Non-diabetic cat food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joanj, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanj

Joanj Member

My diabetic baby, Lucy, went to the Rainbow Bridge last week, only 3 weeks after being diagnosed. I was so overwhelmed with info during that time and now I'd like to go back and regroup for the sake of my non-diabetic kitty, Rocky.

Rocky is 5 years old and fairly active. I've been trying to transition him to wet food (both my kitties always got some Fancy feast in the am but only ate a little of it). Both cats used to be on Purina One dry mostly. Lucy was overweight but Rocky is not so now I am at least measuring his food intake so he doesn't overeat. He often doesn't even eat his allowed amount of dry for the day tho.

I've tried many, many of the canned foods while Lucy was sick. I was trying to get her to eat so we tried every brand/flavor out there. I thought, now that she's gone and I can focus on Rocky, I want to get him to eat better. I bought some Dr. Elsey's from Chewy on my last order and have been mixing it with the Purina One in hopes of transitioning him over. Over the years I bought various kinds of better cat food, grain free and all, and the best I could get them to eat it, it was still mixed with Purina One.

I know most of the advice here is for diabetic kitties but has anyone dealt with trying to get their other no-diabetic kitties over to a better diet as well? I don't want to go thro this diabetes thing again - ever. I see now if I'd done better with Lucy over the years, she might not have ended up in her situation. Is Dr. Elsey's a good choice in conjunction with FF or should I just try and get rid of the dry altogether?

Rocky is very weird about his food. He always acts like he wants something and gets very excited when I give him any food, then he sniffs it and walks away. I started brushing him at these times thinking maybe he just wants attention but he's never really dived into any type of food.

I'd appreciate any hints I can get. I really want to do better with Rocky so he stays healthy. I've had many cats over the years who mostly ate Purina One who didnt get overweight and mostly died at age 15 or over. One of my kitties was 20 years old when he left us last fall. Maybe I'm over thinking this but Lucy's illness really shot a hole in my heart and I want to do the right thing. Thanks!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to read about your loss of Lucy. Condolences and lots of hugs. I can certainly understand your wish to make sure Rocky is as healthy as you can help him to be, and hopefully not have to deal with FD again. I don't have any advice, Idjit is food driven and completely happy with a low carb, canned / fresh food diet. It was very easy to transition him. I know that other members will chime in with some good suggestions though. Please take very good care of yourself now too, it's a tough time and we are here for you. :bighug:

Joanj likes this.
  3. Joanj

Joanj Member

Thanks. Its been rough but focusing on what i can do going forward helps. I have 4 dogs who are on measured food but dogs eat anything-lol

4. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

With Rocky your just going to have to go slow and find out what is going to work with him. Keep an eye on how he reacts to various foods, his likes and dislikes, and his eating patterns. Keep an eye on his weight to make sure he stays around whatever is ideal for him. Changing foods can often be a battle of wills, and cats are very, very patient. They will wait you out til you give in. :cat:

Joanj likes this.
  5. Joanj

Joanj Member

Wow, don't i know it! His weight is good and I know that plays a part in diabetes. I'll keep trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.