OK, teach me how to freeze canned cat food...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by doombuggy, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Now that cedric has no dry food to munch on throughout the day, he's become a bit of a beggar. Several of you have indicated that you freeze canned food and then put it out to thaw or put it in a automatic feeder.

so how do you freeze the food? Thoughts appreciated... confused_cat

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

A lot of people mix water with FF in a bowl and then fill an empty ice cube tray with the food and freeze it and then once it's frozen, they empty the frozen pucks into a large baggie and store them in the freezer that way.
    I have a bunch of Rubbermaid 1/2 cup containers that hold 1 can of FF each. I add a little water to them, mix it up, put the lids back on and freeze them.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I add water to the food, mix and dump into a baggie then freeze. I usually smoosh it all into a corner of the baggie and freeze. Once frozen, turn the baggie inside out to get the food out. It comes out very easily and the shape fits into the food dish.

If using a feeder, you may want to use Dyana's idea of putting it into ice cube trays - as it will be compact enough to fit into the feeder.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a silicone cupcake pan. One can of FF fits perfectly into each cup. I put the FF in, let it freeze, pop them out and then put them into baggies to refreeze. They fit great into my auotmatic feeder.

5. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

I use the silicon cup cake pan and mix 1/3 wet; 1/3 chopped/ground chicken; 1/3 water. Freeze then pop them in freezer bags to take out as needed. Two of my cats love their frozen pops frozen one waits for the thaw.

6. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

So how much water vs can food? I like the idea of containers and will check that out. we'll see how it goes with out a feeder for now. I have been trying to feed him 4 times a day, but that works better on the weekends..... :smile:

7. RuthV

RuthV Member

I mix a serving of wet food with a bit of water, then freeze in round, 1/2 C containers(those cheapie Ziplocks rounds). When I know I'll be away for his 2 pm 'lunch', I put one of these hockey pucks in his bowl just before leaving the house. I can't say when he eats it, but it's sure gone when I get home. I put up about 3 or 4 of these at a time.

8. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

If you have a Kentucky Fried Chicken nearby check them out to see if they serve their sides in plastic reusable containers, they have red lids. These work great for one can of FF & they are FREE! :D

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Amount of water depends on how wet your cats like their food

I go with one full can per can of food. Ok a bit much I know. Most peiople do 1/3 to 1/2 can. Of water to can of food.

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I actually don't mix water in with his lunch because it was too messy for me to deal with freezing (he gets it mixed in with dinner and breakfast when I'm home). I put the portion of food in small plastic baggies and and freeze them, and then pop them out into the feeder.

As long as Cedric doesn't sit and gnaw all day at the frozen food until he can eat it (like Bandit does), then you may not need an auto feeder. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.