OK to give Fred a Lasix for some wheezing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

HI
    Fred had heart failure in Jan, was lung aspirated to remove the fluid--and did GREAT. Then one week later was prescribed 4 heart drugs--including Lasix--. But on day 2 of the dose was like lifeless. I went to a 2nd cardiologist who agreed that for his age and diseases, let's be conservative. So he was kept ONLY on Plavix for last 6 months.

The past couple of days he seems to be wheezing--which I think may be a sign of fluid return. I've just spent $2000 in the past 6-7 weeks on vet visits for a variety of reasons, so reluctant to take him in immediately. He is purring, eating, etc. but def. something funny with the breathing, although I don't think he is in discomfort.

Someone from the heart board suggested that he might need aspirating again and/or Lasix. So I have leftover lasix and wondering if it's a good idea to just give him one and see if that helps...Technically, acc. to my vet and cardiologist no 1, Fred was supposed to be on Lasix for the past 8 months...my cardiologist no2 just overrided that call. So I don't think it would be unsafe or random prescribing for me to do it. It's just hard on the kidneys, that's why I wanted him off (he has CRF too).

Anyway ideas? Jess, you around? So devastated that Dr B left!!!!

thanks
    Martica

2. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

I wouldn't do it. Maybe Jess has a different answer. I'm sorry - but you need to get him to the vet again... Laura

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Lasix works well.....when needed.....but also need respect for what Lasix does......I agree with Laura......time to see the vet.

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I believe lasix does not spare potassium so you risk lowering the potassium level and causing other problems

5. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Thank you. Yes Lasix is not good for his kidney disease since he's already dehydrated...but when they put him on it initially they wanted to give priority to heart over kidney. I insisted he be taken off, and then the cardiologist no 2 okayed that. But in general that's what they do. I have given him 1/8 of a table (normal is 1/4 bID) earlier today. So far I can't really notice any major improvement. If he's not better tomorrow I will go to the vet. My fear is that they will keep him in overnight...he's 20 and if he is going to die I don't want him in that environment...anyway, we'll see. He's eating and purring, just the breathing is not good.

6. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

It just occurred to me....he's had a mouth issue but wouldn't let the vet lok at his mouth the last week...she told me to try giving hiim Burprenex to see if that helped (his tongue does something weird). I wonder if Buprenex is bad for breathing issues/heart...? I'm not sure when this started but it could have been just after that. I only gave it to him one time and I didn't even notice it making him drowsy, and it didn't appear to affect his tongue thing, so I never gave it again, but gave it about 5-6 days ago, his breathing has been like this for 3 days, but maybe slightly less the few days before, not sure....

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for dear Fred.

I give Waldo lasix for his heart and it scares me to death he will develop other issues. Good luck I hope this is resolved quickly. Poor baby.
    jeanne

8. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

UPDATE on Fred! Good news!

Just an update, I was putting off the vet thinking all they'd do is aspirate him (and my normal vet is gone so I don't want anyone else to do it) and my cardiologist moved! So I figured they'd give him Lasix and I still ahve some. So, yesterday I gave him a conservative 1/8 Lasix BID ...didn't seem to do much... this morning he was still wheezing--but I then gave him a 1/4 tab today, the normal dose, and his breathing problems seems to have totally gone away. His breathing rate went from 24/26minute, down to 17ish/min and currently he's resting comfortably. So hopefully all good for now and the fluid won't return. But good to know taht the Lasix is that quick acting. I don't want to keep him on it for the kidney issues, but hopefully a one-2 day's dose didn't do too much harm.

phew for now.
    thanks for all comments!
    Martica

9. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Glad he is feeling better. well done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.