Nov 17 Walter AMPS 481 now 63

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Zelda & Walter, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Zelda & Walter

Zelda & Walter Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Oh Walter . . .
    Just wondering if you really gave the larger dose this morning, instead of the new decreased dose of 2u from last night . . .

4. Zelda & Walter

Yes--I gave 2.25. I should have stayed at 2?

5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I think so. You have some really low numbers on the AT meter, which is what I used for months. Under 68 is the reduction point - so at that 55 last night, you did reduce to 2, and didn't need to increase back to 2.25 this morning. My thoughts anyway! Walter is absolutely adorable!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  6. Zelda & Walter

Not sure what I should do--he's ravenous (but that's usually the case). I just took his BG again and it's still at 63. Will give him more food.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

What carb content of food are you giving Walter? I would give 1 tsp of HC and test in 15-30 minutes. You don't want to feed too much in case Walter won't eat if he goes any lower.

8. Zelda & Walter

I'm giving him the FF Salmon in gravy.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  9. Crista & Ming

Awesome! Let's see where Walter is in 30 minutes? 15 if you are concerned.

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m responding from yesterday’s condo.

It doesn’t really help me to know what “time” you shot since I don’t know your regular shot time and we are likely on different time zones ;) So, what I need to get from you, please, is how many hours late you shot. I’m going to send you a private message....please check your inbox. That way, perhaps I can editing rights from you and fix the SS once I know how many hours late you shot last night. Thank you :):)

You don’t need to worry about consolidating from one day to another. Only moderators can merge posts which is what I did yesterday. Linking the previous day’s post is different and Sonia gave great instructions for that. Thank you @Sonia & Leo :bighug:

I added the link to yesterday’s condo to your first post above so it’s easily accessible by other members but perhaps tomorrow you can try and do it looking at Sonia’s instructions :):) And great job with the subject line today!!

Sonia & Leo and Crista & Ming like this.
  11. Crista & Ming

Have you gotten a test yet for Walter?

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is your thread (aka "condo") from yesterday. Remember, we link them.

If you recall, on a few occasions I had mentioned that you need to decide on a dosing strategy. At this point, regardless of whether you opt for TR or SLGS, Walter is dropping into low numbers. With a meter calibrated for pets which I'm assuming you're still using, the 38 on 11/14 is VERY low and requires a dose reduction. With TR, any number below a 68 on a pet meter requires a dose reduction. I'm not sure why Walter's dose hasn't been reduced. It would help enormously if you put the type of meter you're using in your signature.

I do suspect that part of the issue is you really don't have spot checks. With TR, you need to test more than with SLGS but with SLGS, you need to get a curve once a week. Today is a very good example of what can happen at mid-cycle. I strongly suspect you've been missing dose reductions based on Walter's numbers toward the middle of the cycle.

Once Walter is back in safer numbers, please take the time to read over the dosing methods sticky. It would be beneficial to you and Walter if you had guidelines to follow regarding dose. In addition, Lantus works best if you are giving the same amount of insulin at both the AM and PM shot times. Again, it would help if you put the dosing method in your signature.

Lantus dosing is based on the nadir -- the lowest number in the cycle. It looks like you are basing your dose on the pre-shot number. As you're seeing and have seen previously, this can get you into trouble with a depot-type of insulin like Lantus. Please reduce your dose to 1.75u this evening, providing it's safe to shoot. Walter's dose should have been reduced on 11/14 and the numbers yesterday and today indicate that a 2.0u and 2.25u dose is too much insulin. Once you lower the dose, give the same amount of insulin at AMPS and PMPS unless you have a question regarding whether it's safe to shoot. If you do, please do not feed Walter and post and ask for help.

13. Zelda & Walter

Yes--110.

14. Crista & Ming

That's wonderful! I would test again in an hour to make sure Walter is staying up. No food please.

Since Walter is in safe numbers again, I highly encourage you to read through Marje and Sienne's posts. Read carefully and read them over again. It's a lot of information to keep in for now but they've said really important things in order to keep Walter safe and to have his insulin work effectively.

15. Zelda & Walter

Thank you! Yes, am rereading their info. Difficult during the week to track the BG because I leave for work around 8am and rarely get back before 7pm but I'll try to be better at the weekend numbers since I'm usually home for a good part of the day. I can also try to get them during the night. Poor little guy--I worry that he's on a roller coaster with all this bouncing.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Absolutely you should have decreased the dose. He earned a reduction last night even if you had been doing TR but definitely for SLGS which is the dosing method you show in your signature.

Just a recap: shooting early acts like a dose increase. Normally shooting early when numbers are that high is not an issue but you also took his dose back up to a dose that dropped him really low. Even if you don’t know if that was a correct test or not (the 55), the dose should have been reduced. While it’s not common for a cat to jump that much in 75 minutes, it “can” happen. It’s always easier to take the dose back up then to be fighting numbers as you are today. I’d reduce the dose to 1.75u tonight as Sienne suggested and see how he does but be prepared that his depot is really full and it’s possible you’ll see lower numbers until that 2.25u depot is more depleted (which can take 4-6 cycles).