OTJ kitty now at 314; numbers from last 3 days insight plz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jeanice, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello all,
    I have been testing Shadow for the last few days to give you all some idea of what is going on. Hopefully someone has some insight into what could be going on. Shadow just got over a UTI which he had antibiotics for, we have a new baby in the house, and he does have bad teeth. Shadow is playing and acting normal, he is not drinking in excess at all right now. I have not given any insulin yet.

06/30

BG @ 9:00 pm 265

07/01

BG@ 8:00 pm 314 (before evening meal of 1/4c. cooked chicken)
    BG@ 9:30 pm 275

07/02

BG@ 4:00 pm 220
    BG@ 11:00 pm 112

07/03

BG@ 5:00 pm 314 (lunch at 3:45 pm)

I don't know what to think just yet but I will continue to test. I will be getting another reading tonight and will attempt three numbers tomorrow and Monday.
    Because of yesterday's numbers I am reluctant to initiate insulin just yet. This is really confusing. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you. Please remember this is a transient, steroid induced diabetic cat. We were in remission for 15 months and only took one week of shooting fat zeros to get into remission. Kitty is very sensitive. Please provide insight. Much appreciated. confused_cat

Jeanice and Shadow

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Teeth could be the issue.

I took Shadoe for her first ever dental, and she had one bad molar that was extracted. Her BG improved greatly or rather she needed much less insulin.

If at all possible, you may want to have the teeth seen because if they are the source, then insulin is not going to fix the numbers.

Another thing is some infection still hanging around? Maybe a followup visit to vet and blood work to see if anything looks out of place.

3. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

He did get down to 112 on his own, which means his body is likely producing some insulin. I would check for keytones in the urine, and watch for other symptoms. Although the symptoms of the UTI may have gone away, his body might still be fighting the remnants of the infection. Once the anti-biotics wear off, the body has to start doing the job again. That might cause a spike in BG. Its easy to worry and think "here we go again", but just take a breath and look at the signals your kitty is giving you. Consult with your vet over the phone, then trust your intuition. If you think something might really be up, take him in to the vet and get a blood test done. If for nothing more than your own peace of mind and good nights sleep without worrying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.