? Numbers in Pink, not sure if he got full dose, should I do more insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack Member

Hey guys, I tested Merlin because he was looking a bit down and he had 318, in the pink numbers. His numbers had been stable in blue for a good while now and I am not sure how he got this high. The only thing I can think is that his night dose might not have been delivered fully because when I massaged the spot he has been injected the fur was a little wet. Should I give him another shot?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Absolutely NOT! You have no way of knowing how much may or may not have been injected. All you can do safely is wait it out till his next shot tomorrow AM. Fur shots happen to all of us and as frustrating as it might be, the only safe thing to do is mark your spreadsheet that you think it was a furshot and wait it out.

3. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

No, you don't want to chance over dosing unless you are positive he didn't get it. Too high is safer than too low. Hopefully, a more experienced member will comment.

4. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

5. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

@Angie & Millhouse and @MrWorfMen's Mom thanks. I was thinking it was better not to but then I remembered that. I really don't know how much he got or if he got any but I also don't want to give him too much. I'll keep an eye on him the rest of the night, and test him in the morning too. I was just a bit worried since he seemed so down.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

He may seem down if his BG goes up but better too high for 12 hours than too low for one minute! :)

7. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Hey guys, this morning he was at 221. But now I am a bit more concerned, he seems completely uninterested in his food and he seemed to sway a little bit and loose his balance. I don't think they are related but if they are and it would be fixed with just keeping an eye on him let me know. He just seems a bit lost and that worries me.

Edit: Guys my bad I forgot to add he has been on an anti-biotic and i am wondering if it's a side effect of that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Reason for edit: adding info
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Antibiotics can definitely cause some GI distress and loss of appetite but I wouldn't expect it to cause him to be off balance. Has he shown any signs of diabetic neuropathy (leg weakness) before? The other thing that comes to mind with an infection in the picture would be ketones. Does Merlin have any history of ketones/DKA? Are you checking for ketones? If not, I'd suggest you get some ketostix from your local pharmacy and test Merlin. Some folks can hold a spoon or ladle under kitty's bottom to catch a small sample. Others put plastic wrap in the litter box where kitty usually pees and try to catch a little sample in the wrap.

You could try warming his food, putting some plain tuna water on his food or get some plain meat baby food (sans onions &/or garlic) to see if you can get him more interested in some food.

9. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

He does, he has had it for a while and his back legs where actually getting stronger. What worried me was that he was looking a bit disoriented there for a moment, swayed a little and like dropped to his side on his bed. I haven't tested him for ketones, i can get that in the pharmacy hopefully tomorrow after work since I wont be able to get it today, but hopefully he just had maybe a dizzy spell? He seemed a bit more responsive as I was leaving and moving a bit more so again, I am hoping i am worried for nothing lol.

As for food I warm it and put tuna flakes on it and he usually goes straight for the flakes the least, as well as his treats but today he was not really feeling any of them. I did ask my roommate since she passes by the house during the day, to check in on him and the least see if he was just not hungry then but did eat later on.

These fur babies can get us so stressed. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

It's important with Vetsulin, to feed and wait at least 20 to 30 minutes before giving the insulin. Vetsulin can start action quickly so you want to be sure that kitty has food in their system for the insulin to work with. Did he eat anything this morning? Was he swaying before or after his shot? If after, how long after? I definitely think you should have your roommate check on him today and see if he will eat something.

11. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

He was Swaying before the shot. I managed to get him to eat some kibble precisely because I did not want to give him the Vetsulin or the medicine on an empty stomach. So I took his food, mixed some kibble in and he kind of sniffed at it and took some bites. Since after he looked less disoriented thats why i want to think it's just something to do with that. I'll update you once my roommate calls me after she looked in on him. If he ate later then I will feel a lot more relaxed.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  12. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

It's been said above but I'm gonna say it to.... No, never ever give more when you do a ” fur shot”. Like others said, you have no idea how much ( if any) went in.
    Fur shots are sooooo frustrating ! Been there done that and it will probably happen again to me :(

13. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Also, you can sprinkle parmesan cheese in/on his food. Are you feeding can food? If so, which ones?

14. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Hey everyone, updating since I got a call from my roommate. Merlin didn't eat much more just kind of grazed a little, but she did tell me he was walking around better and was just standing there and motioned to walk to her when she went into my room where he spends the day. She said he didn't sway so hopefully that was just a momentary thing. I'll test him again when I get home and then before bed and put it up on the SS. Thanks for the support guys!

@sherrib I am gonna try the cheese on his food tonight! I give him canned KD pate food at night and mix a little with KD kibble in the mornings. Today I left him dryer kibble becasue I was gonna leave it hoping he would eat more. But when I give him his nightly wet food i'll try that, thanks!

sherrib likes this.
  15. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.