? Not eating, vomitting, glucose high

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne873, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne873

Suzanne873 New Member

Campy was doing well on Lantus between .5 and 1 unit a day one time a day in the morning but now I am in a different place. Her numbers have been in the 400s in the morning. In addition to her 8 am glucose check at 421, she didn't eat FF dinner the night before and vomited 3x during the night. She wouldn't eat FF in the morning so I gave her tuna water (my go to when appetite is low) but she didn't lap it up as usual but she ate enough that I felt I could give her a shot. At 2:30 glucose only came done to 286. The vet and I spoke this morning and suggested I go back to .5 twice a day but stated and made it clear that she has more issues than just diabetes so it is hard to keep her numbers steady-- fpl is 6.3 so i know her pancreas is inflamed and monocytes are high 1638., just was treated for a UTI. On top of all this she lost more weight on Jan 29 her weight was 9.1 lbs which is down from 9.45 on Jan 23

Any thoughts on how to proceed and recommendations to bring her appetite back so I can give her shots.

2. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Maybe if you provide Campy's spreadsheet and labs, the members who are so experienced can help. If really worried, maybe you can place 911 in title? I am a newbie that knows nothing.The members are helping me soooo much!!!!

Paula likes this.
  3. Suzanne873

Suzanne873 New Member

Adding most recent labs as suggested.

Attached Files:

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

5. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there...where is the ss?
    Did you give insulin today?

6. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that Campy is not well. I am very frustrated as well with Gus not eating for several days and BG got sky high. His fpl was also elevated 6.7 and u/s showed many changes in his intestinal tract, pancreas, kidneys etc. What worked for us in the past was baby food, adding pinch of catnip and sometimes we have to resort to syringe feed and medications.

Sending vines and prayers for Campy and you.

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

info on pancreatitis
    I personally do not have Pancreatitis experience however I have been around here long enough to learn that if can be extremely painful. Did the vet give you anything for pain? An appetite stimulant? Something for nausea?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

9. Suzanne873

Suzanne873 New Member

Thanks everyone. The only meds my vet gave was cerenia so I gave her a small dose in case she wasn't eating due to nausea. I had forgotten about it so thanks for the reminder. BG at 7pm was 168 and I got her to eat a little bit so starting her on 2x a day .5 units. I just have to be careful because last time she was on twice a day she dropped pretty hard by mid-morning. I ran out to the store to get more testing strips and baby food that I'll give a try.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you considered using calipers to meaure less than 0.5 units? Several folks using Lantus do this. There is a post here explaining how. Here is the link

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We would be able to help more with dosing, too, with a spreadsheet. If you need any help with it, please send me a private message and I can do it for you quickly.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  12. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Actually, your test results show that your cat does have pancreatitis. Lipase is shown as 6.3. The pancreatitis is most likely why Campy is vomiting.

The standard treatment for pancreatitis is supportive as there is no "cure" and no medication to make it go away. Fluid therapy to avoid dehydration, anti-nausea, antacid, and pain meds if needed. One thing I always found that helped Squeaker were B12 injections.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lipase levels are not reliable assays in cats -- they use the information for dogs, not cats. The definitive test is an fPLI.

14. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Sorry should have specified that it is the Spec fPLI has a result of 6.3.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Since it sounds like pancreatitis is the culprit (thanks for the clarification @Anitafrnhamer), I'd look at the Primer on Pancreatitis that Elizabeth linked. Once the Cerenia has the nausea under control, an appetite stimulant will help and your kitty should be getting pain meds (buprenorphine) since it will help Campy feel better. Pancreatitis is very painful.

16. Suzanne873

Suzanne873 New Member

So I was only able to take BG tests today and haven't used your template before so I am sharing my charts and indicating today's results here. The Excel sheet tabs are by the dates I tracked for my vet. Feb 4: 7 am - 397 (.5 unit of Lantus), 12 pm - 227, 7pm - 406 9 a bit stressed due to be being poked) at 7:30 I gave her .5 units again. No vomiting and appetite was a bit better today. She likes the spoonful of turkey baby food I put on top of her FF - Thanks Elizabeth and Gus. I will inquire about the buprenorphine. It makes me sad to keep seeing the young picture of her because she isn't that alert kitty anymore. This journey I am taking with her is very hard.

Attached Files:

17. Sandy and Black Kitty

We have all been where you are and yes the journey at times can be very hard.
    Folks here will help prop you up and guide you safely along.

To make the best assessment of what is going on with Campys BG we need to be able to see the whole picture, color coded in the standard way. Please set up your ss using the template. It will make it easier for those willing to help. Let us know if you need help with the ss. There are folks here that can get it up and running for you quick like a bunny.

We came to FDMB/LL before the ss system of tracking was put in place. Fortunately it showed up shortly thereafter. I cant imagine going through our journey without it.

Hang in there and hang in here.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.