? OT: Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rachel, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have a quick question about my civvie Tigress. She's been on antibiotics since last week for a UTI (sigh...yes another one). She's got roughly 1 dose left. Well 2 nights ago in the evening she threw up about 20 min after she got it (though it may have been due to dinner being late...she was upset about that lol). Yesterday she threw up almost immediately after I gave it to her in the AM but didn't in the PM. This morning she threw up about an hour after I gave it to her and she hadn't eaten anything....nor would she before I left (which admittedly was right after that). Yesterday it looked like just an excess of drool that she threw up...she drools a lot on the meds and could just be that she had to get some of that out.

I called the vet who said they could prescribe her orbax instead of clavamox to see if that would help her tummy...but my theory is to give her the last dose tonight and then just wait and see how she is. I don't want to start over on a whole new antibiotic when she has literally 1 dose left of this and she seems okay otherwise. I wanted to get your thoughts on this...should I give her another AB? I can, but I don't want to create any problems with her becoming resistant or give her meds she doesn't really need. I don't think the vet quite understood the she has 1 dose left thing (pretty sure the vet tech didn't get that bit of info).

Your thoughts? @Kris & Teasel your chemistry knowledge would be much appreciated, as would knowledge from anyone! :)

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hope Tigress feels better soon! (I don't know enough about antibiotics to comment on the rest of that.)

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I really don't know about antibiotic half life, absorption rate, etc. Rachel. If it was one of mine I'd just stop the AB to see how she does and if there's a resurgence, I'd ask the vet for a different one. Many of them are upsetting to their GI tract. Teasel's had Clavaseptin (same I think) a few times but tolerated it. I could tell he felt a little yucky but he kept it down.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    StephG likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Not finding anything cat specific when switching antibiotics.

But I forgot my opinion :rolleyes:, I am with Kris and I would probably wait to try another antibiotic, see how she feels :cat:

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I think the last few days she was mostly upset because I had to just force feed it to her...she stopped taking it in tuna. Then today it could have just been that it's starting to upset the tummy...Since there's just one dose left, I think we'll just wait and see how she does. She's supposed to go back for a recheck in a few weeks anyway to make sure it's all good. I just wanted some reassurance lol.

7. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I lost a dose one day out of Chuck's 16 days of Baytril. The vet said not to worry about the last day.
    I did find the pill and didn't miss the last day but figured it might help in your situation. I agree with Kris too.

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Happy to report that my baby is back to her normal self...eating dinner happily and snuggling on the couch while cleaning herself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.