Opinions/Advice on dosing.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Member

Kazi is doing very well here lately- in the blue 99% of the time before shots. Really when she has gone above 200 its been because she coughed up a hairball or a day where she was pretty low and I had to leave so I fed her 3oz of food.

I dropped her dose down and we are still dropping to the mid 60s and 70s when the Vetsulin peaks. Have not shot at anything lower than 160. I also had a day last week where she was 146 at +12 and 134 at +24...no insulin. I am at the point now where more often than not it seems that I only get a number I feel safe shooting at 1x per day. For example yesterday AMPS were 122 so no shot, PMPS were 176 so she got her normal dose. I am not sure how accurate my 'dosing' is- but I've been calling what she is on .10, there is just a bit of insulin visible in the syringe.

So what would you do? Continue with what I am doing or try dropping her dose to get 2x a day? Opinions greatly appreciated!

2. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that the PMPS yellows you saw on 4/24 and 4/25 may have been rebound from going low during the day. That 66 at +3 on 4/24 probably got a lot lower before it went back up. Hence the higher PS number. And the next day, you don't have any AM cycle spot checks, so she may have gone low then too.

So what does that mean? You may not need insulin for much longer the way this is going! Considering you' only gave 0.1 units and you still got down to 68 last night, you're going to have to be very diligent with testing if you give insulin!

And if you get a low number that early in the cycle, check again in an hour or two to make sure she's not dropping too low. You have a lot of +3s but not many later in the cycle, so aim for some of those +5 or +6 checks too.

Someone with more experience may have something different to chime in, but I think Kazi is doing exactly what we'd hoped she'd do!

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Lots of cats go to SID dosing before going off of insulin altogether...experimenting is the only way you'll know for sure if it is right for you guys :D

4. Amanda

Amanda Member

We have lots of plus 3 because that is where the vetsulin is peaking with her (or has been anyway) and with those mid 60 numbers I get nervous! I wondered if those higher numbers could be rebound too-- wasn't sure if maybe she was dropping later than normal. So last night I tested again at +3.75 (3 hours 45 minutes) and she had already begun to rise just a hair from her +3 check. I am off work tomorrow so should be able to do some spot checks during the day so maybe that will help kind of figure out what she's doing. I can usually manage a +7 so I'll try and throw in some spot checks there as well.

Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.