Newly DX'ed, Kitty home from hospital (ketosis, FHL), Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patricia & Noodle, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Hello all! After much lurking over the past few days, I posted in the New Members forum and it was recommended I cross post here to get some more eyes on my case.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/newly-diagnosed-lots-of-concerns.131819/

Noodle is a 7.5 y/o female who's never had major health problems, until now. We've had a very scary week. I noticed last week she wasn't eating nearly as much and appeared to have lost some weight from her normal, but chalked it up to stress from my roommate packing up + her cat being stressed and lashing out at Noodle. By the end of the week she was somewhat lethargic, but seemed ok enough and would eat treats voraciously, just not her food.

By Sunday PM, she'd taken a turn for the worse and I brought her to the emergency vet. After bloodwork, we found a BG of 392, elevated ketones (~150), elevated bilerubin, and low electrolytes. She was admitted and given a tentative diagnosis of Ketosis (PH levels were normal) and FHL (enlarged liver shown in ultrasound, no biopsy) along with the diabetes. Monday was very hard with her completely lethargic and not much hope at all from the vets, although she did pick at her food a bit. She was stable overnight and by morning, I insisted they attempt to force feed her before we made a decision about a tube (risky) since her phosphorus and red blood cells dropped, and the bilerubin hadn't gotten better.

By afternoon Tuesday, she seemed much, much better. Started on 1U of Lantus Monday evening, BG staying in the 100s until she's due her next dose when it spikes to the 200s, ketones had dropped to 40 that morning as well. She was alert and much more herself when I visited that night. Moving her head where she wanted scratches, getting comfy in her cocoon, paying attention to her world. Vet said she'd even taken kibble into her nesting corner, apparently saving it for a snack later.

Today she is more active yet, was tolerating the syringe feeding overnight and still nibbling on her own, and all her numbers except bilerubin (6.8) and ketones (150) stabilized even more overnight (tested in the middle of her 3rd insulin cycle). The AM & PM vets mentioned those two can fluctuate during treatment and it's not necessarily a bad thing and we are now "cautiously optimistic." Those words seriously made me cry after Monday's fears.

After a visit this evening, I'm feeling better still. She was walking around, purring, giving me headbutts, and kneading in my jacket that she made a beeline for on a chair in the visiting room. She even tried to jump up there despite her bandaged, IV'ed legs... They said anytime she wasn't sleeping today she was up and eating, so they didn't syringe feed her as she was getting enough. Like I said, her BG levels are hanging out in the 100s between shots and jump up to the 200s just before she is due another 1U of Lantus, this has been steady since Monday evening. The plan is she can be discharged if her liver values + ketones catch up with her behavior tonight. She's still getting fluids and meds via IV.

I was given a ton of useful links in my original thread (thanks!) and I'm really just looking for some advice if all goes well and I get to bring her home tomorrow. I'm planning to pick up a meter tonight at Walmart. I have a 100pk of U-100 syringes (3/10 ml.cc capacity, 6mm, 31G) that I got with her insulin prescription. I also plan on picking up a few things for my own "crash kit" to set up at home.

Food-wise: I believe they are giving her Proplan wet at the vet right now as well as some dry food, I asked about a high calorie prescription food for home like MaxCal and her opinion is the increased carbs may affect her BG. Should I stick with Proplan or pick up some low carb wet food (she likes Wellness, BFF, Trader Joes Tuna for Cats, the occasional Friskies pate)? Should I continue feeding her dry food at home while she recovers? She's almost always eaten Chicken Soup for Cats and also likes Wellness Core. Should I grab some low carb treats to help ease the pain of giving her shots and poking her? She's VERY treat motivated and will come running for just about any bag she hears shaken up.

I know this is a lot. Thank you all so much for the wonderful resource. I spent Monday terrified and not eating myself and combing through the posts here has really helped me feel like this is something I can do. Go figure, the first night in this ordeal I feel like I can actually sleep, I'm going to have to stay up prepping for her return (knock on wood!).

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast Kitten Turkey and Giblet is a smidge higher calorie which may be helpful if she doesn't eat much.

3. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Hi Patricia and Noodle :bighug: I am sorry Noodle had to be hospitalized and you have a dx of feline diabetes, but you are never alone here!

When my Tiger came home from the hospital(3 trips!) I brought home a few cans of the vet's food, only because she is a super picky eater and rather than fight her inappetance, I fed her what she would eat at the time! Eventually, I weaned her off the vet food, in small increments I mixed in her regular Wellness foods, so as not to upset her tummy. You may have to experiment a bit to find a food that she will eat though!

I would recommend you pick up some kitty treats- Tiger loves Chicken Pure Bites, they are crunchy and low carb. Here's a list of other suggestions http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/list-of-low-carb-healthy-treats.9172/ , you give the treat a test time, now I don't have to go and find Tiger, she is waiting by her bowl in the kitchen and on her pillow LOL!

You may be sent home with medications for Noodle, such as anti-nausea or appetite stimulant pills. Are you versed in giving pills? I was not and failed miserable until I learned here about Pill Pockets, the best flavor is the Duck as it is sugar free-the other flavors are really NOT diabetic friendly!

If your kitty does like Wellness, it is pretty much higher in calories than other foods. I feed my Tiger Wellness Core as it is also lower in phosphorus than lots of other foods, she is CKD. You will also need something high carb for your Hypo kit- many here feed Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, but due to CKD again, I have been using Soulistic Triple Harmony.

Lastly, take care of yourself too- you have been under massive stress(been there,done that!) Get a good night's sleep- and please keep us posted how Noodle is doing! :bighug:

4. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks, @Tiger and Ruth ! Lots of good info there. She may be coming home with meds so the pill pockets are a good tip.

Got a good call from the doctor this am! Ketones are down around 15 (from 150), bilerubin down to about a third of the previous high. They'd like her electrolytes to be higher still, she's getting fluids via IV, is there a way for me to supplement this at home?

On the diabetes front, her BG spiked in the 300s before her am shot, is this normal early on? Could it be from her eating more yesterday?

I'm going in around 4:30 for the tech to show me how to administer her shots and if everything continues today, take her home!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A glucose of 300 mg/dL pre-shot is not unusual, especially in an unregulated diabetic. It can take some time to establish an optimal dose.
    Do pick up an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or the Targete Up and Up, matching test strips, and alternate site testing lancets (they make slightly bigger blood drops), plus some urine ketone/glucose test strips to help you monitor her health. While urine testing isn't super precise, if you get more than trace ketones, it'll give you a heads up in time to intervene for her safety. Detecting glucose in the urine indicates the blood glucose was above the renal threshold (about 240 mg/dL) at some point since the previous void.

6. Patricia & Noodle

I think I'll pick up the ReliOn Confirm, more members use that, right? Id feel more comfortable using one lots of other people have experience with. Will the alternate site testing lancets be labeled as that? What gauge should I get for my ease/her comfort? Should I get a pen or does the meter come with one? Urine testing strips for glucose are in addition to ketostix?

I've read your glucometer notes, but with "240 mg/dL" is that 240 what we'd say is her BG number or are they different?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Alternate site lancets will be a lower gauge (thicker) needle to improve your chances of getting blood. As you test, more capillaries will grow in the area (its called angiogenisis). That may let you switch to a higher gauge over time.
    KetoStix only test ketones; KetoDiaStix test ketones and glucose. Either is fine.
    A pen may come with the meter in a package, or purchased separately. I free hand instead as I get better visibility and control.
    There are different measurement systems, just like we can measure temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius (or Kelvin, but that's for the science geeks!)
    The US uses mg/dL, so that's the 240 you've heard. To convert to mmol/dL, you'd divide by 18.

8. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Re the sub q you an do it at home other you could supplement her water intake with an oral syringe (get them to give you a couple at the vet) or add a little water to her food. I would closely monitor her food and water intake so you know if it drops. Make a note of it on her spreadsheet.

I wouldn't change the food too much from the vet as you don't want to upset her tummy and until you are monitoring her blood glucose levels you don't want it to change too much without you knowing.

9. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

When my cat had DKA, we were able to keep him at home, and give subq fluids (once or twice a day depending on his drinking). If you vet is willing to do this, have the 1st subq you do at the vet so they can walk you through it. Also, adding water to the wet food helps, and the vet gave us potassium sprinkles to put on his food to keep the potassium up. Wet food formulated for kittens usually has higher fat, and therefore higher calories, although our vet did give us a prescription high cal/high fat and protein food to syringe feed. I can't remember the name, maybe "recovery" something.

If your cat's intake doesn't improve, maybe there is some nausea going on, and that can be treated as well.

10. Patricia & Noodle

Hello all! Noodle is now home and resting comfotably. I had a great session with her vet tech that made me feel comfortable giving her shots on my own and giving her the other meds (Zeniquin, Cypro, Denamarin). She's eating and drinking like a champ on her own, though she needs a little boost to get up on my 30" high bed to snuggle.

I've decided that for the weekend, I'll follow their instructions on care, keep the same food, etc. Her BG had been pretty steady since she started insulin in the hospital doing 1U Lantus + 3oz food twice daily. I can give her more food per meal if she wants it, but they don't want me free feeding. I'll have a follow up visit with her new primary vet (in the same practice as the hospital) on Monday and will discuss the TR protocol then. The tech mentioned she may be able to get me a "donated" Alphatracker from the hospital, too.
    I don't know if I want to start tracking her BG on my own these first few days while I'm still getting used to giving her shots, too, therefore won't be fiddling with her diet until then, either.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments you may find helpful to make, specifically, urine ketone and glucose monitoring, dehydration checks, food and water intake, and elimination. These will help you communicate with the vet and with us about how she is doing in the absence of blood glucose testing.

12. Patricia & Noodle

A little update:

We are doing pretty well! She didn't eat as much as I'd have liked this morning, but just ate like a champ before her evening shot. The vet is recommending feeding before her shots, leaving the food out if unfinished for a couple hours, then pulling it up. I know letting her graze longer should be ok on Lantus, but I'm worried about going against vets orders when I'm not testing yet.

When we got home last night, she was urinating a lot. She wanted to be on the bed with me, but was still struggling to get up and down off the bed urinating that much and had an accident (beds 30" high, she's small and was wary of the new step stool). So, I set her up on a towel over heavy duty plastic and let her be when I couldn't get her to the litter box. She's still pretty constipated, but her hairball remedy (Vets Health) was Ok'ed by the vet and has psyllium, so I gave her half a tablet to see if it helps her digestion. She pooed a little last night, none so far today. Vet says this is normal recovering from FHL.

She is not a happy camper with her pills, but I've managed to get them all in. She doesn't mind a water syringe every 1-2 hrs though! Her behavior seems great (resting, snuggling, and trying to escape her bedroom prison) and she even started grooming a little. She's loving getting brushed, too. I called the vet (her regular vet is the emergency hospital as well) 4 times already just to clarify things and get advice! Still scared to take my eyes off her so I didn't sleep much, but feeling good about how she's doing. I'm allowing myself to leave her and go run tomorrow, I have to live my life, right? I feel ok that it's 2 hours after her AM shot... She's always waiting at the bedroom door when I leave the room though, so I feel guilty!

13. phlika29

Hi

I just replied in your other thread. I think that as you are not testing yet it is actually more important that you do leave food down for her all day as you have no way of knowing if she drops low. This will help to keep her safe.

If you do go for a run please food down for the above reason.

I know you have a lot on your plate but hometesting really is the best way to keep your cat safe. It is daunting to begin with but we have lots of tips to make it easier.

14. Patricia & Noodle

I'll just reply to you here instead of thread jumping! @phlika29

Re: strength: She'd been confined in the cage in ICU for almost 4 days & my bed is 30" high. She was peeing a ton coming off 4 days on an IV, unhooked right before we came home, and just seemed to not be willing to go up and down every time. I have a step stool in here for her which she's using now mostly, but I think her pride got in the way at first. She's using the box now.

I was wary of going against her vets orders for the food this first weekend. I want to trust them since they brought her back from the brink... but the advice here is great, too. I guess even though she's doing well, I'm just so scared to jinx it. If you all think it would be wise to keep the food out tomorrow, I will. Her shot and breakfast are at 6, I'll be gone ~8-10 tomorrow, and ~8-12pm Sunday. She has a vet appt before I go back to work Monday.

15. phlika29

Hopefully others will chime in. The usual consensus is better high for a day than too low for a second. All the food will do is raise her blood glucose up a few points, but if she has gone too low that may be the difference between a hypo situation and not.

Remind us what food you are giving.

16. Patricia & Noodle

Proplan Chicken & Liver, she's eating the kitten food right now because that's what she was loving at the vet, but I'll transition to adult over the weekend. I'd rather feed a better quality wet, but appreciate that this is quite low carb.

I understand low is worse than high, but could her ketosis be why the vet would rather me meal feed than leave food out?

I'm sure all can relate, but I'm feeling incredibly guilty even stepping away to make myself food, shower, or use the restroom. I wanted to try to step away for a little to reassure myself and do something I do every day, but now I'm scared all over again...

17. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Vyktor was free fed all through his diabetes, with the exception of picking up the food two hours prior to shot time so that the preshot test was clear of food influence. If Noodle was free fed before I would stick to that and as others have mentioned, especially while you're not testing, it is best to leave food out for her safety. It would be worth asking the vet why they don't want you to free feed.

Get onto the testing as soon as you can. It's nice of the vets to offer the alphatrack but the strips are very expensive, personally I would go the human meter. It's great that she's treat driven. My mum's cat was diagnosed about a month ago and he is now famous in her circles for hearing the alarm go and racing to the testing spot. Neither the shots nor the tests are particularly painful. It's much worse in our mind :)

You can start preparing her for testing now by rubbing her ears and telling her how good she is - some cats initially don't like their ears being touched.

18. Patricia & Noodle

I asked and they seem to think if will cause spikes in her BG, I didn't want to argue with the discharging ICU doc on the phone as we will have a different doctor Monday and I plan to run everything by her then. Including feeding on lantus, using a human meter vs alphatrack, rigorous home testing, etc. I'm just trying to get myself through the weekend and adjust. They weren't against me testing, they just recommended waiting a few days while I get used to everything else. Considering I'm pretty paralyzed right now, I honestly would love that to be ok til Monday. Even reading the main guide to home testing that's linked here, it says "if you can't get the hang of it the first day or even week, don't stress." I'm trying to get her used to me giving her shots (which is going great) and her pills (eh), and maybe convince myself to leave my bedroom to have dinner. It's just been a lot.

19. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

It is all very overwhelming to start off with but don't worry, you'll be a pro before you know it :bighug:

20. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks, it's just hard not to feel like everything I'm doing is wrong since there's conflicting recommendations. :(

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sometimes, we have differing ideas about what may work compared to your vet. You have to experiment to find what works for your cat. By changing 1 thing at a time, you'll know how each change works for your cat. It does take time.

22. Patricia & Noodle

Yeah, I saw that going into this, I supposed I didn't realize how torn I'd feel with different recommendations? I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that it's ok to leave for a couple hours with her food left out. That I won't come back and she'll be in the same state I found her on Sunday before the hospital and DX. I guess I'm still feeling pretty traumatized. (IE: I'm pretty sure she just hiccuped and I'm ready to speed her back to the hospital.)

23. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ah yes, helicoptering. Been there; done that.

See what you think after reading this.

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  24. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks for sending that. I'm not sure if it's the normal reaction, but now I'm I'm tears, hah. But I did give her a kiss and got up to put on some pasta and mint tea for my own stomach, so there's that.

25. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

BJ beat me to the punch- we were all helicopter moms(well,I still am!) :rolleyes:

I had the same advice from our old vet regarding feeding- so I tried it his way and it didn't work for us and then I found out that 6 mini meals is actually easier on your cat's pancreas and you will learn to help steer Noodle's BG with the timing of your small feedings. I would also say yes to leaving food down when you go for your run- you might eventually want to look into a timed feeder, I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Eatwe...877&sr=8-1&keywords=petsafe 5 meal pet feeder

If you do get a human glucometer, you would be able to get test strips pretty much anywhere- whereas with the Alpha Trak, not only are the test strips more expensive, they are only available from your vet or online.

Just curious, how did Noodle get his name?

26. Patricia & Noodle

Noodle is a lady! She got her name from my friend who found her in a bush as a very tiny kitten. I tried to change it when I took her home, but she already responded to Noodle so I was stuck. It felt a little like she chose her own name. :)

I did pick up a Relion Confirm + strips. I just am very intimidated by it and anticipate it will just throw me into a new level of helicoptering right now. I just don't know if I'm ready for it on weekend one. She's being very rude about her pills and I'm trying to focus on making that and her shots a smooth ride right now. I've been playing with her ears and getting her used to me touching them today. We will be seeing her vet on Day 7 of Lantus, for what that's worth.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Try testing yourself or practicing on a piece of fruit to get a feel for it.

28. Patricia & Noodle

I'll definitely start getting myself used to it tomorrow, I'm just worried I'll start testing.... and want to test her every hour every day. I think I need to calm down a little first.

Question: It's +4 since her lantus and she is still nibbling the wet food I left out on your suggestions. When should I pull it to encourage her to eat before her insulin in the morning? It was hard to get her to eat half a 3oz can this morning, she ate over 2/3 a can tonight before it'd even been down an hour.

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its OK if she grazes. Lantus is very gentle so it isn't likely to drop her like a rock the way NPH would do.

30. Patricia & Noodle

Ok. I'm just worried about making sure she gets a good start on her AM meal preshot tomorrow. Maybe I'll grab it if I wake up in the middle of the night to encourage that if there's even any left.

31. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We test, then feed, then shoot all within about 15 minutes or so. No need to wait for eating to complete before giving Lantus.

32. Patricia & Noodle

I've seen that, I'm just worried she won't even start eating! She is on Cypro, so I guess that's probably null now that I really think about it.

How long after eating is it to consider her having an "empty stomach"? I need to give the Denamarin on one.

33. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

About 2 hours after a meal.

Also, as insulin starts to lower the glucose, that generally provokes some hunger naturally.

34. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

I am so sorry - Please give Miss Noodle my humble apologies and scritches...:bighug: I love how she kept her name too!

Learning to test and give shots is intimidating- I hear you! When you practice rubbing her ears to get them warm, try using a heated rice sock- but more importantly, give her a treat each time. Pilling a cat is not fun, I hear you there too that's why i suggested the pill pockets or I try to have meds that can be compounded into liquids. What are you pilling? If it is 2 or 3 things there are gelcaps you can stuff the pills into. You're doing a great job, Noodle is a very lucky kitty to have you!

35. Patricia & Noodle

They've discontinued the duck pockets for cats! And of course she spit out her Cypro this morning without me seeing, then I didn't get it right in the back of her throat so she tasted it and started drooling like crazy.

And to top it all off, I'm pretty sure I had a fur shot just now. Called the vet and I'll just grab some Ketodiastix from Walgreens to keep an eye on it. Does this change the letting her graze strategy?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  36. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check the dog section. They may still have those. Or use a piece of soft cheese to wrap the pill.
    And don't re-shoot; you don't know how much went in.
    Nope, doesn't change letting her graze. Just keep an eye on her as she gets to about +5 to +7 hours post shot.

37. phlika29

You are doing great so don't worry.

I use empty gel capsules size 4 for remi. I can fit about 4 different tablets into one. They are smooth, tasteless but always need to be followed with at least 3 ml of water. You can order them online.

38. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'll see how big the duck pill pockets for dogs are and maybe pick them up if we struggle again tonight.

She seems to be doing ok, but what are the main signs of high BG? The drugstores around me only had ketostix, I got them, but I can't check for high BG. Also, she's pretty constipated, the vets mentioned it's just something you tend to run into after bouts of FHL. She's still eating a lot, but straining to go and only has managed to pass a couple small poos since Thursday night. Anything I can do to make it easier for her or am I better off calling to see if we can get an enema? It's been since Monday at least.

39. phlika29

Re the constipation this website may help give you some tips.
    http://www.felineconstipation.org

Keeping her water uptake high will help. I have heard people try pumpkin and I have used miralax.

Did the shop not have any glucose urine test strips such as diastix. They give you some indication but not as accurate as a meter. Getting the ketostix strips is good. That is ultimately the one you are concerned about the most if she is high.

40. Patricia & Noodle

I've checked out that site and the guide on felinecrf.org, maybe I'll try a little pumpkin with her dinner and give her some more water.

No glucose urine strips at the Walgreens on my corner, it was weird. The pharmacist thought most places wouldn't have them anymore. I have to go get her food later, so I'll check another store then.

41. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Be cautious pushing too much through from the mouth; if she has a blockage, the pressure could cause tearing of the GI tract. Giving water will help keep things softer.

42. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You can always break off a tiny bit of the dog size pill pocket and wrap that around the medication. No need to give the entire pill pocket. That's what I do.

43. Patricia & Noodle

That's what I just did! I didn't realize they'd be so maleable.

Her back still smells like Lantus from earlier today, but I'm quite sure I got her PM shot in fine. I should probably wipe her back down with a damp cloth so I can judge better next time. I was also able to use one of her ketostix to test her urine and she's good there, too.

44. Deb & Wink

Yeah Noodle! Good readings on the ketostix, one more bit of medication in a pill pocket to help you feel better and best of all, a loving mommabean. Your Patricia is taking good care of you Noodle.

45. Patricia & Noodle

I had another partial fur shot this morning (same thing happened AM cycle yesterday). :( She's also got long fur on her body and I think the 6mm needle on my syringes might be too short? I think it slipped out this morning mid shot when she moved a smidge and because the fur is long I can't tell until it's too late. I'll be gone from +2 to +5, any tips on what my uninformed roommate should look for when she pokes her head in? Also, how can I get this lantus smell off her back so I can use the smell test on future shots? I tried a damp washcloth to no avail yesterday.

I tried to test her BG and she's not crazy about it, but didn't put up too much of a fight. Unfortunately after poking her a few times, I just couldn't seem to get it. She has longish black fur on her ears too and by the time I thought to try the inside, I had about one more attempt left before I thought I should take a break from sticking her. Maybe I should try again when I get home to make sure she's not getting to high?

And! She's still trying to poo this morning with nothing coming out, she passed a couple more small ones last night, they're not rock hard but not totally soft. I read all through felineconstipation.com and the vet tech I called last night just recommended more water. I bought pumpkin, but don't feel right giving that to her until I know she doesn't need an enema. She's still eating a ton and finishes her 3oz can within a couple hours of me putting it down and is hungry again a few hours later (she was knocking over my trashcan at 4am to get to empty cans!!). I worry about giving her more because I'm not testing yet and screwing up her shots. :( We have an appointment tomorrow, lets see if my nerves last til then.

46. phlika29

It is more tricky giving shots to a cat with long hair. When you go to the vets tomorrow you could ask them to shave a four patches of hair for you ( so you can alternate where you are giving the insulin). That way you can see the needle going in.

With regard the ear testing it does get easier but you are right to give up if you can't get it after three times. You and noodle will be too stressed. Make sure you have lots of treats for both of you. You can always try again later on in an hour or so. To overcome trouble finding veins on cats with dark coloured ears I have seen that people use torches to light up the veins. Again maybe the vet could remove some hair for you on the ears too. Or I guess you could cut it short yourself.

She could be eating a lot because her diabetes is not yet regulated and so her body is not yet getting the food it needs. It is okay to feed more to compensate for this for now.

Re the housemate. The biggest worry is if noodle goes low (am not saying that this is likely just the one that is the most dangerous if it happens). Just give her a heads up on the main symptoms to look for in this link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/
    Make sure there is honey or karo or a high carb dry food in the house. Again this is just in case, am not in any way saying that it is likely. I don't want to make you nervous about going out, this is purely for info.

47. Patricia & Noodle

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not super worried about her going low because of the missed shot. I was wondering what she should look for specifically due to that. I feel so bad not getting it right two mornings in a row and having to leave. :(

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A comb may be used to part the fur too.

49. Patricia & Noodle

I didn't even think of that, so simple haha.

She pooped today! She's got to feel so much better, the end was so dense and hard. Must have been left from when she was still dehydrated. I've never been so relieved to see poop on the floor! Guess she felt it coming and just went for it. It's her world, I'm just living in it.

50. phlika29

:):):woot: Your last comment is so funny.

51. Deb & Wink

Yeah for a successful poo for Noodle! Yes, we celebrate poo too here.;)

You might think about shaving a tiny patch on the outside edge of Noodles ear. When I first got Wink I used a safety razor and very gently passed it over the fur on his ear. With his dark black fur and those black ear edges, it was hard for me to even see the blood drop. Having a bit of bare skin helped immensely. The ear inside his ears is pretty long too, so I struggle to keep it out of the way and smearing the blood drop, which then means I have to poke him again.

A dab of Neosporin ointment with Pain Relief (or generic) or a dab of vaseline on the ear can also help the blood drop to bead up and not soak into your kitties fur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.