? October 17 AMPS 146 + 5 99 NS +PMPS 119 Do I Surf or Shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kylee and Her Mom Renee', Oct 17, 2018.

1. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

Kylee aka Gato is doing good. She eats and her BG is in good numbers. I think she is getting thinner. A little too thin for my taste. I will see if I can weight her. She is not really drinking water. Maybe the food has enough. Any ideas? I would love it if she is going into remission by eating the canned food 99% of the time.

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice numbers today, what I do with the canned is always add water and mash it up, they think it’s gravy ;)
    Also what put weight on Bella was like tiki cat, weruva cat food, primal freeze dried raw, high protein, he’s gained almost all his weight back
    Ur doing a great job
    I use ff classics though

3. Bellasmom

Is there a reason for the purina dm? It’s like 18%carbs from what I just read and the ff grilled about 13% and the dm is I’m sure expensive

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Have you read the yellow sticky notes about the insulin & how it works? The more you know the easier it will be to help your Kitty.
    I think you need dosing advice from someone with experience. ( I'm not here long enough to give advice on the dose)
    You need to test before every shot, amps & pmps You need more information on your SS (spreadsheet) more tests ,to see what her insulin is doing during the day and at night?
    If she's getting thinner, she's not doing OK. Maybe she needs more Low Carb food. Or more or less insulin. I really wish you'd ask for help from someone here with a lot of experience.

If you eliminate the dry food your Kylee might go into remission.

The spread sheet is very important for people to see & help you to help Kylee.

Best of Luck to you & Kylee :)

5. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

The vet told me to buy this for her. So I bought both can and dry from the vet, then bought a case online at Chewy.com. It was expensive. She likes it. As you know all this has been a lot to take in and I am learning about food etc. Yes, I do AMPS, PMPS and tests in between. Is my SS not showing this? Thank you.

Joanne&TinySole and Bellasmom like this.
  6. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you, I guess I am not making my posting clear. Do you not see my SS?

7. Bellasmom

Yes I see them and you are doing fine

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  8. JoyBee&Ravan

Sorry,your SS is set up a bit different I just now saw the tests for amps but the spaces for pmps are empty. You have tests in the space for +11 but nothing in pmps.

YES ! It is overwhelming ! I understand :) THe more you read the more you'll understand about what to feed & how the insulin works.
    Please believe me when I tell you The people here have MORE knowledge than most vets about Cats with Diabetes. They donate their time & experience to help other people going thru this.
    Have you clicked on other peoples' SS (spreadsheets)? You can see how often they test their cats & when. I don't see any tests during the night?

Kyee is getting low Readings on 1 unit of insulin. It's good you didn't give her more & skipped the shot. If you could stop the dry food her BG might come down on it's own. I just checked the Purina DM cat food & it's 18% carbs That's considered High carbs.
    A lot of us feed Low carb canned Fancy Feast 6%-10% carbs.
    What kind of infection did she have?The infection could have raised her glucose in the beginning & stress can raise it also (like from going to the vet )

I wish you the best of luck. Everyone here justs wants to help you do what's best :)

9. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you for you help. I appreciate you taking time and helping me.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  10. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

PMPS (if I shoot) was 119. Need help please.

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Her numbers are not bad although higher than you’d want (all greens is your target for remission). I havent read back in your history but I do agree that the dry food, DM canned and grilled FF will all be keeping her above target and messing with her blood sugar numbers. Many here feed only FF pates as they are lower carb which is ideal for cats. (And freeze dried chicken treats)

If you are looking for remission you would want to try switching to FF pates only (or another low carb wet). If you do this though, do it over a few days so as to avoid any digestive problems. You would have to test more to ensure she doesnt drop too low as a result - especially since her infection may have cleared so do it when you are home to test! Since you are new to this, and have skipped some shots and are seeing lows already I am wondering if you should drop the dose (maybe by quite a lot) to ensure she is safe. Hoping some more experienced members will chip in and advise if low dose is merited if you do this... @Sienne and Gabby (GA) or @Jill & Alex (GA).

Also start weighing her once a week. I am concerned about her weight loss but only way you will know is if you weigh her yourself - might be a few weeks before you see a trend.

@Rebecca.garfie fyi.

12. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Thank you Wendy. Yes, I think I will give her a low dose just to be safe. I have to be away from home for a few hours tomorrow and then again Friday. High is better than too low.
    She still weighs the same as when at vet. I just thought she looked smalller today.

13. JoyBee&Ravan

Unless someone comes on here & tells you different, it might be a good idea to skip the shot again. Kylee is getting low readings even when you skip.

It looks to me you are putting the pmps reading in the wrong spot +11 would be 11 hours after the pmps shot If you look at the top of the page those readings need to be below the PMPS.

You can put a question mark first then" Need dose advice asap" Someone will see the ? mark & respond.
    If you already shot you should be ready to test several times tonight in case Kylee drops again.

Keep watch over little Kylee. (if she does go into remission we'll all have a Party :D)

I'll check back later:):bighug:

14. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

I read your spreadsheet on you babies. I am so sorry. It breaks my heart when our family members leave us.

15. JoyBee&Ravan

Keep your SS updated so people can check on Kylee :)

16. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

I do it after each poke and shot. Thanks for the reminder.

17. JoyBee&Ravan

18. JoyBee&Ravan

I just tried to look at your SS & it won't open? It was working a few mins ago?
    You need to fix it pronto so if someone responds to help, they can see it. :)

Just tried it again & it opened. maybe a glitch in the computer?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  19. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Sorry I had it open. It has been a long day. 4am and I was not feeling well.

20. JoyBee&Ravan

Did you shoot tonight? I don't see anything in the pmps yet? (at the top you wrote she went hypo but you don't have any test #'s written in? ) 27 is REALLY LOW!
    You added the pmps test #'s Good Job ! :) Don't forget to remove the same readings from the +11

I know what you mean about a LONG day!! I was up last night every few hours testing Ravan He started to drop & I was giving him food so his bg wouldn't go too low.My Ravan is a BIG Bouncer.
    When he goes into green low #'s he then bounces up to really high #'s It's drives me crazy! I call it the "Roller coaster ride" Up & then down!
    You can click on his SS & see what I mean.

Hope you feel better ( we all go thru getting up during the night to test bg It's just a part of the journey with our Sugar kitties ) In the beginning I didn't think I could handle it (I'm 72 yrs old)
    But it didn't take long before it became routine. I'm always tired :arghh: Oh well ,the things we do for LOVE :cat:

21. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

No, I did not shoot. You don't think I should? I don't, she is alert and being her old self.

22. JoyBee&Ravan

I don't know enough to give dosing advice,but looking at her SS I agree I would not have given insulin.
    I would wait & see where her bg goes tonight. I know you don't feel well but it would be good if you could check her bg during the night just to see what it's doing.
    It's always good to get readings at different times so you know if she's going up or down. ( i'm wondering if the first bg was High because of an infection & the stress of being at the vet.)
    It wouldn't be the first time I heard a kitty didn't even have diabetes! You'll know soon enough if her bg stays low tomorrow? :D

I'm off to get some sleep. I'll be up again to check Ravan tonight.:) Have a good night