Nova Max gluco/ketone monitor?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpecklesandMe, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I've read the Glucometer Notes. We are currently using Freestyle Lite, but I am tempted to get the Nova Max Plus monitor because it does glucose and ketones: http://www.novacares.com/nova-max-plus/ We currently use the urine dipsticks for ketones. I just wanted to know if you have any advice/ideas about the Nova monitor. Not sure if it's worth getting a new one or just sticking with what we're doing?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A blood ketone meter is recommended if your cat was ever diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) or has had more than trace levels of ketones in the urine. Ketones form as a by-product of fat breakdown, so a slight trace may not be an issue, but more than that points to potentially developing DKA.
    The test strips for blood ketone testing are significantly more expensive than blood glucose testing. For regular glucose monitoring, I'd use something like the Relion Confirm or Confirm Micro (at WalMart, or the unbranded version, the Glucocard 01 at ADW).

SpecklesandMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.