 so I gave 1.5 un again. My daughter will be home to check the +3 and +6 readings for me. A gentler curve would be nice!

52. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

PZI what ?

There are several PZIs. ProZinc, BCP PZI,etc.

Please look at the label and give us the complete information.

53. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, still pretty sweet Jack,

Dinner consisted of refried beans w/a tad of melted cheddar followed by a 2-Oreo chaser. Didn't have the energy to forage much beyond what I saw first...

Recapping...

4/4 -- PM PS 463 / 1.5U
    224 @ +3
    185 @ +6

4/5 -- AM PS 372

Hmmmm... It'll be interesting seeing his +3 and 6 readings today... Go Rachel!!!

Yes, I do believe Jack is smiling. It's a wry smile, like he's plotting something or has a really good secret... And, yes, that is Nikki. It was taken in her Virginia foster home when she found out she was going to be a Jersey Girl! She accepts your compliment. She knows she's adorable. It's those saucer-sized green eyes and pink nose with a smudge that get me every single day... If she hadn't arrived with a name she knew, I'd have named her Precious... Perhaps some day I'll take a picture of her two front paws as I could have easily named her Two Socklets after the little known movie sequel, Dances With Wolf Cubs... ;o)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and our continued encouraging hugs,

PS: Something has happened to Jack's SS link, dear Darlene. It's broken and doesn't work...

54. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It looks like the URL didn't get completely copied, Darlene. You can go back to the Share option on your copy and repeat the process.

55. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

OK...so the insulin is ProZinc. I do not see any other specifiers on the label. Sorry, I didn't realize there were several PZ's...my human patients were never on that kind!

I recopied the spreadsheet, please let me know if it works. So today was as follows:

AMPS 372 1.5 units given
    +3 263
    +6 300

PMPS 331 1.5 un

Not sure why the +6 went up. Rachel said he hadn't really eaten in between those readings.

56. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Spreadsheet is still not working. Those last few characters don't look right. How about trying it one more time.

Go to your signature first and delete the URL that is there. Go back to your spreadsheet, go through the share deal again, copy and paste the URL back into your signature and submit.

Hard to know why his nadir was early, but he surfed in the same general numbers after that. Collecting data - that's the name of the game.

Are you completely on wet lo carb now?

57. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

OK, please try the spreadsheet link again!

Jack is on all wet food now, as are my other 2 cats. Fancy Feast Classic and they don't seem to miss the dry food at all.

I am so glad my daughter is home at this time to check those morning +3 and +6 readings. She is doing an awesome job and learning what the numbers mean too! I will hold with the 1.5 units for now until I hear someone tell me to change it.

Deb...sounds like you had a good dinner! Glad Nikki loves being a Jersey Girl. When we adopted Jack and his sister Jordan, we thought of all kinds of other names to call them, but always went back to Jack and Jordan...when we first went to see them, they were so tiny, one could fit perfectly in the palm of my hand. Funny you mention about the socklets. Jordan is a calico and though they both have little white socks, Jordan has mismatched legwarmers on above the socks. One front leg is gray, the other beige.

I love seeing the pics of everyone's cats here, they are all gorgeous!

So any advice on dosages, etc is appreciated. Jack still has a few more days of his amoxicillin for the UTI left to go. He is due to go back to the vets on Friday and stay all day for a curve, but I think I may cancel that as I'm doing the home monitoring now and the being at the vets will just stress him out so much. I want to call around to find a vet with a little experience in this and who will appreciate me checking blood sugars, etc, not think I am crazy!

58. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No need for a vet curve. Do one at home and fax them the results.

You could go over to the PZI forum:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24 and regularly post for dose advice. It is not as busy as this forum, but people are there in the am and pm when you need to shoot. This forum is best when you need immediate advice.

59. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

OK, thanks Sue. Before I do that....is the spreadsheet working now? I will keep my fingers crossed!

60. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Oh, forgot to tell you. Yes, it looks fine!

61. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Good day today so far, look at all of those pretty blues!!! :)

62. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, still sweet Jack,

WOW! He had a lovely several hours today, didn't he? And, it appears he had an interesting night last night as well... Now if you could just get him to do something similar at PS times... Hmmm...

That's all. Just hmmm...

Love and our continued encouraging hugs for you and your furry puzzle,

PS: I think we all need to see a pic of Jordan's mismatched leg warmers...

PPS: Has Tucker figured out he's on a diet yet?

63. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

My furry little puzzle is certainly keeping us busy here! I am hoping tonight will be a nice gentle curve like it was this morning. I will see what I can find for pics of Jordan's legs. And Tucker...well, he is quite the talkative one. He screamed and yelled at me for treats all morning. I told him it wasn't fair because Jack couldn't have them. It was our morning routine for treats while I was making breakfast. I have to find some of the freeze dried meat ones. Anyways, he continued to yell at me. Then he gave up, chowed down a bunch of wet food, walked into the living room and threw it up on the area rug! I guess that was his revenge on me! but they have all really adjusted very well to the wet food.

Hope you and Nikki are doing well and enjoying this little bit of warmer weather!

64. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh that is rich!!!! tucker ate his wet food and then threw it up for you on the rug...as revenge for lack of treats! :lol: i would'nt doubt it for a minute. these little creatures know EXACTLY what they are doing....and will stop at nothing to get what they want!!!!

65. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hahaha, I agree Lori. They are very smart! Tucker is quite the character...I don't think he would be as cooperative with all of this as Jack is!

So another high start to the day... :-(

66. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene -- sorry extremely sweet Jack, mom talk...

498, trace ketones, and a possible partial fur shot due to flinching??? Sigh... Sigh... Sigh...

Would you consider going back to the 1.5 unit dose? The reason I'm asking is because you really need to get his PS numbers down...

Are you home today or is Rachel womanning his spot checks? And, does she know how to give Jack shots? Although I'm hesitant to even humbly suggest this, he may need an interim small dose (0.25u to 0.5u tops) if and when his BGs start to climb, say around +7 to +9 in order to keep his next PS lower... And, you or Rachel must keep checking for ketones...

Also, I know Jack is supposed to go for a curve at his vet's tomorrow and you were thinking of canceling because you're home testing now. But, would it be possible to keep his appointment, not for curving; but, because he might need to get fluids to flush the ketones if they worsen...

Please update when you can, okay, dear Darlene?

Love and continued encouraging, albeit worried, hugs,

67. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hi Deb,
    Unfortunately your reply must have come after I left for work. I did cancel the curve appointment as most had said I was doing it at home already so why add the stress and cost at the vets. When I called to cancel I spoke with the vet tech about the syringe mix up, and he wasn't concerned. He still said the syringes were the same, and I told him they weren't. I explained the difference and he said "well they're only a little different." I said no, it's a big difference! He still didn't think so. I asked to speak to the vet and he said just throw those syringes out. No concern over a wrong dose. So i will be calling around a few places tomorrow to find a new vet. My first choice is a place that actually has a 24 hour staffed animal hospital that all the local vets use for emergencies anyways. So it might be better to just get Jack known there so if there is an emergency, they have all his records, etc.
    As far as the dosage, right now I am relying on the guidance of you all on here! I have been posting on the PZ board as well. We thought we would try a consistent dose for the week and try to stick with 1 unit, but I am willing to try what I can to bring those numbers down.
    And I have to say, I am so glad tomorrow is Friday, because all these very late nights of testing are exhausting me, along with the worry and anxiety!

68. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OMG...I did'nt even read past the sentence where the vet said it did'nt matter, the syringes were basically the same. I am totally freaked out that this is a person who practices medicine on animals. excuse me whilst I freak out!!!!! ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile

ok, did'nt you think there was a fur shot today?
    that really puts a monkey in the wrench (what the hell does THAT mean???) but yes, i would go ahead with the 1.5 if number is still up at pmps.

did'nt read far...maybe you already shot

69. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think steph and toonces should see this for her 'bad vet daily' blog....this is absurd and dangerous. i will pm her even tho i know she never comes here anymore.

70. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

I know Lori, i was pretty upset with the tech and the vet both. I was trying to let the tech know this was a big issue. Luckily for Jack it turned out OK, but I want to make sure he didn't do that for another animal.
    As far as the shot this morning, he had flinched and I worried maybe he didn't get it, but I'm assuming he did based on his numbers. I already did give the 1 unit tonight, was afraid to increase and cause more rebounding.

Bad vet blog sounds like a good place for this guy! I don't think they have any experience with someone home monitoring either. The vet tech didn't understand, but the vet himself said it was good I was doing it. But I still don't trust him.

71. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so looks like you did'nt fur shoot...i have'nt looked at the ss yet. trace ketone hmmmm? we have to put that first but in a way i'm glad you gave 1u one more cycle to be sure.

as for vet tech, vet and syringes. particularly if vet does not think people are testing....no, no, no, i take that back. i think u40 as opposed to u100 syringes is basic 101 medicine. regardless of your testing or not. confusing doses of medicine is bad enough...not knowing you are doing it is another. am i to understand you were handed a mix of both types of syringes?
    can't imagine any animal being subjected to care by this vet or vet tech.

off to see your ss

lori
    and tomtom (pwees mommie, don sen meh to dat doktur)

72. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear Darlene, and, of course, you too, definitely still sweet Jack,

Sometimes ER hospitals have either daytime office hours or a separate clinic (without the ER price tag to walk in the door). Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus has a small clinic in Fort Lee that came in handy a time or two with Gizzie as well as non-ER office hours at the hospital. You can also request a complete copy of Jack's records from his current vet to have on hand or paw, should the need arise, or to take to a new vet... You're the paying client and mom of Jack, the patient, so the vet must comply and provide same.

At first I thought his current vet should simply fire that vet tech. Upon reading what the vet said, well, sadly and apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the boss tree... Sigh...

I'm very glad you're now posting on the PZI support group! They're in the sugar trenches daily and have far more insights into dosing with that insulin than I do. And, yes, I too very much believe in consistency. Then again, there's Jack's very recent DKA history and yesterday's trace ketones... I admit to being worried about his 400+ PSs... He gets such an incredible drop, doesn't he?

Just refreshed Jack's spreadsheet (yes, it's now bookmarked...) and see you went with a slight increase. That's a good plan, dear Darlene. Sometimes the magic dose isn't in whole units or even half units. I eyeballed 2.25 units with Giz for years... 2.0 wasn't enough and 2.5 was too much... And one day, I just went, duh...

It isn't always like this, Darlene. Now, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to get lots of recovery sleep this weekend!

Love and our continued encouraging hugs for you and Jack (which will never self-destruct!) -- and Rachel, too,

73. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

So Jack's numbers were great today after insulin, it's just those preshot numbers that are staying so high. We'll see if anything changes on the small increase. I'll try to stick with that for a few cycles. I was nervous about going back up to 1.5 so thought this might be a little better. His poor little ears are getting so and red from all the pokes. He ran away from Rachel for one of the tests this morning, but then was ok for the next one. I did pick up an automatic feeder on my way home from work to try to give some overnight food as was suggested on the PZI board.

As for the vet, I will have to get the records and then eventually see if there is anywhere to report an issue like this. I called the new vet's office/animal hospital I was interested in. They have the clinic and office hours, then the emergency pet care. I explained to the receptionist about Jack and what i was looking for. About half an hour later a wonderful vet called me back and reviewed things with me. She was VERY supportive of the home testing and said it was the only way to go. When I told her about the syringe problem with the other vet she agreed that was a big mistake. I felt very good about her and we made an appointment for next Saturday to meet her and for her to see Jack. I'll bring my spreadsheet and she said bring my meter and we make sure we are getting accurate readings. So I am very happy about that...and I know I can call anytime of day or night for help. Plus she has the same last name as us, so I am taking that as a good sign!

I plan on trying to get some much needed rest, that's for sure!

74. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Are you holding his ears for a few seconds after each poke to minimize bruising? You can also use neosporin with pain relief to help out.

I don't know about your state, but our state Attorneys General Office has a number you can call to report professional misconduct. There is also a State Veterinary Board that you should be able to contact.

Glad you like your new vet better. She sounds like a keeper!

75. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hi Sue...yes we are using the rice sock to warm his ears then holding them after we poke. I just started using the Neosporin with pain relief more.
    Thanks, I will look into the Sate Vet Board for sure. And this new one does sound like a keeper!!

76. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Very nice #'s for Jack today. Glad you found a vet you like. They're not so easy to find sometimes.

77. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, and, of course, you too, sweet furry puzzling puzzle Jack,

I have bookmarked Jack's spread sheet, and, quite frankly, am not sure there's enough chocolate in the world to deal with his cacophony of colors...

I have at least three or four drafts of posts to you, that simply got way-laid, sitting in my draft box...

Here's the link to the CT Vet Board, by the way: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3143&q=388948 Scrolling down and reading the disciplinary action part is pretty interesting -- http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... v_GID=1830 ... Sometimes they don't get much beyond a slap on the wrist and a fine you have probably already paid for in vet bills; but, sometimes they get more... I humbly think it's worth pursuing if you do... I like Jack's new vet very much! She called you back, supports home testing, and has your same last name! Can we spell Good Karma?!

So, back to the sweet furry puzzling puzzle that is Jack... Please understand, I'm just humbly throwing this out there... Would you even consider changing his insulin? I'm humbly thinking Lantus or Levemir... No, you wouldn't be seeing those incredible drops he gets on PZI; but, you might be seeing a far gentler curve with lower PSs...

It's just a humble, perhaps gentler, thought for both of you -- and Rachel...

Much love and countless encouraging, albeit humble, hugs for you all,

78. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hi Deb...I have missed hearing from you! (By the way, did you check out my song on the Community board?)

So....yes, Jack's ss is quite colorful. Poor little thing is just all over the place. I actually was going to ask the question soon about how long do you give a certain insulin to work before trying a different type...or how do you know when to switch. But I did have it on my list to talk about with the new vet. We have an appointment with her this Saturday. I am hoping it is good karma with her too...she sounds wonderful so far! But gentler drops sounds good to me.
    Thanks for the info on the vet board, I will check it out later when I am more awake and have eaten some chocolate. :)

Hope you are well, and thank you for the hugs, Rachel, Jack and appreciate them!

79. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, and, of course, you too, colorfully sweet Jack,

It's like 4am and has become my habit to look at Jack's spreadsheet when insomnia rules... There's just something about the stillness of the middle of the night that balances viewing all his colors...

He did have a nice, long blue run today! Making it to +8 still in the blues is a new personal best for him! And, then, poof... All gone... Sigh...

Just wish he got more duration... (I sighed already, right?)

If you are thinking of trying a different insulin, I humbly suggest you start a new thread and ask exactly that question or questions: "How long do you give a certain insulin to work before trying a different type? Or how do you know when to switch?" And, cross post it to the PZI Support Group... I'd be interested reading the responses...

Can't wait to hear how things go with his new vet! I'm guessing Saturday can't come soon enough, right?

Much love and continuing encouraging hugs for you, Rachel, and colorful Jack,

PS: Loved your song! Actually loved that whole thread...

PPS: CVS has the little bags of Cadbury Mini Eggs on sale: 2 for $1.50. You know, in case you're looking for a balanced breakfast...

80. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

So Deb, you will have another colorful day to look at at 4am when insomnia strikes!! How nice to know you are thinking of us at that time! I wish you were getting some sleep though. Today's numbers will make you scratch your head for sure.

I am anxious for Saturday to come for a few reasons...but I am certainly looking forward to meeting the new vet and hearing what she has to say. I actually just found out today that a coworker brings her asthmatic cat to the same vet and loves her.

Cadbury mini eggs sound good...I just have some Hershey Kisses now. :)

Thanks for all your hugs and support for me, Jack and Rachel! I don't know what I would do without Rachel's help right now. She deserves an extra helping of chocolate.

81. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, darling Rachel, and, of course, you too, furry conundrum Jack,

505 to 109 in three hours??? And, on 1 unit??? You're sure the vial says PZI, right? I'm speechless...

Okay, let's look at this from another angle... To the best of your recollection, what happened during those three hours? Meaning, was he playing hard/exuberantly with his furry buddies, or eating, or in a crazy mood? Or, did he take a really humongous poop? Or, toss a really gross hairball? How did he react when you started banging your head against the nearest hard object when the meter beeped that 505? (Guessing here...)

And, what's up with that auto feeder? It's brand new and shouldn't be unresponsive and getting stuck...

Well, I just got home from my part-time job and am going to get in my jammies and wait for a +6 or something... For all I know, Jack will be posting his own +6 or whatever with a little note saying Rachel has taken you to the ER to get Xanax via IV... Or maybe chocolate via IV... Maybe both!

It's not supposed to be like this, Darlene...

Much love and countless encouraging hugs for you all,

82. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Is everyone okay?

I'm up because of the thunder and lightning and torrential downpour. But, hey, at least it isn't snow!

Hoping you're all okay and warm and dry,
    Deb

83. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

So I went to bed around 11pm and Rachel checked the +6, so that's why it wasn't posted until now. :) lots of heavy rain here too.
    As far as the time span from 505 to 109, I wasn't home the whole time but Rachel was. He was acting fine, doing some play fighting with Tucker briefly. No signs of a gigantic poop...we are trying to keep more food out so he is snacking a lot.

I thought I had the auto feeder all set...the instruction sticker on the inside cover was peeling off and seemed to catch on the tray as it turned, making it stick. So I taped it on and set it for a few times with no food in it and it ran fine. So I put the food in it last night and set it to go off twice. I got up to go to the bathroom and checked it and it had gotten stuck again on the first feed. I advanced it manually, and then it did go off fine for the 2nd feed. Might need to bring it back for a new one.

He did give me a funny look when I threw myself on the floor when I got the 505 reading....then again at the 109 reading. I will need the psych ward soon at this rate! Maybe a Margarita IV instead of chocolate!

84. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He did give me a funny look when I threw myself on the floor when I got the 505 reading....then again at the 109 reading. I will need the psych ward soon at this rate! Maybe a Margarita IV instead of chocolate![/quote]

oh the agony of defeat we feel when the high numbers scream out at us angry(2)_cat ....but they must'nt win Darlene...they must'nt. take it in stride and forge ahead. it is what we do...as mom's.

85. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, God bless you Rachel, and, of course, you too, Sir Jack of the many colors,

Long ago and far away, my mom went through 63 days and nights switching between two hospitals for basically ten surgeries... My sister and I call it the year of The Foot; but, please don't tell mom we call it that... It was 2002.

Donna, my sister, is really good at finding food and figured every way to every food vendor in both hospitals -- and, the way back to mom's room. Me? I'm kind of a use the sun as my navigator girl and get horribly lost inside hospitals; and, as a result, would just kind of graze on mom's leftovers... At some point I realized she was ordering "food" she never planned on eating during my hospital visiting tenures, thus my grazing offerings... My dad used to do the same thing, so I guess she was pretty used to it...

Donna was horrified I was grazing off mom's tray. She actually drew me a little map directing me to fresh food and how to get back to mom's room without the benefit of using the sun as my navigator...

Hospital elevators are pretty interesting, as they have doors that can open on two different sides depending on whatever floor you hit the button for... But, of course, you know this, Darlene, because you are a nurse! (There is a point here...)

So, one day when I just couldn't even fathom grazing her leftovers, I told mom I was going for real food. Even offered to bring her back something sinful (yes, involving chocolate). Pulled Donna's crumpled map from my pocket and went foraging for fresh food and something sinful... Made a straight path to the cafeteria, got enough food for two meals, and headed back to mom's room.

Well, as previously mentioned, hospital elevators are pretty interesting... Somehow got off on the wrong floor with the different side of the elevator opening and was greeted by many people wearing hospital gowns immediately kind of clustering around me. I'm talking really way too close for the normal amount of space Americans generally prefer... So there I was clutching my two meals and something sinful for my mom, smiling, in an oh I'm in big trouble now kind of way... Actually had an incredibly quick conversation with God regarding please don't keep me here. He intervened via a nurse who noticed my visitor tag and immediately whisked me back on the interesting elevator...

My humble suggestion, dearest Darlene, is to say no to the psych ward. Margaritas could be a better alternative. And, yes, I went back to grazing off mom's tray until figured out stairs back to her room...

I am in awe of your brain, Darlene. And, your courage to reduce Jack's dose, not once, but twice. You know I humbly, yet firmly, believe his pancreas is not a goner... Nope. It's sputtering along just enough to make you think you're crazy; but, you're not...

Much love and countless encouraging hugs for you, Rachel, Jack, Tucker, Jordan of the two leg warmers; and, yes, the auto feeder,

PS: Aren't you glad you're not limiting Jack to two feedings a day? Hello pancreas!

86. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Cute story about your run in with the psych ward...you're lucky you got out with your dinner and treat! I agree the margaritas are a better idea. Maybe a good idae for Saturday night after our vet appointment. :)

I can't take all the credit for my brain, as Sue and Lori and the lovely ladies on the PZI board are trying to help me with the dosage. but after reading all the articles on rebounding it certainly seemed to make sense to decrease the dose a bit. And Lori...yes, I will overcome and do what I must as a kitty mom!!

As far as hugs for the auto feeder, I don't think that will happen. Today the cats seem afraid of it, lol. Jordan doesn't like to eat from it. Today I came home and Jack was just looking at the full helping in the little well that was exposed, then looked at me, rolled on the floor in his cute way and waited for me to get him more food. I scooped the food from the feeder into another dish and he ate it all up! I know they are testing me!! And I don't think I could ever have limited the poor little guy to just 2 feedings! I am hoping that pancreas will keep chugging along.

87. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, God still blesses you Rachel, and, of course, you too, colorful and still sweet Jack,

I'm glad you're getting help from Sue and Lori and the lovely ladies on the PZI support group! It doesn't mean I'm still not in awe of your brain and courage, though... I'm talking metaphorical balls of steel regarding dosing your Jack...

Glad you liked the psych ward story... Was even glad-der I got out!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not unusual for auto feeders. It's why I'm the "auto" feeder here...

Hello pancreas!!!

Much love and continuing encouraging hugs for you all -- but, not the auto feeder,

PS: Still ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPS: My mantra has always been: Without a sense of humor, we are lost...

88. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Balls of steel, hmmmm....LOL I love that comment!

We'll see what the demonic auto feeder decides to do tonight....I just filled it.

BTW Deb, I just made a photo album in the gallery here. added some pics, but I will need to get some of Jordan's little mismatched legs to add to the album. :)

89. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Darlene that phrase is so common here, especially on the lantus insulin we just say BOS. It means shooting a scary number...which takes ummm, yep, balls.
    you will learn we have lots and lots of funny abbreviations and expressions here.
    an entirely different language some might say.
    test and see if you can guess.
    OTJ
    Bean
    Alien
    TBP
    Drink the Koolaide
    The Falls

enough for now...that oughta keep ya busy......like you don't already have enuf to do :lol:

90. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

91. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, young Rachel who we all love -- and, of course, you too, sometimes extra-sweet, sometimes not, it's a mood/pancreas/demonic auto feeder thing, Jack,

Remember the orbs were metaphorical... ;o)

Still ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! I swear...

Well, now I certainly understand the wonder that is Tucker! And, the BFF reference... (Excuse me, but just what exactly was going on in that one photo op?) Am still looking forward to seeing Jordan's mismatched leg warmers... She's a beauty, by the way!

Much love and countless continuing encouraging hugs for everyone -- except the friggin demonic auto feeder,

92. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks Lori for the reminder on the dictionary, I had read through it a few times but I guess not as thoroughly as I should. I missed the BOS part! lol

Well, for some reason the feeder behaved last night and worked fine. Maybe it wanted your hugs and approval, Deb. But Rachel and I both missed the +6 reading as we were asleep.

Glad you liked the pics and could see Tucker's personality shine through. He is such a funny cat...he snores and snorts, makes weird noises, yells, says "Mama" but then can be the biggest cuddlebug. Now that jack has lost weight and Tucker is still 19 lbs, we do call Tucker Jack's BFF...but meaning his Big Fat Friend, hahaha. poor Tucker...I'm hoping the switch to wet food will help him lose a little and keep him from being a sugar cat too. Jack, on the other hand is sooo laid back and sweet, wanting his belly rubs and he has the sweetest little meow, so soft and quiet. He gets along with everyone. Jordan is Rachel's girl. She is attached to her like velcro!

Tomorrow is the visit with the new vet and I am very anxious to see how it goes. I have a list of questions but any other suggestions of what else I should ask about are welcome!

93. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how do i find the album? can deb or darlene just link me?

94. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

95. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

awwwww, how cute. Jack is a sweetheart and Tucker is quite a characture hm? are they brothers? And the little girl kitty, a sibling?
    Beautiful set of furry children. Thank you...............

96. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, darling Rachel velcroed to Jordan, Tucker who really should request one F be removed from BFF, and, of course, you too, apparently still sweet Jack,

Now the auto feeder is actually working; but, Jack decided he wasn't in a munching mood. Cats... Sheesh... Auto feeders... Scary sheesh...

Let's recap. It took two nights shy of two weeks of the most bizarre and colorful dance with Jack -- and you and Rachel finally slept. Be still my insomniac heart... Progress!

And, now tomorrow brings the new good karma vet... More progress!!

Please give an update on Jack and the new vet when you can, okay? We'll be anxiously waiting good karma news...

Much love and countless continued encouraging hugs for one and all -- well, we're a bit iffy on what to make or if we should hug the auto feeder,

PS: Hi Lori, and, of course, you too, Tom Tom,
    Glad you got to see the pics! Took me a while to figure out how to get there and actually view as well... Jack and Jordan are siblings. Tucker is Jack's best buddy...

97. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Thanks Lori, we think our furry children are pretty cute too. I seriously don't know what we would do without them, they make us laugh and smile so much. As Deb said, Jack and Jordan are siblings, we met them at the shelter when they were only about 4 weeks old, and took them home a few weeks later. We got Tucker from the same shelter when he was 12 weeks old, and the woman who worked there said he would be able to stand up for himself and should fit well with the other cats. He took to jack immediately, following him everywhere, worming his way under his arm when he was sleeping, etc. They've been BFF's ever since. :)

Deb...you are too funny with your salutations, lol. Auto feeder worked again last night...it's trying to get on your good side! And they did eat from it. It was nice to finally get a little more sleep the other night.

Numbers are still up and down, but not quite as wild in the swings as they had been. I will start a new thread with the vet update when we get back. Rachel is coming with me so she can be familiar with her too. The vet had suggested I bring my meter to the visit, so we can check the accuracy against their test, so I will be curious to see how the numbers are. I did go to the previous vet late yesterday (Banfield located inside PetSmart) and get Jack's medical records. The girl working there didn't even ask why, could have cared less that maybe we wouldn't come back. No warm and fuzzy feelings there.

Will post the update this afternoon...thanks again to all of you for your support....you are the best!!!! Lots of hugs to all of you!

98. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Darlene, darling Rachel eating Wheaties in order to un-velcro herself from Jordan briefly today, Tucker still trying to figure out how to delete an F from his moniker -- and, of course, you too, Jack, who's whole purpose in life right now is to provide the most colorful spread sheet imaginable -- or simply be extra sweet,

Do bring your meter and test strips (and a color print out of Jack's spread sheet). Chances are it will be a leg draw (vein...), but just ask for a bead of blood anyway. Whip out your meter, shove in the test strip, and sip. Let the new good karma vet know his spread sheets have meaning. Truly. If all else fails, his spread sheet could explain the circles under your eyes and Rachel's eyes...

This is exactly why you're taking Jack to the new good karma vet!

Will be looking forward to your update!

Much love and countless encouraging hugs for you all -- okay, maybe one hug for the auto feeder (It's a tough love auto feeder thing...),

99. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Deb why does Tucker have to wipe out the F in his BFF? are they not best freinds forever???????

100. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

LOL Lori...because in the earlier post I said we call Tucker Jack's BFF, but meaning Big Fat Friend! Tucker is 19 lbs and rather large now compared to Jack's smaller size since he lost weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.