Numbers very high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maggie, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggie

maggie New Member

I haven't had time to do the spreadship from google docs and haven't posted all the info like kind of needles, type of feeding etc. But today I'm a bit alarmed. Last week my vet told me to increase the insulin from 1 unit to 1.5 but Robby started vomitting not eating or drinking much. I tested him, his BG had dropped from 288 to 165 which was good but him being sick was not good. So I went back to giving him only 1 unit, he stopped vomitting and started eating (actually a lot!). I tested him again and his BG had skyrocked to 376. I increased the insulin again but only 1 1/4 as I was scared he would get sick again. I did this only for one day (yesterday), this morning I tested him & he was 347. Still very, very high I think. But he seems fine and happy and don't understand. I gave him 1 1/4 unit of Insulin (Lantus) this morning as well. I'm late for work but I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi Maggie - I'm going to cross post this on the Lantus board for more traffic. I don't have enough experience to say much other than it's concerning when our kitties are sick and while Robby's numbers are high, my Six was in the 500-600s when first diagnosed. Each cat is different (ECID), but I wanted to let you know that to help give you some breathing room.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

1st thread Jan 31:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4676&p=45960#p45960

Hi Maggie,

welcome back, if u could confirm some things, so we know what you're using etc.

What kind of syringes are u using? Terumo syringes still?
    You're still using The One Touch meter?
    what are u currently feeding?

What were the times you checked these BG numbers?
    Lantus, doses are not raised and lowered based on preshot numbers, you do need a certain amount of data to determine if Robbie needs more or less insulin.
    Those numbers you gave us, at what time (+ hour) in the 12/12 schedule were they taken at?
    Because of time zones, we use this format:

example: +12 AMPS (AM preshot test and shot)
    +1 one hour after shot
    +2 two hours after shot
    +3 3 hours after shot and so on....
    then you come back to +12 PMPS (PM preshot test and shot) and you start the count again, +1, +2 etc...

So it would really help if you could fill in that info.
    Lantus also likes consistency, so dose hopping without collecting key times BG test, will not make it work any faster, Lantus likes patience.
    IF you work during the day, many here do as well and cannot collect BG tests, but you can in the evenings and weekends or days off.
    Plus you can grab an extra test as you are heading out the door in the morning.

Ketones: if you drop the dose - you will want to test for ketones. You can pick up a box of Bayer brand ketostix at any pharmacy.

Removing dry food: if you change the diet by removing ALL DRY and feeding a low carb (under 10%) wet food diet, u may need to decrease the dose....you will want to do that transition slowly. This can lower BG levels.

If there is still dry food available to Robbie, this can cause higher numbers,
    Please read this link when you have time, Dr Lisa's website on Feline Nutrition and Transitioning from a dry food diet safely:

http://catinfo.org/

One last thing, if you could EDIT your subject line to include Lantus Help, others will see it right away.

4. maggie

maggie New Member

Thank you so much! I will post again tonite with all the info in the correct format. I can't remember right now the name of the syringes I use for his shot. I used the Terumo needles in the beginning to prick Robby's ear but now I use the needle that comes with the lancet device. I use them manually, because I find it easier and Robby is being a great sport now! I still use the One Touch Meter. I am feeding Robby mostly wet food, Hills I/D Prescription Diet for now because I had bought a whole case of it. I leave some dryfood out because the other cat is used to it and doesn't even come near the wet food. I'll have to think of a way to ease her way into it. I have to learn to be patient myself. It's just that I want so much for Robby to be OK. I already lost one cat in to diabetes in the past and I realize now I did not do the best for him.

Maggie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.