Out of remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

after almost a full year in remission. CC tested at 287 today. I am totally bummed. I'll call the vet later today. :( She's acting fine. Better then fine. Purring, eating normal, feeling good. Don't know why she suddenly slipped back into it. I tested twice just to be sure. It was 287 then 286. This sucks.
    Last week she was still normal. We did go away for two days, but I doubt that stress would cause 150 point jump.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, nooooo!!!!!

As long as she seems otherwise OK, I'd give it a few days before calling the vet-- sometimes numbers go up for temporary reasons (working on a hairball, constipation, etc.). Just make sure to be testing for ketones at the same time.

Crossing fingers this is just a temporary blip...

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that this is a blip, Janet.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a fluke. Even 'normal' cats can have elevated BG sometimes, right?!

5. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

I say give it a day or two as well. As I understand it, anything could account for a rise..even seeing another cat outside! Keeping our paws crossed it's just a freak reading!

6. JanetNJ

well there certainly are a lot of cats outside... we feed a colony who live in our garage... every day there are 5-7 cats. I tested again two hours later and it's still high. 297. I emailed her vet to see what she thinks.

7. JanetNJ

I'm hoping if it is a relapse, catching it early will help. just 5 days ago she was still in normal rage.

8. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Sounds like a good plan.

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, no..... (((Janet))).... It could be temporary, and I really hope it is.....
    Any chance she could have eaten something she shouldn't have...?

C'mon CC, get that BG down for your Mama....

10. JanetNJ

it is possible... but she hasn't eaten anything in two hours, so i doubt that's it.

11. Waheeda

Waheeda Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed it's just temporary Janet!

12. Lillie

Lillie Member

Hoping it's a temporary blip.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Here's to a quick boost if she needs some insulin again, Janet! Might kick her back into remission :bighug:. Has she pooped? :smuggrin:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

NO IDEA. I have six cats... so unless I seclude her or catch her in the act it could be anyone. the box she usually uses had poop in it though. haha

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  15. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Sorry to hear that, Janet. Hoping it may just be a blipp for you. But at least you are on to the case quickly and with your expertise will be back in remission again quickly hopefully.

16. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Oh no Janet! Give her few more days, I really hope her BG is not due to diabetes, let's hope she will drop to normal BG soon.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Keep us informed.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Fingers and paws crossed that it's a temporary situation! :bighug:

18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh no Janet :( I hope that's not the case. Could be something to do with the eclipse tomorrow? lots of people are saying pets are a bit off. The only difference I have seen is that Tempest is eating more and following me around, climbing on my knee etc. But I'm not necessarily chalking that up to it. :bighug:

19. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Janet, I am sending healing vines your way, out of remission is so sad if that is what is happening. If BG doesn't go down perhaps Tempest has an infection of some sort. When Shaak came out of remission it turned out to be a UTI, however, I thought it was her food and changed her food and I made it worse and have never been able to get her back into remission. I will say prayers for you and Tempest both.

20. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for you Janet :bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. JanetNJ

still high tonight. 268

22. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

Good vibes coming your way!!!

23. JanetNJ

Just 17 days from what would have been 1 year.

24. apple

apple Member

So sorry to read about this.

Maybe it's just a moment and will remedy itself.

JanetNJ likes this.
  25. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Janet. I know how I felt and Lou hadn't even officially achieved remission, so I can only imagine how you feel. We've got our fingers and paws crossed for you and CC.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. JanetNJ

She's never had a UTI before but I will take her to the vet today or tomorrow and have her checked. :( 4am and the numbers are still up at 246. She told me she feels fine though. ;) IMG_5144.JPG

27. Waheeda

What a cutie!

JanetNJ and Cherish Gallagher like this.
  28. JanetNJ

Haha she was posing all cute. I think she was super happy to have middle of the night attention. I may not like it, but she loves when I can't sleep.

29. JanetNJ

Ok so this morning at 7am it's 177. So still too high but so much better than yesterday. I'm glad to be back in the blues.

30. Waheeda

Something must have spooked her last night! Fingers crossed it will keep dropping.

31. Kris & Teasel

She's very pretty! I hope her numbers continue to come down, Janet.

32. JanetNJ

Slightly higher now at 204.

33. Elizabeth and Bertie

Janet, do you have any control solution to test your meter with? Just trying to rule out meter wonkiness.....

34. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    She is such cute girl, Janet!
    Sorry about the remission but CC knows already how to get there and I hope she'll repeat the trick soon!

35. JanetNJ

I thought of that... I need to get a new control solution. It says to discard after 3 months, and it's over a year old.

36. JanetNJ

So she just tested at 316. So I called and made an appointment for tomorrow at 4pm. SOMETHING must be going on for her to go that high. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it and get her back on track. Maybe the dental caused an infection? Maybe she's constipated? Hopefully nothing too serious. At least I know I caught it quickly. To just watch her you would never know anything was wrong.

Send some healing vines that whatever it is is treatable.

37. apple

apple Member

Sending vines.

38. Kris & Teasel

Healing vines on their way to you and CC. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

39. Waheeda

More vines your way!

40. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Ha Ha. Great pic. You know...Janet...I think you are a bit in denial on this!:D You're pretty much a diabetes expert. It sounds like CC has at least a little bit of diabetes. A little insulin would probably make her feel a little better to be in the lower ranges. I guess you could test over a 7 day period in the hopes that CC will self-reduce the BG.

41. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking today's eclipse has some effect. Seen a few kitties with higher numbers today, even one in remission. :bookworm:

42. JanetNJ

Definitely not an expert. I agree and I would give a little insulin if I had it. My vial is open and is over a year old. She's going in tomorrow for a checkup... provided she has no infections causing the sudden rise, I'll get a new vial start her on insulin tomorrow night. In the meantime she's loving all the extra fussing I'm giving her. Up at 2 am testing a cat... man I do not miss this. haha

Kris & Teasel and JeffJ like this.
  43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hoping that it turns out this was just a blip and all is well, Janet! Keep us posted.

JanetNJ likes this.
  44. JanetNJ

ty... I'm quite nervous about it all. I mean it is what it is... but with school starting in two weeks I hate that I won't be able to monitor like I did last year if she has to go back on insulin... plus most people find it's harder to get them back into remission a second time. Just worried. Plus wondering WTH happened to cause her to go off the rails.

45. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Of course sending all the vines we have. (I'm curious how the phrase "Vines" came to be?)
    Has her weight changed? That could do it right?

46. JanetNJ

Not sure how the term started. Maybe because vines reach out? No idea.

She gained weight over the last few months as arthritis made her less mobile.... About 7 weeks ago we started her on adequan which has helped and she's been more active lately.

47. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Maybe it's just the gain?

Funny story...I had weight loss surgery in 1999 and after surgery and losing weight, I found out I had reactive hypoglycemia. Apparently when you are overweight and eating more, your pancreas produces a lot of insulin to process the food. Unfortunately when you lose the weight and are eating less, your pancreas doesn't have the ability to reset itself...so it continues to produce large amounts of insulin that over processes the decreased food you take in...leading to hypoglycemia...and passing out unfortunately. I have adjusted my diet and it hardly happens anymore but if cats' pancreases are as sensitive and reactive, I could see how a weight difference up or down, could affect the need to change insulin dose. , So I have too much insulin and Tigger doesn't have enough! Too bad I couldn't give him some. :p

Thank God you are so on top of it.

JanetNJ likes this.
  48. JanetNJ

Definitely something to discuss with the vet.

49. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Vines was a typo. A member was trying to say vibes. It just ended up sticking!

vbc2000 and JanetNJ like this.
  50. JanetNJ

Ah see? Mystery solved. I am at the vet right now.

51. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Let us know what happens!

52. JanetNJ

They are sending out a urinalysis so we will see. They don't want me to start insulin just yet.... Gunna wait a few more days and see.

53. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

I have my fingers, toes and paws crossed for you! I haven't made it a full month with Pita's remission and he's already showing higher numbers again. I can sympathize a bit on the feeling. Sending good thoughts!! :bighug:

54. JanetNJ

It's rare you HOPE your cat has a UTI.... At least if she did it would explain things.

55. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:( Really hope you get the news you want Janet, saying prayers and sending hugs!

56. JanetNJ

Just got a 408

57. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Oh dear :( When will you hear about the tests that were done?

58. JanetNJ

I hope by tomorrow. I'm very worried. She was negative for ketones yesterday. She's acting the same except drinking more today.

59. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Oh no, Janet, that's awful! I hope it'll turn out to be something easily treatable and that both of you will be feeling better soon!

60. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending you healing vines CC

61. Amanda and a Loudogg

I was just thinking of you and CC, so I wanted to check in. I'm sorry you haven't had any good news yet, but I'm sending some positive energy your way. You said they were sending out a urinalysis. Were they just sending out a urine culture or the whole UA? The UA as a test is super quick and easy and completed within minutes (they use a dipstick like you would use for ketones). I'd be surprised if they didn't perform that in-house. Do they run blood tests there? Regardless I hope you find something out soon! :bighug:

62. JanetNJ

Culture too I think. What they tested in house didn't show anything.

63. Waheeda

Healing vines your way! Culture will take a week? I hope it's something easily treatable.

64. Amanda and a Loudogg

Okay, that makes sense. It's unlikely there's an infection with a negative UA, but it's not impossible. I'm not sure how far they're sending the culture for processing, but the actual culture will take 24-48 hours, as they grow out any bacteria. Did the vet say anything about CC's teeth?

65. JanetNJ

Everything looks fine, they are baffled.

The only thing I mentioned as a possibility other than the teath or UTI is thrusday we caught her biting an iris leaf... they are toxic. I pulled it out of her mouth and it didn't look like she ate any of it. The vet asked if afterwards she had thrown up or anything and I didn't see any throw up ... but who knows, sometimes they throw up under a bed or something. She didn't think that was it though. I have since pulled the iris' OUT as pretty as they are. Not taking any chances.

PRAISE GOD, her number is down a bit now from a high this afternoon of 428 down to 208.... that's a much less scary number. Her body is fighting SOMETHING. I hope the dramatic drop means she hit the peak of whatever this is causing her numbers to soar and she's coming back down. I don't know. Just keep praying. she was less energetic today then yesterday, but just now (3am) when I came down to see her she was one her feet and meowing hello at me.

I've had music for healing cats playing all night.... Closed her window so she can't get stressed from other cats outside... moved a feliway diffuser down by her... I even blessed her with holy water.. I'm not Catholic... just thought it was worth a shot. (had some from my son's baptisim 5 years ago! haha) I'm doing whatever I can do.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  66. Waheeda

It has got to be the eclipse then!

JanetNJ likes this.
  67. JanetNJ

I hope so... then I won't have to worry for 7 years until the next one. ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  68. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Glad she is improving a bit!

69. Kris & Teasel

Fingers crossed you and CC get through this. :):bighug:

70. apple

apple Member

Question: someone told me their cat's #s got higher for two or three days when allergies strike. I thought that was you. I was bummed when my cats #s went up and I was sure you have me that example and told me to wait it out a day or two.

If that was you, could this be one of thoae moments?

Sending vines

71. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Radar is always stressed when I start going to my classroom after being home all summer to feed and pet and nap with him. In Radar, the stress usually shows up as a reluctance to eat. It's possible that your CC is having a similar reaction to the impending school year. Although I agree those icky 300s are indicators of something else at work. These are for you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: When Radar had to go back on insulin, it was devastating but we knew he needed insulin again before our vet visit. Hang in there. Second remissions do happen. And sometimes even a third. :woot:

72. JanetNJ

she does have ever a little bit of allergies I think.... But I don't think it would cause a 300 point increase.

73. JanetNJ

I don't think so my school hasn't started yet... I've only gone to set up twice.

74. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

Sorry to hear this, Janet, I'm right there with you with Plum. Do you think it could be the YA food? I took Plum off it (per vet's advice) and it does seem to affect his bg....I know that should not be the case, but every time I let him have a little it spikes him up. C'mon, CC & Plum, get on back to the Falls!

75. JanetNJ

Ya food doesn't spike cc. If anything I credit it with helping get her into remission.

76. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sending prayers and hope it was just the eclipse thing. :bighug::bighug:

77. JanetNJ

Any idea what caused plum to go up again?

78. Elizabeth and Bertie

((((Janet))))... Can't think of any suggestions - you seem to be looking at everything possible...(apart from asking if you recently bought new food; just wondering if the formulation has changed somehow...).... ....Grasping at straws here....

Oh, and I wonder if it's possible that something arose from that recent dental... But that seems unlikely, because you say CC looks well.....

79. JanetNJ

Vet called.... all the tests came back fine. No infections of any kind. They did a fructosamine and that is coming back as non diabetic as well. Well that tells me it's only been high starting sat/sunday if the average is still in normal range. This is so frustrating!

80. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Have you checked your meter? Could there be a problem with your strips? Bad batch or low battery?

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  81. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Good suggestions.

The AT2 battery is supposed to be good for 1000 tests. I always change mine long before I ever get the low battery alert. With the amount of testing you were doing prior to OTJ and the length of time since OTJ...if you haven't changed the battery...that would be a good thing to rule out. Also with the strips it would be good if you could do a control solution test...just to be sure. It is always good to rule out all the basics.

Hope you are able to find a simple answer to this sudden change in readings. :bighug::bighug:

82. JanetNJ

Well the control solution showed it was OK... Although that is a year old. I have new strips arriving in a day or two... I can try a strip from there. I suppose I could try changing the battery but I think it's OK.

83. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

Nope - had him checked at the vet; everything looks great, which is good, but frustrating.

84. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I hope it's just something simple like the strips or the battery, I guess you could test yourself and see? ;)

85. JanetNJ

We are in the same boat then. How long did you wait before starting insulin again?

86. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

Well, I am currently in a bit of an argument with the vet, who does not want me to give him insulin. Honestly it seems like they just want to keep racking up tests & fees. I have a pretty old vial that I've been using, and it does seem to still be effective but I'm worried that it's not what I should be doing. (It's the original one from May 2016; has been stored in the refrigerator the whole time and is not cloudy or discolored.)

Vet has yet to re-prescribe anything, even though I took him in on July 20. So I put him back on the (old) juice two days after I noticed high bg readings. If you take a look at his spreadsheet you can see that I've got him at 1.5 units right now.

87. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

Oh and I wanted to add, he's playful, active & happy just as normal. He was drinking & peeing more, but since I took him completely off the YA dry that has decreased. He still thinks he's starving, though. :cat:

88. JanetNJ

I still have my old vial too but haven't tried using it.

89. JanetNJ

I don't understand what they feel the benefit of waiting. I'm going to give it a week and if I don't start seeing a significant decrease I'll start being a squeaky wheel.

PlumsMom likes this.
  90. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Glad to know nothing showed up on tests but so frustrating!

91. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

My Alphatrak2 was new 2 years ago. The battery lasted 1.9 years. The tests were all good until the battery died.

Frustrating that there is no definite prognosis for CC. Even if it is not diabetes, could you give some insulin to pull down the BG?

92. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

sending prayers... I have concerns about my Rico coming out of remission as I have had to start the budesonide again :(
    After a year it seems it would be smooth sailing but these kittys keep us on our toes!
    Hoping it is just something that will pass but at least you know what to do if you do need to give a little insulin. Maybe CC just need s a little boost :)
    Beautiful kitty:cat:

93. JanetNJ

Just to cover all bases I got new strips and a new battery today.... Still 284.... It was worth a try.

94. JanetNJ

I would but the vets are still saying wait and see.... I'm about ready to lose it. Tomorrow will be a week.

95. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Dang it. Was so hoping it was that. :( I'm still thinking so maybe something will come up to try. :bighug:

96. Elizabeth and Bertie

Janet, I really wish I could reach through the screen and give you a huge reassuring hug.... ...Please consider yourself (((HUGGED)))!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  97. JanetNJ

The vets are hopeful (I think overly optimistic) that the high numbers are temporary and will come down. I think the sooner we start insulin the better our chances of second remission. I am feeling very frustrated.

98. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

That sounds SUPER frustrating--I'm so sorry you're having to wait, on top of just dealing with the stress and disappointment and mystery :(

99. Waheeda

They can go out of remission out of the blue.
    Is CC suddenly drinking and eating a lot more?

100. JanetNJ

Nope. A little less playful but had I not tested if never know she was having a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.