? OT- buprenorphine dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

My Civvie, Anabelle just came home from a dental. They gave me buprenorphine for pain. Since I trust no one to do their jobs right (too many bad experiences, sorry), I wanted to assure the dosage was right.
    Does anyone know the normal dosage for bupe? I googled it but found different answers. I know many people here have used it.
    Also, the prefilled syringes read .6mg/ml. She is to have have 1/16 ml. per dose. Any mathematical minds out there figure what dosage that is? How many mg that is?
    Also, any hints on administering it to her gums as prescribed? Just aim for the cheek? I cant see being able to apply it to gums.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's 0.6 mg ÷ 16 = 0.0375 mg of bupe per dose.

3. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Does that seem like the correct amount? She is a 10 lb. kitty.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I’m not up on veterinary bupe dosing guidelines. You could Google it. You could try giving less than the full dose to see how she reacts.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Buprenorphine is dosed based on weight of cat, and there is a range of dose. Most buprenorphine I've seen is 0.3 mg/ml, so you've got a double concentrated version. So I would double the number Kris gave you when comparing with others. 0.7 ish is not an overly large dose. I discovered the different ranges when a weekend vet I don't normally go to gave me some that was 0.5 mg/ml. I didn't think to look at that until after my kitty was acting like a drunken sailor.

Aim for the inner cheek and it'll run down to the gums or under the tongue, which is another good spot to aim for.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

1/16 ml (0.06 ml) of 0.6 mg/ml is fine, the dose of that concentration can be from 0.05 to 0.15 ml.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.