OT Wal-Mart is discontinuing Relion Confirm and Micro meters/strips NEW INFO

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Oct 20, 2018.

1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

After much leg pulling, I got the manager of my local WalMart to look into it and she said that they are discontinuing selling the Relion Confirm and Micro meters and strips.

She said they do that occasionally when there's a "newer model" but she doesn't know if they'll be replacing it with something similar yet.

I told her they recently started caring the new "Premier Blue", but that meter takes twice as much blood to work :(..so it's no better than the Prime in that regard.

She said there's two slots open for something "new" to come in and they should know what it's going to be by Friday.

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

NEW INFO--The ARKRAY GLUCOCARDO1 SENSOR (which is the exact same meter as the Confirm) is NOT being discontinued (at this time). The Relion/Micro ARE......so if you own a Confirm/Micro, you can still get strips from ADW but you'll have to remember to order then in advance so you don't run out at the worst possible time!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That really is sad. Nothing is easy. Just read about Rad Cat. I know you feed it to China. Sad.

3. Kylee and Her Mom Renee'

Kylee and Her Mom Renee' Member

Yesterday I looked for the strips. They usually have them out in the pharmacy Isle. I did not see any so asked the pharmacist and he went in the back of the pharma a brought me 100 strips. I now have 120+ that should last me a little while. If I had the money I would have bought more. But they are $25 and I just paid almost that for 60 strips. Life gives us change and we either go with the flow or sink.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If anyone has the Nova Max their glucose strips are $25.49 for 100 ct on ADW. Same size blood drop. Only thing I don't like is the big meter. I liked the micro. That's I will be using when my strips run out.

The Arkray Glucose Card 01 Sensor strips fit the micro and confirm and cost $36.10 for 100 ct. ADW.

The Arkray Expressions strips are $26.99 for 100 ct same size blood drop. Don't know if they fit the micro.

Maybe if enough people flood their Facebook page the will reconsider.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris ! What will you switch to ?

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Arkray Glucocard 01 available from ADW adwdiabetes is the same meter as the Walmart Confirm ( Walmart puts its Relion brand name on the Arkray.
    You can get the Arkray Glucocard 01 and 210 strips from ADW for about $72. (200 strips plus 10 strips in the free meter kit).

7. sbluhrs

sbluhrs Member

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Me too... Rad Cat.
    Thank you
    @Chris & China for the heads up! I am now on a quest to buy up as many as I can afford, STRIPS :-|

9. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

AMEN.

10. Chris & China (GA)

They don't

11. Chris & China (GA)

Don't know yet but I just bought 600 Confirm strips so I have some time to look around.

The big problem is DCIN....the meter we send our clients is the Arkray Glucocard01 so that they could get strips at WalMart if they needed them.

Looks like we're going to have to do some looking around to find something comparable that we can afford (and also has strips available at a major store)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I have a bunch of thr Arkray Glucocard 01 meter kits (some without the log book, which I approiated). Would DCIN want them? If so, Let me know where to send them.
    The kits and strips are still available on the ADW website.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Are the Arkray meters being discontinued as well?

14. Chris & China (GA)

15. Chris & China (GA)

Let me ask....we just ordered 20 but if people aren't going to be able to get the strips for it, we're going to have to find a different meter altogether

16. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

@Krystina & Nelli Did you see this post from 10/16? It sounds like you have an alternate already since RadCat is going out of business. A while back you mentioned that she seemed to like her food warmed up a tad.

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I just e mailed Arkray. Will let you know if I get a reply.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  18. Olive & Paula

They might continue the strips for awhile since people will still have the meters. Wishful thinking but it's possible.

19. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

That sucks! I just sent you a confirm meter :(

So I recommend the Novamax blood and ketone meter - you can get it free if you buy strips on their website, and the strips are actually cheaper than the ReliOn strips, I think it’s like 27$ for 100, and they only take 0.3 of blood as well.
    Another alternative is using the alpha track meter with the Insulix strips, they are $30 for 100.

Hope this helps

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  20. Ana & Frosty (GA)

@Chris & China I sent you guys the NovaMax meter I had and the remaining ketone strips so maybe you can give it to someone and they can order the glucose strips for it.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  21. Olive & Paula

Since I have the Nova Max I just ordered the strips. And I have the AT as well and will get the insulinx strips. When looking for alternatives it's so shameful manufacturers made them so expensive.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please start a new thread for replacing Rad Cat Raw food.
    Thanks! :)

23. Hroswitha

Hroswitha Well-Known Member

I'm considering buying the CVS glucose meter. The meter is $16, a box of 200 strips is $30. I don't see a lot of negative reviews on it.

Have others used this one in the past? I still have a One Touch blue, but the strips are so expensive and I don't like the meter much at all.

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Beth 73 and Sue and Luci like this.
  25. Olive & Paula

Sue and Luci likes this.
  26. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I know @Beck and Grandpa (GA) used the NovaMax for glucose and said she really liked it, and almost wanted to keep using it. Since the meter is free on the company website with purchase of strips I think it might save people some money.

27. Olive & Paula

And you have a ketone meter if you need it. Bonus in my mind. I got it just for ketones when Olive first arrived and not responding to insulin. Glad I have it.

28. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hooray! My meter is right near the top! I'm actually really excited about that! I use the Contour Next meter. For what it's worth, I like it a lot and it beeps to let you know when you have enough blood. When you underfill the strip, it gives you a few seconds to add more blood. I've never had a problem with it. You can find the strips at Walmart in a pinch, but they're like $36 for a box of 50. I buy my strips in bulk on eBay, and I generally pay about $10.75 for a box of 50 (I buy 400 at a time).

29. Jill & Alex (GA)

You're welcome!

30. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I have a stupid question but do the novamax need to have the control solution? I haven't ever understood what the purpose of the control solution was used for. I already have one novamax that is also a ketone meter. It looks like they have one meter that is less expensive that is only a BG meter?

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/7480/nova-max-link-meter-kit

FYI-the ReliOn Confirm 100ct box on Wal-Mart website are available and at $25/box (usually $36). I just placed an order for 4 boxes and have 3 boxes here already so will have a bit of time to make the switch.

31. Olive & Paula

Wal-Mart site isn't giving me order option.

32. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I don’t think you need to have one. I always had one for all of the meters just in case I wanted to make sure it worked properly. But I dont think you are required to have one. I think it works the same way as the other meters.

You do not need to purchase a separate meter.- the ketone meter also measures glucose with separate strips. The glucose strips are actually pretty cheap, as we mentioned above. I say if you already have that meter you might as well give the glucose strips a try. Why not. I would

33. LizzieInTexas

No, but I need 2 meters. I must have a back up and use one upstairs and one down. I just don't think it is necessay that both have ketone testing capabilities.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  34. Ana & Frosty (GA)

35. LizzieInTexas

36. LizzieInTexas

37. Olive & Paula

DevilPup and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  38. Ana & Frosty (GA)

The 100 count isn’t available for me either, but it says there’s 2 in stock still for the 50 count. Not sure if that helps. It might be different for different locations, although I’m in NJ so not too far from you Paula.

39. Olive & Paula

That's what I get and in store purchase only.

40. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

41. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

I tried both last evening and just now to order Relion Confirm Test strips. Unable to do so.....unsure how you got thru.

42. LizzieInTexas

IDK either. Received the order confirmation stating delivery 10/23. We shall see.

43. Ana & Frosty (GA)

DevilPup likes this.
  44. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

I think you're good! They would not have given you a delivery date had it not gone thru. Maybe it has to do with areas of the country, distribution points, etc. All that behind the scenes stuff. LOL. Glad you got thru.

45. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

46. Chris & China (GA)

NEW INFO--The ARKRAY GLUCOCARDO1 SENSOR (which is the exact same meter as the Confirm) is NOT being discontinued (at this time). The Relion/Micro ARE......so if you own a Confirm/Micro, you can still get strips from ADW but you'll have to remember to order them in advance so you don't run out at the worst possible time!

These are the strips that will work in both the Relion Confirm and Micro https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/4047/arkray-glucocard-01-sensor-blood-glucose-test-strips

Make sure you order early enough that you don't run out at the worst possible time (like when your kitty decides to go deep sea diving at 2am on a Sunday morning!)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Osha, carfurby (GA) and Beth 73 like this.
  47. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Chris ..you are the BEST :bighug:

48. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I hope they don't discontinue it.

49. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What about the Relion Prime strips?

50. Chris & China (GA)

There's no news about the Prime....As far as I know, it'll still be available along with the strips.

51. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris, I just got off the phone with my Walmart. They said that the Prime, Micro, and, Confirm are still be carried.......she said it was the Ultama that was discontinued. Think I am going to buy up a bunch of the Prime just in case the person I spoke with doesn't know what she is talking about.

52. Chris & China (GA)

53. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Oh this is great news, that means the ReliOn meter I sent will still be usable :)

I think ADW offers autoship - signing up for that may be helpful to have strips delivered as often as you need it to avoid running out! I do that with the cat food, litter, and I did that with some of Frosty’s medicine.

54. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I also wrote to Arkray and they replied that the Arkray Glucocard 01 and it's strips (Glucocard 01 Sensor) are NOT being discontinued. Good News! The Glucocard 01 and Glucocard 01 Sensor strips are available at ADW.

Chris: now that the Glucocard 01 seems to be still with us, would you like me to send DCIN the meter kits I have? (I always ordered Rusty's strips from ADW and took advantage of the "free" meter kit when 200 strips were ordered; you get 10 extra strips that way: https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/4045/arkray-glucocard-01-blood-glucose-monitoring-kit
    Let me know.

55. Gingembre1

Gingembre1 Member

For anyone using the NovaMax glucose monitors, I've found a generic supplier that gets excellent reviews: www.stripsupply.com. You can get the strips for less than $0.25/each through this supplier. I think they also have the Bayer Contour strips, but those are pricier.

56. LizzieInTexas

I just got an email from AWD.

Carol in Chicago likes this.
  57. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I can still get 50 pks of Micro/Confirm strips at both my WallyWorld's here, I just have to ask for them as they are now behind the counter. The 'spot' on the shelves has disappeared. The Prime strips are always well stocked on shelves as is the new blue colored meter (forgot name)...

58. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

@Squeaky and KT (GA) Thank you for the reply after mine elsewhere today. I really needed someone to back me up and I know that took courage. :bighug:

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  59. Squeaky and KT (GA)

You're so funny Dickson.... :)

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  60. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Let's hope it sticks. I had the same drama production in a series of increasingly creepy PM's with a former member who thought "it" was a joke. This is too much like high school sometimes. "She hit me first Mr. Johnson". Oh grow up. :(

61. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I just realized what post you were talking about Dickson, I was still thinking this 'strips' thread...yep it was a tough one. Thanks for the hug...

62. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

I posted this in a thread last week but I bought the OnSync (carried at Kroger) about 2 weeks ago when our Walmart stopped carrying any of the Prime/Micro products. I LOVE it. It takes so little blood (maybe even less that the Prime I was using) and the strips are less expensive too. I was able to get 100 for 23.00. I did a comparison of the two meters with my remaining strips and they were pretty close - especially on the lower numbers (both are recorded on my SS).

Just another alternative if you're looking for a low cost option that doesn't require much blood.