On insulin again after 2 years OTJ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Monkey Maine Coon, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Good morning everyone. Yesterday we took Monkey to a vet we've never seen, since we are traveling out of town with Monkey in our motor home. He was urinating much less than normal, and the night before peed on our bed. He was diagnosed with suger in his urine, 400 bg. He was sent home an antibiotic for an inflamed urethra, and we were instructed to start him on 2 units 2x daily of insulin. We did an ear test this morning and found his BG was 290, so he got 2 units at 7am. Here we go again.

2. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Oh no!!! Hopefully Monkey will go back into remission. He sure is a handsome guy!:cat:

3. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you have rejoined the sugar dance... We also had to come back after a short remission. For us, the second time around has been so much less overwhelming because I knew what the problem was and I knew what to do and where to get the help and support I need. So welcome back. :):cat:

4. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Thanks for the welcome - not happy to be back but love you all for your support. Today we had our first crisis since he became diabetic. He was alert and ate normally this morning - but after his insulin 2 units, he retreated to a corner and hid. When he was still hiding at 12:56, we pulled him out and tested again. His BG was 25!! Oh no, we tested again immediately, it was 23. Started rubbing honey in his mouth and tried to call the vet that saw him yesterday, but she's closed. We continued with the oney and retested at 1:24pm and he was up to 35. We kept up with the honey and at 1:33 he ws at 44; then at 1:42 he was at 48, and by 2:05 he was at 75. We had called our vet at home and she said unless we got him up to at least 75 we should drive 40 miles to the 24 hour emergency vet. We stopped with the honey at that point, and tested again at 2:20 and he was 94, and by 2:35 he is at 138. We are going to keep testing and keep him home today. Our home vet said to skip the insulin tonight, and re-evaulate after tomorrow morning before giving more insulin - and to only give 1 unit if at all.

Retest at 3:30 - back down again to 52 BG. The vet said the honey is short-lived and will wear off and he needs to eat - but so far he won't. Now we are thinking perhaps we had better make the trip to the Emergency Vet after all.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Could be the inflammation or infection that caused the glucose to spike. Honey, syrup will last a short time. If you can pick up some fancy feast gravy lover cat food. It's higher carb. You will need to keep testing. Lantus will be in his system for awhile. He needs to remain over 70 without influence of food, honey or syrup.

When did you test last?

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have any "Gravy Lovers" Fancy Feast? (Or some kind of high carb food?) If you do, pop the top, put it back and "squeeze" the gravy into another bowl and give him a couple of teaspoons of the gravy.

It doesn't do any good to test every couple of minutes....it's going to take at least 10-15 minutes for simple sugars like honey, karo, syrup to get into the bloodstream and raise the blood glucose and 20-30 minutes for food

Honey is good for bringing them back up quickly, but it wears off quickly too...the high carb food may hold him up a little longer

7. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Thanks for the replies. We tested every 15 to 30 minutes, and after getting him up to 158 and then seeing a steady drop, we decided to take him to the Emergency Clinic. The doctor there agrees that this might only be a reaction to the urinary infection, and not a return to diabetes. He'll be in good hands unil he is stabalized, which means 24 hour on-duty doctors and hospital care. If all goes well and he stabilizes, he may get to come home tomorrow. He isn't on Lantus, it's Humalin NPH, which we were told today can take 14 to 16 hours to clear from his system, so we'll see where he is after that. We are away from home and away from our normal vet, and kind of out aways from town, so we didn't dare leave him to shop for the Fancy Feast "Gravy Lovers", or something high carb and similar - but we will buy a few cans just to keep on hand for any future issues.

I started a new SS spreasheet for him, with a new name, and now I can't remember how to shorten it to a link in order to add it to his profile. Now that things are calmer, I'll see if I can figure it out. I did it two years ago, but hey, I was younger and smarter then. LOL

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Type in what you want the link to be "named"....Like "Monkey's spreadsheet"....then "highlight" those words like you were going to copy them...Go to the icon along the top that looks like a single chain link and click there.....a new box will pop up for you to paste the ACTUAL link.....Hit "insert" and it's done!

We're only allowed 3 lines in our Signatures, so you might have to put the link in one of the other lines or move the information you have and condense it so you have a "free" line for the spreadsheet link

Glad to hear he's safe and getting the best care possible! Yes, infection can cause the blood glucose to rise so hopefully once that's better, he'll come back down!

9. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Thank you Chris & China - it worked! We're missing him already but hopeful he can come home tomorrow without the diabetes diagnosis!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. Monkey Maine Coon

Monkey Maine Coon Member

Brought him home this afternoon BG stablilized and vet's opinion is the elevated BG is due to stress and the urinary tract inflamation. No more insulin until we return home on July 2 and have him rechecked by our home vet. He is acting completely normal, eating, using his scratching post, asking for his Young Again Zero Carb treats, and happy. His BG at 9:45 is 279. The vet says a BG of 400 with the stress of a vet visit and a urinary tract inflamation is not unusual, nor is it necessary an indication that he is out of remission. So we're keeping our hopes up that the antibiotic Zeniquin 25mg 1/day will clear up the problem.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Hope that is the case!!

I agree the 400 at the vet added to a UTI isn't anything to be worried about, but I'd sure like to see him lower than 279 at home.....Let's hope the AB does the trick and Monkey can return to the falls soon!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.