? Out of remission? Do I start insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I never even posted it, but Katie has been in remission (her 2nd remission) for the last 3 months. Her numbers post remission have been very good, 50's-60's on the relion, and under 100 on a alphatrak.

Well, not after a very stressful 10 days (and counting), her numbers have significantly risen.

Katie had 8 extractions about 10 days ago. She was okay until Friday. Then quit eating.
    They found a large salivary mucocele under her tongue. Preventing her from eating. They also think there may be a little infection going on.
    After 3 vet trips and an ER visit (one of the worst experiences of my life), she went all weekend without eating or drinking. ER vet refused to give her fluids), back to my vet on Monday, she is prescribing clindamycin and painkillers.
    She is eating very little now, sometimes not at all. Vet thinks the mucocele will go away in time, she does not think that is infected, but really inflamed, but she saw a little pus around the stitches. She thinks the antibiotics and time is key. I hope she is right. I am not seeing any improvement.

Her numbers were still excellent as late as Sunday, 70 on relion, 100 on alphatrak. I didnt test on Mon or Tues because of vet visit and the turmoil going on here with trying to medicate her and get her to eat.
    Yesterday she was 118 on relion, 169 on alphtrak. This morning she is 108 on relion, 159 on alpha.

Opinions... do I start small dose of insulin to help support her pancreas? Or wait this out and see what happens? I dont want her numbers to go any higher.
    This has been the most stressful time of her life, and unfortunately I cannot eliminate all the stress, she fights tooth and nail with the meds, is uncomfortable, and likely in some pain. But now with 2 higher BG readings, I don't know if I contribute it to only stress.

My poor girl, she went into a 2nd remission after 3 years back on the juice, she also had a i-131 treatment for her thyroid in May (stressful hospital stay). So we fixed the hyperthyroid, she went into remission, she just needed to get her dental and it was suppose to be all good now. She had been doing SO well, and everything had been so good...she's been such a good little trooper, this is breaking my heart.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you are going through this. Poor Katie. She must feel miserable. And I’m sure you are worried.
    I’m glad she is on antibiotics and painkillers.
    If she still won’t eat she could possibly be nauseated so think about asking for some
    Cerenia.

I think those numbers are on the top end of normal and at this point I would not a start insulin but wait and see if the antibiotics, and painkillers make a difference after a few days.
    I’d keep taking the BG a few times a day and see what they are. Take BG before eating and then a couple of hours later. If the BG goes down the pancreas is working.

Please stay in touch and keep us posted.
    Let’s see what others say.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree about waiting before starting insulin. Both pain and the infection could cause the increase in the glucose levels.

You may also want to mix extra water in her food to make it soupy. If her mouth is painful drinking her food may be easier for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.