Our update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Voula, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Lucy and I are well and I thought I would post and give an update. I am holding the current dose due to the fact we have had some good green numbers and also because we have had a couple of late and reduced doses. I have been trialling reducing the dose when I am out and can't monitor Lucy's glucose levels as much as I would like instead of delaying the dose until I get home and I think this has been more successful in that whilst we get a few higher numbers we seem to get back on track faster it seems. I probably am reducing the dose at those times too much from 1.75 units to 1.25 units or even 1 unit recently but with the depot effect the numbers get back on track quite fast by the next dose or two doses. I have secured a little on call work to help pay all my medical costs connected with all my recent surgeries and so because of the unpredictable nature of that as well as the necessity to attend important medical appointments I am being cautious with Lucy's insulin doses at those times. I know everything will likely be fine if I leave out higher carb food but my anxiety becomes too high and so I have to find a balance between both of our medical and quality of life needs at this time. But despite our sometimes irregular insulin dosing schedule my Lucy seems fine and happy and I am thankful every day for that. Best wishes to all of you and I hope all the kitties are doing fine.

My previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/our-update.146836/#post-1526393

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Voula,
    Good to see you. And it is very good to hear you are both well.
    I think that is a good idea to reduce the dose a bit instead of giving it later. That is what I do if I can't be here. I agree it can be anxiety causing! I am always pleased to get home and find Sheba is OK.
    I think we have to do what we have to do, to live our lives and look after our kitties. Sometimes it is not ideal but what is in life?! Life is full of compromises one way or another....and finding a balance that satisfies everyone........otherwise life would be too hard.

Hugs to you and Lucy:bighug:

Voula likes this.
  3. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Bron. I am the same way when I go out sometimes. Today I had an appointment and Lucy had a good drop in her glucose level so I gave her some fancy feast grilled that she loves and she was really happy and I was more relaxed. Thank you again. Love to you and Sheba too.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

This says it all! I wasn't working when punkin became diabetic, and I went back to work after a year or so. It was definitely an adjustment to have to leave him and go to work, and there were many times I drove home on my lunch time to check him.

But the important thing is that Lucy is doing well - that's everything!

So glad to see a Lucy update!

Voula likes this.
  5. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Julie. :bighug: I don't know how people who work full time outside the home do it. I would be so anxious all the time. At the moment I am home most of the time as still feel anxious. Yes Lucy is good and the things that I worry about more at the moment are her teeth as she needs another dental done and her arthritis and we will see the vet in the next few weeks about that. Thank you again.

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

How I'm doing it at the moment is by burning through some of my annual leave most days! Luckily it was at the maximum before he fell off the wagon. Since he won't eat by himself when he goes low I think I will have to go part time if I run out of annual leave. That's going to make things very interesting financially! It was much easier last time when I could rely on him to eat.

Nice that you've been experimenting and found a better way to dose when you need to be out. Well done, Lucy is a lucky kitty to have such a thoughtful and dedicated mumbean :)

Thanks for your support with Vyktor today, I'm sure you understand how anxious I am :woot:

Voula likes this.
  7. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I sure do understand anxiety Serryn. My Lucy is my world and I know Vyktor and Meg are so precious to you too. :bighug:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  8. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I have a medical appointment today to have some tests done so I gave my Lucy a reduced dose of 1 unit. So now we are at almost AM +7 and at AM +6 she got a green number. Now I am anxious to leave and go to my appointment but I will test again soon. Hopefully with some higher carb food everything will be fine. My neighbour is just next door and I can ask her to come in and check on Lucy and I will leave the icam on as I always do. @Bron and Sheba @julie & punkin (ga) @Vyktors Mum Thank you for any opinions.

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I suspect if you leave her plenty of food, she's likely to be fine.

Good luck at your appointment!

Voula likes this.
  10. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Julie. I just did an AM +7 test and it was 6.9/124 after low carb food at AM +6 test. I know the AM +7 test was food affected but the increase seems about what I would expect from low carb food. Sometimes when Lucy's glucose levels are dropping they drop even with low carb food.

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Voula,
    Sorry, I only just logged on and saw your alert.
    Hope all went well with the appt and Lucy was OK when you got back.
    I went out to lunch today and Sheba was dropping....in the blue...but quite fast...but I figured I had a couple of hours before I had to worry and she was fine when I got home. But I understand your anxiety when the numbers are low. I am the same:bighug:

Voula likes this.
  12. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

When you've got an urgent question it's a good idea to update your subject line to catch anyone that may be on. I'm glad Julie was here for you today :) I hope your appointment went well.

Go Lucy :D

Voula likes this.
  13. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Bron and Serryn. My Lucy was fine as I left some higher carb food out. I don't like leaving the house for long when she has a dropping green number so I changed my appointment to a few hours later and I was able to go to it with more confidence. Thank you again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.