Not sure of dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rhonda T, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

Oreo was at 326 this morning. I gave him one unit of Vetsulin and he was at 71 four hours later. It's supper time now and he's back at 326. Would you stick to the one unit? I don't like the numbers in the 300s but I don't want him under 70 either.

2. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vetsulin curves can be deep like this. Your nadir number of 71 is good but ideally you want the nadir BG range to be about 50% of the pre shot BGs. That would be around 150. You can try 1.0 u again to see if the result is similar. Can you get at least a +4 test tonight? Another option is to try eyeballing 0.75 u on your syringe to see if that slight decrease reduces the depth of the curve.

Rhonda T likes this.
  4. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

Thanks for the info on the target number for the nadir. I was wondering about the Vetsulin being a bit more erratic too. I might give it a couple more weeks and if he's still having the steep curves maybe switch to something else.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vetsulin often produces these dramatic drops. Give it some time to see if Oreo adjusts to it more.

BTW - I love that photo of him! So handsome! :)

Rhonda T likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.