? Not eating while on antibiotics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barri & Sonny, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi All, this is a continuation from my previous thread "Limping Right Paw" Sonny has been on antibiotics for a few days and wearing a cone. He has been eating fine with it, with some help obviously. After his pill last night things changed. He barely touched his 10:30pm and 2am feedings and this morning, wouldnt even touch a piece of chicken. Drank water and then threw it up with what looked like mucus or something in it! Any ideas??

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

What type of antibiotic is Sonny on? Some antibiotics can be hard on the stomach and should be given once there is food in his system already. Also using a probiotic can help to ease the gastrointestinal effects of the antibiotic. I have never had to use any probiotics so I can't recommend one sorry.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That not infrequently happens with oral aantibiotics. My BunBun has similar problem last week when he was on the Clavamox liquid. He also had diarrhea. I ended up with some syringe feeding and Cerenia and Ondansetron

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If it was several hours since he had eaten and if the vomitus was a whitish, slimy foam it may have been due to excess stomach acid build up because of lack of food.

Mogs

5. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

They gave him fluids, tested his blood, gave him an anti nausea shot. The worst news of all which im sure contributed to this...his BG level was through the roof!!! 509!! Back on insulin we go! He was fine for months with periodic testing. I think all the stress of everything caused this. I cant give him food or water until like 230 as per the vet...poor boy wants water now but with the shot and all he vomited this morning vet wants him to have nothing for a few hours

6. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

The shot the vet gave him was Cerenia...does anyone know how long til Sonny wants to eat again? I cant give him insulin til then!

7. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

And he refuses to eat now...just drinking alot

8. Critter Mom

The few times Saoirse has had Cerenia it worked within a couple of hours.

Try getting Sonny to lick some food off your fingers. Sometimes that can kick start the appetite. Here are some more ideas:

Persuading your cat to eat

The sleepy eating trick is a good one. Also, try sticking a few paperback books under Sonny's food dish to raise it a little; it can really help a lot when a kitty's nauseated.

I really feel for you dealing with lack of appetite and worry over giving insulin. It's hard going, so I'm sending you some big :bighug::bighug::bighug:s to try to cheer you up a little.

Mogs

9. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Thanks! I had my husband get a can of tunafish...he rejected completely the pate today AND the boiled chicken which he usually goes crazy for. He told me ate like 10 bites of the tuna so we were able to give a very small ( 1 unit ) of insulin....hopefully that will make him feel a bit better and he will start eating again...im so scared that he wont eat and the vet mentioned hospital! We dont have the funds for that...im a mess

10. Critter Mom

Are you sure that Sonny can smell his food OK? They won't eat what they can't smell. Tuna is probably stronger-smelling than the patés and the chicken. Try gently warming the paté a little to see if that makes a difference.

I really, really feel for you. Sending more prayers that Sonny starts eating properly ASAP.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Barri & Sonny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.