OTJ for 15 months and now reading 314 :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jeanice, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello all,
    The last time I was on this board was awhile ago and I was able to get my prednizone induced kitty OTJ within 2 weeks time. I am very grateful for all members. I have a few questions and truly hope someone can provide insight.

1. From members experience what is the gentlest insulin: Shadow has transient diabetes and last time I was shooting fat zeros that would bring him from 315 to 40 on humalin and PZI.
    2. Which Glucometer is most accurate: I was using a Relion last time but wonder if others have had good experiences with other brands. I would like to have 2 different reliable meters for round 2.
    3. Shadow has been diet controlled with Chicken and low carb fancy feast, should I begin to free feed him once I start shooting?
    4. Is there a higher traffic area that I should post this on?

I learned alot really fast last round and have lost some of it as I haven't had to use it in awhile. I will be looking around on the new site, but it has changed since I last used. Any assistance is appreciated I will be tracking him for the next few days and if numbers continue will need to visit the vet and start shooting. :(

Sincerely,
    Jeanice and Shadow confused_cat

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Jeanice,

Before you think about putting Shadow back on insulin, is it possible that Shadow got into some sort of high carb yummy?
    One high number - even a days worth of "not normal" numbers does not mean, necessarily, that insulin is called for again.
    A lot of things can temporarily drive up the BGL - pain, sneaking carbs, illness, stress, etc., but once the underlying cause is gone - so are the higher numbers.

My honest suggestion would be to test again, preferably at least 5-6 times over the next 24 hours and get a mini-curve of sorts.
    If THOSE tests indicate diabetic numbers, then it is time to discuss insulin again.

If they go back to normal, I am betting Shadow stole a high carb nummy!

~M

3. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I would also make sure there is no teeth problems or UTI
    the relion is a good meter. they have newer versions that sip a lot faster and use a smaller drop than the old ultima and only a few dollars more. other choices, One touch ultra. contour and free style, accuchek aviva. I like all of them. but I but according to cost of strips and the relion is the cheapest, next is truetrak . used this and like also

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

jeanice, more or less exactly what happened with me and tom. including the steroid induced diabetes and very quickly otj.
    i only know of the harsher insulins.
    i am currently using pzi. many more here are using lantus however it does seem to require alot more testing and exact timing whereas pzi is a bit more forgiving of your schedule.
    those are the two i would reccomend you consider. we are a small but growing group in pzi if you want to start there. you should quickly remember all you once knew soon as you start and be right back in the dance.
    as far as meters...i like accu-check aviva or one touch....i suppose there are individual preferences but my accu check really sucks up the tiniest amount of blood and i like that.
    best of luck,
    lori and tom
    did you by any chance start snacking him occasionally on the dry kibble? that is what i am guilty of.

5. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Shadow's numbers:
    No high carb sneaking indicated. Shadow is stressed, we have a new baby and he has been acting depressed. Since we brought him hope a slow climb up from 97 in December 160 in January-May. June he went over 200. He had a UTI about 2 weeks ago that we did address with a round of antibiotics. The vet did say he does have bad teeth but how does that contribute? I am going to be testing him periodically for the next several days and will post results.
    Thank you all. You are so helpful. I am so grateful for this board.

Jeanice and shadow

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well stress alone can do it. the uti, the baby (and noise and jeolousy) and the perhaps infected teeth. yep, that can bring those #'s up. tom also has bad teeth but i don't have the grand it would cost to remove them.
    since he has been steadily climbing for a few months i think it would be wise to start him on the insulin as his pancreas is only getting weaker from the on going rise in #'s. the quicker you address it the better chance of beating it back.

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Possibly the UTI is not completely gone....and the teeth...sigh...those kitty teeth and all the issues involved with them! If there is a bad infection, raised BGs is one way to become aware of infections that we cannot see. I would be back to the vet if that is possible for you now. I called around and found a reasonably priced vet for dentals but I did have to call around. They can be very expensive but they are really soooo so necessary.
    I have a Shadow too! :mrgreen: He is prone to heavy plaque. I hope your vet will be able to help Shadow feel better real soon!
    ETA: I use the Reli-On Micro and love the price of the test strips and the little amount of blood needed for the testing.
    Bets bet is to get to the vet and then ask about insulin. I use Levemir - longer duration insulin with action similar to Lantus. I know nothing about PZI since we were first prescribed Vetsulin.

8. cjleo

cjleo Member

Any infection, especially dental, raises blood sugars for cats (just like in humans). They just need more insulin to allow energy into the cells when infection or stress is present.

Maybe a short course of insulin will have him OTJ again.

Good luck with him and the new baby.

Claudia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.