No Grain, Low carb m]Medium fat and High protein

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, can anyone suggest a canned food that meets these guidelines? We currently feed Wellness Chicken & it is a big hit, but I did notice the fat content to be high & my girls are a good weight now, fearful after a lot of Wellness they may become overweight?

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Purina DM recently changed there formula and removed the corn. I called them 2 days ago. Here's the stats they report:
    Protein 49.3
    carbs 7.2
    fats 35.9
    fiber 3.4

7 of the first 9 ingredients are animal protein or water.

Kitties metabolisms utilize fats differently as I recall, and they need some. Try finding Dr lisa's article, at catinfo.org/felinediabetes ,I think, although her info on DM is now old.
    cat_pet_icon

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Nancy are these the as fed values or guaranteed analysis? It's very important to know what these numbers are representative of, otherwise sadly they are meaningless.

This is from Janet's web page.

4. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Innova EVO canned (I assume the kitten and cat food w/ the purple label) is a little better than the Wellness chicken re: protein and fat, according to J&B's food chart. It's about 6% higher protein/lower fat. I also find it to be a little less expensive than Wellness, and the weasels love it. I didn't notice anyone gaining weight on the Wellness, but they do all get chunky in the winter, and trim down in the spring, no matter what they're eating. I'm just so happy to have found high quality foods that everyone likes, that I try not to mess with it too much.

5. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

:razz: I really don't know, just reporting the phone conversation, however these are not numbers from the back of the can, and they are very specific, so I don't think they represent the "guaranteed analysis", but probably "as fed".

Give them a call and let us know 1-800-879-1266

I find it doesn't give my kitty a huge post food surge and he eats a whole can at a time. Check the numbers on his ss. :razz:

I always worried about the glycemic index of foods like carrots, blueberries, etc and wondered why they were in cat food.

Good luck cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.