Numbers all over the place

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caren & Apple, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Last night we did a couple of tests 9:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. 180's to 190's. This morning at 6:30 it was 412 and right now 1:00 p.m. it's 456. Worried it's going to keep climbing...

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Apple is bouncing from the blue numbers last night. His body is not used to being in lower numbers and he has bounced. The numbers will come down. Concentrate on the lovely blue numbers.
    Definition of bouncing:
    • Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and Welcome to FDMB.
    When you post each day, it's customary to include a link to your most recent post so that historical info is easy to find. Here is the link to your condo from yesterday. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-10-2019-apple-dose-advice-needed.221545/#post-2475406

What you are seeing is a bounce. Apple is used to being in higher BG range and his body now thinks that lower numbers are a problem so his defences kick in to bring his BG back to what it perceives to be his normal. .....

Oh I see Kel has given you a more complete description already. :)

It may take up to 6 cycles (each cycle is 12 hours) to clear the bounce and there is nothing you can do but ride it out. It's frustrating but quite normal. As time goes on and Apple gets more used to being in better numbers again, the bouncing will diminish.

ETA Your spreadsheet is displaying very strangely and difficult to read so please PM Marje and ask her to fix it for you as per her message yesterday. She will need some private info from you to do it.

4. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Thank you for replying with that information. I was terrified. My granddaughter and I are trying to figure out how to use the board and when she transferred the SS it did come out strange but we weren't sure if that was normal....Just learning the hard way. Yes contacted Marje with the pertinent info, I hope she can figure that mess out, if not I have the old standard one. Thank you again for the "bounce" explanation.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Thank you for explaining the bounce. Since we'd never tested at those hours we didn't know what to think and then this a.m.'s numbers were alarming to say the least. I don't know whether to keep testing every few hours because the numbers might be skewed? Thanks again!!!!!

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

I’m going to tag someone to help fix your spreadsheet. @Marje and Gracie.

Usually a test at +2 or +3 will give you an idea if the cycle will be active and require testing more often. Some find a +1 helpful but it wasn’t for me. If the +1-3 if lower than the preshot it might be active and you would test again in an hour or two. It’s a good idea to test at various times to get an idea when the nadir, lowest point in the cycle, will usually occur. Lots of cats drop lower at night. Max was notorious for that and we had a lot of pj parties. So always grab a before bed test whenever possible.

Caren & Apple likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Caren! So glad you posted today...and so sorry that I'm so late catching up! I have to work and some days are worse than others...

If tomorrow, when you post, you could please use the following format:

11/12 Apple AMPS ### - then copy and paste the url from this thread into that one as the first line - you can get fancy later on - but that way everyone will know it's a new post - we're all allowed one per day - it helps to keep everyone up to date as to what's going on with all the kitties here on this forum.

I hope you'll have a chance to look around at the other condos aka threads here on the forum to see what other people are experiencing. As a matter of fact there is another member who's asking similar questions to yours - those AM and PM numbers seem frighteningly high - but the focus is on the better looking mid-cycle numbers.

I know you're new at this...but you're doing great just being here! And testing Apple...Two excellent steps in the right direction. It'll come...and he'll be getting better in no time at all :) Looking forward to seeing your updated SS as soon as Marje gets the link updated.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Caren & Apple and Sonia & Leo like this.
  8. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Thank you for helping with the forum protocols and please bare with my limited knowledge of posting in this format.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It’s fixed. :):):):)

10. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Yahoo!

Marje and Gracie likes this.