Oliver

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anna495, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna495

Anna495 New Member

Hi, I'm new on here, my 9 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes in October, was stared on caninsulin but no improvement. He was switched to glargine about 5 weeks ago, 2 units twice a day with some improvement, he's now on 2.5units twice a day. He's stopped loosing weight but still urinating just as much and drinking loads, but the frustrating thing is he keeps weeing outside his litter tray and pooing! It's not every time but at least once a day! It's cleaned once a day so it's not that. After reading some of the posts I think I need to start home testing! He eats hills Md wet and dry. X

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Home testing is the best way to keep your cat safe. And then you won't have to do blood glucose curves at the vet where the cat is stressed anyway (which raises BG), but can do them at home where your cat is comfortable.

Does he get into the litter box, but go out the door? I had to put pee pads around the litter box. Is the peeing and pooing outside the box, something new? If so, I would take him in to the vet to rule out any medical problems.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Anna and Oliver,
    Welcome to FDMB :bighug:

Re the inappropriate peeing and pooing I agree with Dyana that it might be good to get a vet check-up, to try to establish whether there's any underlying health issues.

Does he only poop outside of the litter tray? Just wonder if he's avoiding it for some reason. Has he had any constipation (and maybe had some pain/discomfort that he associates with his litter tray)? Has the tray been moved recently? Could he have been frightened while using it?
    Any trouble with his back legs? Can he get into the tray OK?

And regarding peeing, diabetic cats sometimes just can't make it to the litter tray in time. And there may be a UTI (urinary tract infection) that's exacerbating things.

It sounds like you're willing to give hometesting a try. Good for you!:)
    Most of us use glucose meters made for humans (they're way cheaper to use than an animal-specific meter).
    Here's a link to a page of pics and basic info on hometesting so you can get some idea of what's involved:
    http://www.sugarpet.net/bloodtst.html

Hometesting should not hurt the kitty at all (there's very few nerve endings in the outer edge of the ear). And it's not hard to learn, but, like anything new, it may well take you a few goes to get the hang of it. We are here to help in any way we can.

Best wishes,

Eliz

4. Anna495

Anna495 New Member

Hi, sometimes he uses the litter tray other times he doesn't, can't see any reason why! He only started when he was starting with diabetes, I picked up on it really quick coz I'm a nurse but it's taking ages to get him stabilised coz he was totally insulin resistant to caninsulin. It's intermittent, he goes a few days using tray fine then goes back to going on the floor next to the tray. It's never moved, use the same litter brand.
    I'm ringing the vets tomorrow so I'll ask to have him checked over again. He was admitted for 2 nights a few weeks ago when they discovered the resistance and his kidneys and liver are doing ok. Maybe UTI like you suggest.
    Very frustrating!
    Anna x

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Bladder infection, stones, and diabetic neuropathy may be some possibilities to consider for causing the inappropriate elimination.

If neuropathy is possible (any difficulty standing or walking?), in addition to getting some glucose regulation, methylcobalamin, a specific form of Vitamin B-12, may be helpful. You want one with no sugar or other sweeteners in it. It is water soluble, so any excess goes out through the kidneys.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We too started with Caninsulin and after a couple months of it not working switched to glargine (Lantus). Home testing is best, and way cheaper. There are a several conditions that can cause insulin resistance, my Neko has two of them. Home testing and tracking the data helps detect some kinds of resistance.

As for the litter trays, have you thought of putting in two? The pee pads are also a good idea. My Neko has arthritis, and sometimes she overshoots. :oops: An alternative is using a high sided storage box with a door cut into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.