Oct2 AT, amps 275, shot 0.10, +11 166, pmps 181, shot 0.10, +5 169 (note: this is last AT test)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, the boy is eating right now, but 275 to start . . . hmmmm, nervous about shooting higher, but it's starting to look like he needs it?

My PLAN right now is to shoot 0.10, but for the veterans @Chris & China @bettyandhank (and any other vets I've not tagged! heehee) is it time for us to make a shift higher on that needle? Try for something like 0.15??

Thanks!
    Now momma needs her coffeeeeeeeeeeee
    *Edit, shot 0.10

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Darcy sorry you didn't get a reply in time. I think you were fine to shoot the .10. Remember Lantus dosing in based on the NADIR not the preshot #. Not sure if the 130 last night at +5 was his nadir or if he went lower. That 130 is actually high green in 'human' so not bad regardless. This is his 7th cycle on .10...he seems to be doing fairly well on it, and not sure we have seen what his actual low point is on this dose. Maybe today since you are off you will be able to get some mid cycle tests in around that +5, +6, +7 range and try to see when he might be peaking and how low he goes on it.
    And hopefully some others will chime in with opinions before his next dose.

I kept meaning to post in your meter thread, but both Contour and OneTouch are great meters. I've used them both. Our Onetouch was the 'mini' and I loved it. Very simple and easy to use. BUT it did take a 1.0 blood sample which is not the smallest. That did not really cause us any issues..but perhaps if I had used another kind that did I'd be more keen on that. I alos later got a Bayer Contour Next EZ. Almost liek the one you posted but there must have been some feature differences. I liked it too...just by then he was OTj and we were only testing sporadically.
    The OneTouch Verio came out later so i have not used that model.
    I would look at
    1) smallest sample requirement 2) cost of strips 3) easy to use

Some of the models have lots of fancy features that my be more geared toward human use. I don't care about USB or having lots of extra details and data on the meter, or reminders, etc...
    Form the ones you listed the Verio takes the smallest sample, but not familiar with it to know if it has lots of superfulous stuff or if strips are higher than the others. The OneTOuch Ultra2 is a great meter, but like I said we used the mini version of that one.

BTW, One TOuch will send you a free Verio and very likely any of their models. I got our free that way. But it takes some time to arrive. You could always order it for a backup, then get one of the others to use now..then decide which you want for your primary. If you ask (nicely) they sometimes can include a starter pack of strips (usually 10).

He's looking great!

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Darcy Kul

What's your weekend look like? Are you going to be home and able to test?

4. Darcy and Jonesy

Hi,

I just got Betty's message now, and although it was my day off, that doesn't mean "relaxing for Darcy"! LOL ;) I was out most of the day unfortunately. I've got to work Saturday 9-4. Would it be worthwhile doing a "mini curve"? By that I mean Saturday, +10, +11, then the pm shot, then could do tests in the evening. It is Saturday. Where else would I be?! LOL ;) (But seriously, I'll be home. Quite happily)

Sunday my "plan" was to get to one of the local shelters here to install/hang a whack of cat hammocks I'd sewn. I usually end up spending about 5-6 hours there, but I could come home every couple hours if you're suggesting I run a full daytime curve.

But . . . feeling pretty good about things!! He is currently shredding my right arm as I type, he wants to be FED. RIGHT. NOW!!! Ha!

5. bettyandhank

I don't think you need to do a full or (mini) curve really. What's MOST important is getting some of those mid-cycle/nadir tests. I am not clear when he actually peaks...you want to see how low the doses are taking him.

I would NOT change your plans, just try to get as many checks as close to that +5-7 range as possible and spot check here and there elsewhere when you can. Day or evening cycle doesn't matter, you just want to try to get some more nadir checks in.

i don't know what Chris's plan is...sounds like she may have some ideas on changing the dose???

PS: cool on the kitty hammocks!!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Was thinking that it might be good to go ahead and increase back to .25 but only when you can get some mid-cycle tests in case he drops too low...as well as not being obligated to leave him home alone....would hate to increase and then have you find yourself choosing between staying home to test and keeping your job

7. Darcy and Jonesy

Hi Chris and Betty, I'll be honest, I'm scared to bump him back up to the 0.25. Could I go slightly higher, like 0.20? Or even 0.15? After Sunday/Monday night, with him dropping so low . . . I'm rather chicken sh*t right now ;)

But . . . I DID manager to get a human meter! I had tested him at the pmps (just now updated the sheet and title) On the Contour Next, he came up at 8.2, how do I "translate" that? Still multiply by 18? The actual number entered into the spread sheet is still my AT number

8. Darcy and Jonesy

Betty, here is a photo of my current foster failure, Vinnie, when I first "nabbed" him from outside (he was a stray, lost an ear to frostbite) The hammocks are fantastic as for cats in the shelters, it allows them more space if in a cage/crate, and in general, the cats just love to lounge in them. This one shelter I try to help with had a parvo outbreak a couple months ago. Lost over 50 cats to it, was sooooo sad. But because everything had to be either sterilized or tossed, all the previous hammocks I'd made (and another volunteer) ended up just getting chucked out in the panic of trying to disinfect the shelter. I was ticked off, not that they threw them out, but because nobody told me they needed more! So I've put my costuming aside (that I also make) and have been focussing on these for the past few weeks. Does a heart good to see a happy shelter cat, as happy as they "can" be . . . 14.jpg

bettyandhank likes this.
  9. bettyandhank

Precious.... You're a mensch!

10. bettyandhank

OK, VERY VERY VERY Important. You need to make a bold dividing line of some sort on the SS and Note the change to HUMAN METER going forward. Maybe note in remarks also, and remind you switched here in your threads for a few days. Oh, and you also need to remove AT in your signature.
    So are the 166 & 181 with the Contour then?
    I just re-read your post....if he tested 8.2 on the new Contour then that is 147.6 US #s...you stll multiply by 18. But the world SS should be converting that automatically for you.
    What a great PMPS!!!

You poor thing you've been having to convert Canadian to US plus AT to human. Its going to feel confusing for a few days probably, but will make things so much easier for you in the long run.

And your color coding on SS will finally be in line with the real numbers. That was skewed before as they don't convert to AT on the SS.

If you are more comfortable giving a fat .10 (somewhere less than .25)...then try it! His numbers have really been pretty nice on this dose. But ultimately you'll want to push his curve down just a bit so he is spending as much time in normal healing numbers as possible. Green is good...the more he can hang out in 50-100 the better It's how he gets his pancreas rested and heads back toward OTJ. (antijinx)

11. Darcy and Jonesy

I don't know what a mensch is. But I think I like it!

12. Chris & China (GA)

It looks like you've never used the "world" half of your spreadsheet, so if you want to start using it (so you don't have to manually convert by multiplying by 18) you'd need to divide the numbers you have in your spreadsheet now by 18 and then enter the number you get into the World side (at least for the last 2 weeks) OR just keep converting to US numbers and continue on the same spreadsheet you've been using

I don't know how you'd actually be able to accurately measure a dose between .1 and .25 unless you're using calipers, but the general consensus around here is to stick to the .25 reductions/increases until you've really narrowed down your dose. Our kitties insulin requirements are always changing, so just because a certain dose did "this" last time, doesn't necessarily mean it'll do it again

13. bettyandhank

So Chris, since the last reduction was from .25 to .10 ( not a full .25, but the next dose down)..... I guess going back to .25 is only actually a .15 increase. She's 8 cycles in (right?) Think its time with his numbers in mid blues/ high greens?

14. Darcy and Jonesy

Didn't know there WAS a "world" half! My current spread sheet, at the top says "using meter calibrated for feline blood aka AlphaTrak" I tried to put a strike through on that, not very obvious. But I did put a huge banner stating I'd changed. Can't miss it.

I think tomorrow I'm going to take a close up shot of the needles I use. Because to me, I can see the 0.10 line, or 0.25 very easily. I'm almost afraid now to check . . . have I been giving him too much? Not enough??!! LOL I'm sure that's not the issue as we would have seen THAT storm happen ;)

Okay, off to bed for me. Will try to convert the spreadsheet tomorrow (or may just keep multiplying it . . . )

Thanks again!

15. Chris & China (GA)

I think it might be a good idea to just hold the .1 for another cycle or 2.....let's see what kind of numbers he's getting on the human meter and go from there

And @Darcy Kul ....HAHAHAHAHA on your pharmacy story on Facebook!!

bettyandhank likes this.
  16. bettyandhank

You shouldn't have .25 OR .10 lines on the syringes. They make syringes with 1/2U markings.....then anything less than that is eyeballing (or calipers). Yes, why don't you post a pic of your syringe and what you've been shooting.

So happy you/ Aunt Phyllis got the new meter. Will make things so much easier all around. Now for Mr. L to just keep putting out the good numbers!

A mensch is a 'do gooder' :)

17. Darcy and Jonesy

GAAAAHHHH! Once again, I shot without checking here! But honestly, I woke up at 6:15 when my alarm went off, then proceeded to sleep more until 7:30!!!! So it was a crazy morning. I did end up shooting 0.20. But he was fairly high this am at 279 on my human meter, so I'm not too freaked out about that slight increase. Will watch him carefully tonight, and I should be home by 4:30 to get a +9

18. bettyandhank

Don't worry about it. And if you can be so precise to the 1/10th then that is amazing anyway.
    Yes please post a pic of these syringes of yours. let's see what they look like.

As you can see there was waffling about whether to keep or increase him a tad anyway...since we really don't know without seeing some more nadir tests. Plus now we need see things reflected with the new meter...so it's all good information no matter what.

The best numbers for you to try and get for the next few days as possible are: +5,+6,+7....somewhere in those ranges as much as you can

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.