? Oreo Joe BG is all over the place please help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bonnie & Oreo Joe, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Oreo Joe has had higher BG and I was going to ask about upping the dose. 12 hours 20 min after his evening shot he was avoiding me, food and even water. I waited the 20 minutes for him to come to his food and went and found him in the coolest room in the house sprawled out on the cool floor. He does that normally. Did his BG and he was 39.6. I rubbed syrup on his gums and tongue and then he ate his beloved carbs treats that I have not given him for several days. I set the timer to check his BS in 45 minutes. Not sure how long to wait. Decided to do it sooner but he crawled under the bed. I know I did the right thing, not sure I gave as much syrup as I should have. I have a tiny medicine syringe with the syrup in now and if he is still low when I catch him I will give it. The spread sheet is up to date.
    Thank you!

2. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

He hid for awhile but 1 hour after low BG he is 4.9. Refusing food, ate 3 carb treats. I will remove 911 when I make a new post? Don't see that I can on this one.

3. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

He went to 4.8 and then 6 hours after AMPS 8.6. He just ate some food which is the first since the middle of the night.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here are a few things to clear up,Bonnie:
    • you entered a few BG readings on the US spreadsheet in world numbers so the colour coding is wrong. Multiply those world numbers by 18 and re-enter them so they have the right colours.
    • you're not showing a dose for this AM. Did you skip insulin?
    • in your first post above you sad you checked his BG and it was really high (39.6) yet you put syrup in his gums. May I ask why? Did you really mean that his BG was 3.9? Please clarify.
    • if his AM BG was actually a very low 3.9 it doesn't really make sense relative to the yellow numbers he's had recently. It's always a good idea to recheck a reading that seems out of place by testing again immediately.
    • could you have accidentally measured out a bigger dose than 3 u last night and that caused the big drop this AM? I know you've had some difficulty seeing the marks on the syringe.

5. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

The numbers I put in were from a metric to US blood glucose. in the metric he was 2.2 this morning. I am positive the insulin was correct as I checked it 2 times and my hubby one time. I was really blurry yesterday in my sight.
    in mmol/l 2.2 when changed to mg/dl is 39.6 - Since my illness I can't do math at all and use converters etc. So the numbers are correct. He was really low. I don't know what you mean world numbers - the ones that turned green? That is what the converter showed.
    2.2 4.9 4.6 8.6 at 6 hours. These are the metric. I wanted to make the metric spread sheet available but I put in www.felinediabetes.com and it said that was not an address. I don't remember what to put in.
    Since normal in the metric for Oreo would be 4.6 to 7 and when he was 2.2 I rubbed syrup on his gums. I understand that a no shoot level is 150 to 200 mg/l so 39.6 is certainly something I needed to bring up. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

I said that he has been having higher BG and I had planned on asking about increasing his insulin dose but this morning he wasn't acting right, hadn't come for food so when I checked him he was 39.6. I should have checked a 2nd time but after syrup and carb high treats in one hour he was 4.9. Last time he had a handful of treats he was 394 so I think I was correct. in the spot for insulin given I put 0.00 - no he did not get insulin.
    I don't know what went on with him to go so low and stay low. Even now after a few more carb treats and him finally eating he is 154.

I will try and change what you want changed but I don't know what to change.
    I am sorry I didn't explain things clearly. That is how much of my thought process seems to work.
    Thanks for checking back. Hugs, Bonnie

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Bonnie-

If you input the numbers on this tab: (click on the picture to make it bigger)
    upload_2018-6-3_7-1-24.png
    they should automatically show up on the US tab with the conversion already done for you. Then you won't need to worry about the math or the color coding. When you go to the "world mmol/L" tab, you'll need to start on line 37 so you don't mess up the data you've already entered on the US tab.

That does seem quite surprising that Oreo Joe would have such a long run of low numbers. It makes me wonder what's been going on during the PM cycle. Is there anytime during that evening cycle (either before bed or when you first wake up) that you might be able to collect some data?

Bonnie & Oreo Joe likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My apologies - I was confused when I looked at your spreadsheet and misunderstood your numbers.

8. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

The numbers don't change but I can just as easily put them in 2 places. My vet has one. I put all the numbers in and they are up to date.
    Looking at how he jumps around is strange. I go to bed between 10:30 pm and 12:30 AM so IF I can find him I can get 1 or 2 more checks. He goes out to the enclosed porch since the house is a steady 85 F now the porch isn't insulated and in the evening gets very cold. Our temps can drop a lot at night so he goes out there and has more places to lay that you can imagine and we don't have a light for the porch. Most places he lays are where I can't get him. He stays out there until morning. I will do my best. If he is in a chair I can get him. Thank you!

Djamila likes this.
  9. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

No problem I can understand anyone getting confused as part of the time I write in things and think I am making sense. Thanks.

10. Djamila

I'm sorry the spreadsheet seems to be malfunctioning for you :(. No need to put them in both places. If it isn't working you can just keep doing it the way you have been. I just thought it would be easier if you could just input the world numbers. Alas, it's only easier if the spreadsheet works o_O:confused:

ETA: I just noticed that you've already entered in the world data. You can do either way - whichever is easiest for you. Most of us are able to work in both versions at this point, so you're welcome to just "talk" in world numbers if you'd like.

11. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

As long as my trusty little converter works it is easy enough to put numbers in 3 places. I tested him at his regular time of 8 PM and then stayed up until 11 PM and tested. The numbers are entered with the insulin starting to work then for 7 AM i went to the very end of the line for yesterday and put in 333 and then started the new line for today. That 333 wouldn't be seen unless you scroll. In 1 hour he went up to 388.
    Can I consider ½ U more? I know he jumps around alot but almost all of the numbers are well within the shoot range. If so tell me what line to go to. I am at 7 now.
    Thank you!

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So, yesterday he was at 39 preshot? Sorry, my brain isn't super awake this morning. I wouldn't up the dose just yet. Give it a day or so to settle down after that super low number. I think you're likely seeing a bit of bouncing or the syrup caused him to go a bit higher today...that's natural. I wouldn't be comfortable suggesting an increase the day after you get a lime green for a preshot...want to make sure it wasn't a fluke first.

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  13. Djamila

Yup, I agree with Rachel, the carbs from yesterday and the low AMPS mean no increase for a few days. Hang in there.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hi! Can someone check his spread sheet and tell me what to do. I can't have him go from no shot BG in the morning to 395 in the afternoon. He can't be comfortable. Plus he is very compliant and while I love it, that is not Oreo Joe, unless this journey we are on has mellowed him. He is purring before I pick him up! He took his hypo med in a piece of raw chicken and didn't spit it out! Hope that part stays but not this bouncing BG.
    Thanks for any help. Hugs, Bonnie

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...he is getting some low numbers in the AM lately. I was wondering if the 154 was just a fluke, but doesn't look like it with that 111 this morning! Why not try reducing the PM does to 2.5? It might help to make his nighttime curve gentler so that you can shoot in the mornings.

16. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Thank you so much. Can I ask what mark or line do I go to. I know it will be in the middle of 2 lines. I can see the lines if I know what I am looking for. I am drawing up to 7 for the 3 U. I have 50% sight and some days everything blurs. Those days I have Roger check that I draw it up. Sorry to be a pain but my mind loses focus so easily. I will start tomorrow pm I just did his pmps and he was 277.2. Thank you for the advice. Hugs, Bonnie :bighug:

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You're not a pain, Bonnie! You're using u100 needles, right? With u100 needles, you will want to do 2.6 (those needles do 0.2 increments), which will mean drawing up to 6.5. Make sense?

Just a reminder that the Conversion Chart is here. It's fine to keep asking us or even just checking in with us if you want to be sure, but I wanted you to have that too just in case we're not here when you have a question. :)

Djamila likes this.
  18. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

I didn't know the chart was there. As I said CFS has made my mind look at something and then it is off on something else. So frustrating, I find myself starting on one subject like a devotion and suddenly as I am reading it suddenly it seems strange that something is in it and my mind is reading something not there. Can be part of an audio book or movie or just something from nowhere. I have bookmarked the conversion table and that will certainly help.
    Thank you so so much. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.