Old vs new wisdom about Cerenia?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angel's mommie, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Hi Everyone! My previous vet had said one should not give cerenia more than 5 days in a row ('cos it depletes Vit K or some such). However, my present vet says that more recent findings have proved that this is not true, and it's fine to give 1/4 to even 1/2 tablet (4 mg to even 8 mg; preferably 4 mg) cerenia long term -- she says to give 5 days a week, and then not for two, in case I'm concerned.

Angel weighs 8.8 lb at this point (up from 5.8 lb 18 months ago!) and does really well on cerenia. He goes off food and gets diarrhea if I don't give cerenia for 2 days/reduce his alternate-day-prednisolone to 1/4 tablet :(.

What do folks here think? Also, anyone know if it would be okay to do, say, 5 days a week, but not necessarily consecutive days but as needed?

Thank you.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The new dosing dies not require any breaks in administration.

3. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Does not, right, @tiffmaxee? Just checking as I want to be 100% sure :)! Thanks :bighug:. So I can give him 4 mg cerenia every single day.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes. If it’s needed there’s no reason to take the two day break they have learned.

5. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Phew <wipes brow> that's a relief. Angel does so much better on it. Thank you much, tiffmaxee!

6. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

Hi to you and Angel...I am new to this forum seeking answers as to whether or not diabetes causes nausea...why does your kitty need anti nausea medication?and will she stop eating without it? My kitty Bubbles was diagnosed with diabetes just over a week ago...she seems nauseated and has all but stopped eating...shes at the vets now...

Angel's mommie likes this.
  7. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Hi Allison! I'm so sorry your kitty has all but stopped eating. When Angel stops eating it is possibly not so much because of his diabetes but more because of his IBD (Intestinal Bowel Disease). I'm not sure if -- when he stops eating -- it is because of nausea or something else, such as cramps etc. caused by the IBD. His diabetes is now well-controlled, largely because of tips from this group -- vets are of course very important, but don't always have the time for the kind of support and resources this amazing group has provided over the years. For example, mine absolutely discouraged home testing, but I took courage 'cos of the posts here and am so very glad I began doing it! Angel's diabetes is now the least of his issues (as long as I test twice daily at least and give insulin twice a day, of course). Fingers crossed!

Just in case this is helpful, here are some notes I'd sent to a friend whose cat was not eating because it was sick. I've found these tips very useful in feeding Angel when he's off food:
    — Warming the food (just warm, which will be below the temp humans like their food) makes the food smell good and works wonders
    — Taking a bit of the (warm) food on your finger and rubbing it on or around their mouths works magic -- sometimes you have to repeat it once or twice. They then lick it off and their appetites get stimulated when they see how yummy it is.
    — Putting the warm food on your fingers for them to lick off can work wonders. When he was sick Angel once ate a whole Gerber's baby food jar this way!
    — Offering food plate a few times needed sometimes.
    -- Some people have suggested the following as they've had success with giving:
    Boiled chicken thighs with a little salt. (I'm a vegetarian, but what to do, lol)
    Raw chicken thighs or boiled Chicken liver
    Tuna
    Angel loves fried chicken (like KFC) or hot-dog sausages sometimes
    Gerber’s baby food chicken or turkey (with gravy) (little glass jars)
    ALL of the above should be served just slightly warmed (well below the temperatures humans like to eat). It makes a HUGE difference in the aromas given off and tempting them

Hope this is helpful :). Sending your kitty and you best wishes :cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I give Phoebe cerenia daily as if i go without it a day she pukes. :( Its a miracle drug.

Angel's mommie likes this.
  9. Angel's mommie

Angel's mommie Member

Agreed. Don't know what Angel and I would do without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.