Not sure about dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PatJ, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatJ

PatJ Member

.My cat was put on 3.50 units of Prozinc, up from 3 units and was really unwell and wouldn't eat so I lowered it to 2.50 units because he was very lethargic on 3 units. I've been frightened to lower the dose too much but I've gone down to 2.25 units or even 2.00 units if his numbers are lower, but I really need help because I don't really know what I'm doing and my vet wants to raise the dose. Is he right? Could anybody tell by looking at his spreadsheet? I feel totally bewildered with this insulin dosing and would be so grateful for your help. Does an insulin overdose make them lethargic, or not enough insulin? Some days, he's as bright as a button, other days, he just lies the whole day in the armchair. But he comes to life when it's feeding time! Please could someone take a look? Thanks very much

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. PatJ

PatJ Member

No I didn't think to do that. Thanks Sharon. Can I just say that I think all you people are amazing. You are all so kind and so helpful.I don't think I could have found a better place to come to for help than this one. Thank you so much.

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Pat! Please do post in the Prozinc forum - most of us don't look out here unless we're tagged.

Just quickly - yes, you need to increase the dose. As far as being lethargic - the high numbers you're seeing will make a kitty feel unwell. It's important to get those numbers down into healthier ranges. The tricky part is that as the numbers decrease, that can also make them lethargic for a time, until their body starts to readjust to those healthier, lower numbers. This whole thing is a process and we can help walk you through it. It's just going to take some time.

Great job getting your spreadsheet going and home testing! You have a lot of data which will really help as we get that dose adjusted. Come post over in Prozinc and we can help you figure out how much and when to make those increases.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.