? Not sure what's going on

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty & Teal'c, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

So I increased to 1.75 Christmas eve. Then Christmas day I accidentally gave 2 units. That evening he gave me my first number below 200. Excited does not explain how I felt.

Since then it's been nothing but 400 and 500. I posted in the Prozinc forum yesterday but have heard nothing. The vet in this case is really non existent no follows up mentioned nothing. I'm on my own. I'm crying as I write this because it is starting to look like I may fail at being a sugar kitties mom

I have gone back up to 2 units because I hate seeing him constantly high like this. Not sure if that was right or wrong.Any help in this would be awesome. I'm not ready to throw in the towel and surrender.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  2. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem at this time with a dose increase, your kitty is having a bounce. You have a bounce when your kitty is at a lower than usual number and his or her body says OH No, and to keep Kitty from getting too low it's body throws out glucose which makes high numbers, like you have been getting. My cat was staying so high I retreated, the idea is your kitty's body will get used to seeing the low numbers and quit bouncing on these numbers.

3. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

Don’t get disheartened, it can be tough to get kitty regulated and you’re doing your best which is all anyone can ask of you.. I don’t know much about Prozinc but looking at your spreadsheet it looks like it’s working ok but the effects wear off after about 8 hours. It might be worth thinking about a longer lasting insulin like Lantus.

Si am cat mom and Ann & Scatcats like this.
  4. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I thought it might be a bounce but when we went in to the second day in the same high numbers I started to worry. Thank you for responding.

5. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Have been thinking about that as well. I just want Teal'c better. Will talk to non existent vet and see if he will switch us then if not will seek a different vet. We live in small town Kansas with only 2 choices and my guess is they don't treat this very often.

6. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

A bounce can last for several days, I started Buddy on Prozinc because his vet at that time put him on it. Since I started FDMB I realized that more Lantus is used and Buddy was put on Lantus.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When a cat's system reacts to numbers that are lower than his/her body is used to, the liver and pancreas release a stored form of glucose along with counterregulatory hormones. That's what caused the numbers to spike upward. That blue caused Teal'c's liver and pancreas to panic hence the less than lovely numbers that followed. It can take roughly 3 days/6 cycles for a bounce too clear. As your kitty becomes more used to spending time in lower numbers, the bounces should clear more quickly.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  8. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Ok thank you will breathe and just continue forward watching closely for this to clear.

9. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

20191227_154545.jpg

This is a picture of him waiting for his test and treat.

10. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

What a handsome and good boy!!

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
  11. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

I agree...that's some handsome man! <3
    My guy sits and waits too....

Attached Files:

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.