Our first BG Curve-advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurballLover, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

First thing--have to give my big C praise for being such a trooper!! Most of the time he purred during testing, and his idea of a treat is that I 'hand' feed him extra cold h20 from the faucet when we're done! (its low carb and free :lol: ) So relieved he isn't resenting this new inconvenience (and interruptions of nap time)!

Charlie hasn't gotten an injection since thurs pm. His numbers have been great!

For anyone who didn't read my earlier threads, Charlie had an extremely serious hypo two saturdays ago that sent us to the vet. At the time we were giving 3u bid of an insulin that was supposed to be pzi. (long story about the insulin-we will change to a new one) As a result, I started hometesting thurs night.
    His numbers are in the perfect no-shoot range.

I have a theory, tell me if it makes sense:

I think we missed his correct dose without hometesting.
    Feeding kibble d/m kept him from being hypo (he was eating at least 1/2c per day).
    When we reduced his kibble w/o reducing the insulin, he overloaded and had a hypo.
    Switching his diet over to a LC all wet will reduce/eliminate his need for insulin.

I know we don't have a lot of numbers to look at yet, but today's curve made me think he might be in a h*n*ym**n!?
    I'm sure his weight and diet precipitated the diabetes. Is it possible that addressing these issues in an otherwise healthy 8yr old will give us a few years before the disease pops up again? (if we are in fact in a h*neym**n)

The plan is:
    Daily test amps and pmps, but I don't know what the 'magic' number is before I shoot again. I definitely won't start above .25 or .5
    Check the +6/ +8 a few days (even if there's no injections)
    Switch him over to a completely wet LC food (stocked up on a variety today)

I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but the numbers we got today were fantastic!

I would love to hear thoughts from anyone on my 'theory'; and to know what the lowest number to safely shoot is.

One other little question: on our pm +2 test tonight, the first time I did it the number was 253, but I hadn't filled the strip with blood. Immediately did a 2nd test and it was 135. Was the first # wrong (only filled the strip 1/2)? I thought the meter wouldn't give a result if there wasn't enough blood. I'm a little confused and concerned on that one.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

looking good and yes, i think making the switch over completely to low carb food could very well bring those numbers down a bit more and hopefully keep him off insulin.

as far as a number to shoot at, i wouldn't shoot until you see something around 200 and given his hypo history and what looks like some pancreatic activity based on today's numbers, if he gets that high, i'd shoot 1/4 or 1/2 a unit to begin with.

your theory about what happened sounds spot on to me

and lastly, about the test numbers tonight and half a blood sample, there have been a couple other threads or mention in the last few days of the Contour reading wacky if the blood sample is too small so yes, i think that first number you got with only half a sample can be disregarded

3. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Thanx Cindy, I'll keep my fingers crossed for more good #'s!

4. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Hi Jen,

That's a very nice curve, but it's still a bit high to call remission. Switching him to low carb food should bring him even lower. Your testing plan sounds good. Rather than looking at a fixed number for when to shoot, I'd look at the overall pattern. For example, he may be high 200 shortly before or after eating, but then drop back down into the low 100s or double digits once he's had food and it's had some time to digest. Since food will stimulate his pancreas to release insulin, I'd get several tests before and after eating so that you understand how he is processing food. Then set your "no shoot" number based on time before/after food.

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

amps 119 no shot.
    Not too bad, he did the scarf & barf after breakfast again this morning. He never used to do that.

I'm hoping they will transition off the kibble crack this week--wish me luck! (My civie Molly tends to retaliate when I change anything-she has been known to barf on my pillow while I'm sleeping :sad: ) My DH once sent me an online quiz for cat owners--there's a 95% chance she will murder me in my sleep! LOL It was too funny! She is the quintessential tortie and a 'daddy's girl', she really only 'tolerates' the rest of our existence!
    Our 95lb lab is actually afraid of her and she only weighs 9lbs and is declawed--its an interesting hierarchy in our house.

Only doing amps and pmps tests today. I want to give those little ears a break today.
    I was thinking of testing +6 or +8 this week, should I also check +11 on occasion?

edited to add:
    Terri, I just 'got' what you wrote. So, test at the +1,or +2 after meals; and +10, or +11 to see if he spikes his #'s? He's kind of a grazer, so is the +6 a good reference #, or should I skip that one?

6. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Yes---that's what I was suggesting.

The +6 doesn't tell you much if he isn't getting insulin. But honestly, some of us get addicted to testing.

I'm glad it's not Molly with the diabetes. Sounds like she would have "plans" for you. :)

7. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Thanx Terri

If Molly were the sick one, i would be in the hospital getting several skin grafts and they would be re-attaching fingers! I LUV her but she doesn't like to be handled. Our brushing sessions involve me first layering clothes for protection and collecting band-aids and neosporin for the aftermath!!
    Needless to say, she doesn't get groomed much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.