Numbers for remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ShanFranklinsmom, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShanFranklinsmom

ShanFranklinsmom New Member

Hi. New here. Found this forum while looking for information on remission. My cat, Franklin, was diagnosed about 2 months ago. He has been on 2.5 units of Novolin N in the morning and 3 units in the evening. Our vet has been working with us to get him regulated and we have been doing curves every other weekend and adjusting doses. All of the sudden, he is in the low 100's to 150 every time I test. Vet has advised not to give insulin if he is less than 250. I have read that to be considered in remission, they have to have normal numbers for 14 days. What is the highest "normal" can be? We test using Everpaw pet meter.

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Normal numbers off of insulin would be up to 150 I believe.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

just looked this up recently, a knowledgable member here (i forget who) stated with pet meter, it is up to 150 with BG preferably under 12o throughout most of the day..

4. ShanFranklinsmom

ShanFranklinsmom New Member

So, if I am not supposed to give insulin if he is under 250, but he is over 150 - how do you handle that?

5. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want my cat over 150. Sometimes it happens, but is not preferable. 250 is pretty high. I think they say that number because they want to kitty to be safe, if you are not home testing. If you are home testing it is safe to shoot until 100, if you are comfortable with it and know how he reacts.

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, we usually say that if a cat can hold normal numbers without insulin for 14 days, that cat is officially in remission (OTJ, or "off the juice" in our lingo).

That said, I think that even with a pet meter, you'd want to see some regular sub-100 numbers along with low 100's in an OTJ trial. So it may be that you'll have to do a short period with a smaller dose (2.5-3U is on the larger side) in order to get there, but it's a really really good sign that Franklin's already where he is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.