Newly rescued kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Advocate Windsor, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Advocate Windsor

Cat Advocate Windsor New Member

Hello, thank you for having this forum available. I run a cat rescue and I've just rescued my first senior diabetic homeless cat. I've rescued a lot of cats with varying issues but none with diabetes so I have a lot to learn. I specifically need help with sourcing a good at home tester which needs the least amount of blood for anow accurate reading. I don't want to have to poke this poor girl more than absolutely necessary. Any direction will be helpful to me especially if they are not overly expensive. As a rescuer, I'm always broke.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. If you can post your questions on the Health board you will get more responses. Also tell us about what you are currently feeding her and the insulin she on. There are many ways we can help you save money while still giving your new girl wonderful care.

For home testing you can use any human glucose meters, even most store brands. I do not know if Walmart near you. If so many of us use the Relion brand meters.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just read the box and find one that requires a tiny sample size. (.3 mm) Relion micro is one. I use a pet meter called alphatrak, but the strips are expensive, so if cost is an issue go with the human meters. Keep in mind doing they run lower then a pet meter your vet uses.

4. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Seeing as the OP is from Windsor Ontario Canada the Relion Meters are a no go locally unless they go cross border shopping at a US Walmart. Is there a sticky post for low cost meters/strips that are Region specific ?

The cheapest test strips I found in local box stores and or pharmacy's is around $60 a box (100 strips) for the GE200 Glucose Meter. Costco might have cheaper strips for various brands but I don't have a membership so I can't say what the cost is there.

Ordering online is an option but be careful of shipping cost and if any duties are going to be charged. A $40 box of 100 strips could end up costing over $70 with shipping and duty.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

One suggestion: go check out the cost of strips at Shoppers Drug Mart. They can then be bought at 20% off every Seniors' Day. If the poster isn't old enough a friend or relative can do the buying. You also earn Shoppers Optimum points. This is how I get my test strips. I buy my Lantus there OTC but there's no discount on it. It earns me points though. Periodically, I cash in points to pay for Teasel's diabetes supplies.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used to cross border shop for my strips and meter (I'm in B.C.) I also have a post box just across the border and would buy in bulk. In addition to the Relion at US Walmart's, the Glucocard01 at ADW (who will ship to US post boxes) is a pretty good price. I never had an issue at the border. The border guards just rolled their eyes when I said I was getting diabetic supplies for my kitty. :) Shipping was free over a certain value.

If you are interested in pursuing the Relion or Glucocard option, let me know via PM, and I'll send you a meter for free. I have an extra I no longer need. To contact me, just click on my name under the picture and Start Conversation.

In Canada, the Freestyle Lite takes a pretty small drop of blood. For that meter or others, check out Ebay for test strips. You can get them a lot cheaper that way.

And thank you for rescuing a diabetic senior kitty. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.