? *Not sure if/how much I should shoot....help!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Petey'smom, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

OK, so this is the first time Petey has had a pre-shot BG under 200. He usually gets 2 units of Vetsulin (twice a day) but with his BG so low I don't think 2 units is a good idea. We use the Relion Prime meter and u40 syringes so, I can't do 1/2 units. Would it be safe to give him 1unit? I have never had to adjust his dosage before so I'm pretty nervous. Could one of you awesome sugar beans help a sister out, pretty please?

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

In general with a newly diagnosed cat, you wouldn't give any insulin at all when the pre-shot is under 200 as there's not much data on what their pattern looks like so for now please don't shoot at least until we can get more people looking at your post. Unfortunately, I can't see Petey's spreadsheet - it says I don't have permission to view it, so it looks as though you might need to go back into the settings and share it. And I'm not familiar with Vetsulin as I've never used it. So I can't advise you on what would or wouldn't be safe for Petey today.

Can you add the question prefix to you thread title? If you go to edit the title, you can get a drop down box of prefixes to use - just select the question mark one. That will get more people looking at it. And you might want to cross-post in the Vetsulin sub-forum too to see if anyone is about there who can help you. :)

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We can't see your spreadsheet ....You have to go in and change the permissions so "anyone with the link" can view

I don't know what number your Pre-shot is since it's not listed here, but what you can do is STALL, don't feed, and test again in about 20 minutes.

Go to the top right corner where it says "Share"...click and a new box comes up...go to the bottom right where it says "advanced" and click there.....Choose "anyone with the link" and then "done"

Petey'smom likes this.
  4. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

ok I made his ss to be shared with "anyone with a link" or something like that... lol

manxcat419 likes this.
  5. manxcat419

Your spreadsheet is working fine now - thank you. :)

Petey'smom likes this.
  6. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

Per Chris & China's advice, going to hold off on the shot for now and test again in a few minutes. I'll update the ss when I do.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  7. manxcat419

That will definitely help - at the moment we can't see if he's still dropping or if he's coming back up from a lower number than that 144. If he's rising, he might be over 200 at the next test or very soon afterwards.

Petey'smom likes this.
  8. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

ok he's going up now it's 208

9. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

I'm guessing it's ok to feed & shoot normal dose... but I won't till I hear back...

10. manxcat419

He should be fine I think - @Chris & China does that sound OK?

I would, however, get a +2 if you can - his ss does show him going down to 56 of this dose on 4/23 so we want to make sure he's not heading that low later on this evening!

Petey'smom likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah...if you shoot the 2 units, I'd plan on getting a +1 and +2 so if he starts to go down too quickly, you can intervene sooner rather than later

Petey'smom and manxcat419 like this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

Neither I or @manxcat419 have any experience using Vetsulin, but the principles of keeping them safe are the same.....just make sure you have plenty of testing supplies and some high carb food in the house in case you need it

It's a harsh insulin for cats and can take them down quickly, so just keep an eye on him and test!:)

manxcat419 likes this.
  13. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

Definitely will test for the next few hours. Thanks SOOOOO much guys!! It Is such a huge blessing having you here!! Panic averted! :bighug:

manxcat419 likes this.
  14. manxcat419

I'll be about for a good few hours yet today - if he does start heading low and you need some help or just reassurance that what you're doing is right (getting low numbers up is a standard procedure no matter what the insulin), you can tag me and I'll be able to get back to you within a few minutes. :)

Petey'smom likes this.
  15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you have a sturdy ruler with millimeter markings or 32nds of an inch, you can use that to line up the syringe and measure smaller doses than full units. Calipers are even more precise. Magnifiers can be very helpful when measuring smaller increments.

Petey'smom likes this.
  16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yo can easily estimate 1/2 uni on a U40 syringe.
    Also, y can use the human U100 syringes and get accurate incremental doses since on a U100 syringe each 1/2 unit of a U40 insulin in a U100 syringe is o.2 units.
    1 units of a U40 insulin in U100 insulin is up to the 2 1/2 unit markings on the U100 syringe.
    3 units would be 1.2 units
    3 1/2 would be 1.4 units

17. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

Sorry...I fell asleep last night in my chair! lol I ended up giving him 1.5u at about 7:45. Last test was 221 at almost 10:00 and we passed an uneventful night! YAY!! Thanks so much for all your help!! I'd have been lost without all of you! :bighug:

18. manxcat419

No harm done - he's fine and falling asleep or sleeping through an alarm has happened to just about all of us I think. I'm glad to hear you had an uneventful night - those are the best! :) :bighug:

Petey'smom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.