Not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mufasa24, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

its been almost 3 weeks since Mufasa’s diagnosis and a little less than 2 weeks on home insulin. He is getting 1 unit of lantus twice daily. He doesn’t seem to be doing any better and is barely eating. His bg at the vet on Sunday was 150 and before giving him his insulin it has ranged from 300-500. Since it’s always been ok I haven’t been checking it every time which I know is frowned upon but the vet didn’t even recommend testing at home at all. I tried buying new food but he still isn’t eating much. Only licking it and maybe a few bites but that’s it. I feel like he can’t see it which may be part of the problem but I’m thinking its time to call the vet and go back in?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He should be able to smell it even if he can't see it.
    He might be nauseated and that is why he is not eating. Some cats do not eat well at the beginning of the FD diagnosis.
    I know my cat Sheba get thin and was not interested in eating in the beginning and she was a very food motivated cat normally.
    I would ask the vet for some anti nausea medications such as cerenia and Zofran (ondansetron) to give Mufasa.

3. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

He does seem to be nauseous. If I hold the food to his nose to smell it he will gag. I’ll ask the vet about this, thanks.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That does sound like nausea. Does he also lick his lips? That is another sign of nausea

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Please contact your vet. Not eating enough can quickly turn into a very dangerous situation for cats.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Testing is very important, you say "since it's always been ok" that's until it isn't. We have recently had some terrible scares with cats getting insulin but not being tested. Please test at least before every injection and try to get some tests in during the day and at night also. Most cats go lower at night. Testing helps prevent hypos, which are very dangerous and can be life threatening.
    I'm sorry Mufasa isn't eating well, I sure hope you can get some meds to help alleviate that, he feels better and starts eating.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

Took him to the vet this morning. His bg was 300. She gave him some fluids and dose of cerenia for nausea. Going to see how it works today and will then in the morning. If it helps she’ll give me some to give him at home. If not it might be his time. Hoping for the best.
    If it does work does anyone use the injectable at home or only the pills? I’ve had difficulty getting him to swallow pills in the past

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Prayers and vines that it works for him and he gets his appetite back. Once the nausea is under control you could try an appy stimulant like Cyproheptadine or Mirtazapine.

9. Mufasa24

Mufasa24 New Member

My friend who’s a vet tech got me a few pills of donated mirtazapine but I could not get him to swallow it

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

My cat doesn't like to swallow pills, either. I buy Pill Pockets and wrap his pills in a thin "skin" of Pill Pocket - I don't use the whole thing, because they are high carb - and he swallows it with no problem! ;):):cat:

EDIT: Just make sure not to give him the appy stimulant if he is still nauseated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.