Overwhelmed and exhausted.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Websterthecat, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Earlier this morning I found out that my 5 year old cat has diabetes and will need insulin shots twice per day. I've spent several hours reading this website as well as several others trying to gather as much information as possible as my cat is hospitalized for the next 3-4 days receiving fluids, vitamins, and insulin.

Even as a 32 year old male with fairly thick skin, I was quickly reduced to tears as I watched my cat hide lifelessly under the bed vomiting with his inner eyelids half closed. I was certain that I was witnessing the last moments of his life this morning. Needless to say, I was (and still am) a nervous wreck.

I suppose that I'm here to tell my story and get some advice and reassurance from others who have had similar experiences.

Over the past 2 weeks I noticed that my cat was drinking a lot of water and peeing in the litter box frequently. I started to read up on the symptoms and decided to wait a few days before taking action because he seemed active and alert and showed no other symptoms of illness. I suppose I was burying my head in the sand hoping that it was something minor and would resolve itself.

A couple weeks went by and I noticed less poop in his box and a lot of pee. Yesterday he was avoiding me and stopped eating all food, even his favorite treats. His coat was dull and covered in dandruff. I knew it was time to bring him to the vet.

I took him to the vet and was told that he was moderately dehydrated. He was given a shot of fluid under the skin and blood was taken which was to be analyzed overnight. I then took him home.

This morning I woke up and found vomit all over the bed in my spare bedroom. He hid while vomiting again under the coffee table and bed staring straight ahead with glossy eyes that were half covered by his inner white eyelids. I called the vet and I insisted that I bring my cat in.

Upon arrival the doctor said that based on the previous days test results there was elevated levels of sugar in his blood and high level of Keton (i believe) that he likely had diabetes. The doctor wanted to keep him for a few days to do an x-ray, give him fluids, test his urine for sugars, and start him on insulin.

I received a call a few hours later with news that the urine test confirmed that he did in fact have Diabetes and I believe she mentioned Ketoacidosis. All the information was very difficult to digest so quickly. She said he was okay and hanging in there.... Sort of reassuring I suppose.

In a way I'm relieved that I know whats going on with him and he will hopefully live through this and recover. As I sit here and worry about my cat who is laid up in some dark kennel with an IV in him, the reality of insulin shots, blood sugar monitoring, and urine testing has my head spinning.

Okay. breathe. After my long winded introduction I'll move on with a few questions:

1. My estimate from the vet mentions the use of Glargine/Lantus while being hospitalized. Is this stuff any good and should I continue to give this brand to him when he's released? Whats the best stuff out there?
    2. Will the vet give me a hard time about monitoring his glucose levels at home with a glucose monitor?
    3. I read that some successfully rid their cats of Diabetes by changing their diet while treating with insulin. Won't I need to monitor his sugar to determine if insulin needs to be increased, decreased or not used?
    4. I'm having a difficult time deciding on food for his new diet. It appears that a low carb/high protein wet food diet is suggested by many. Anyone suggest a brand? Anyone have experience making their own fresh food?

Sorry for all of the nonsense. I'm blindsided by this life changing event and could use some reassurance. confused_cat

2. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hello
    welcome and you are right first B R E A T H E. We have ALL been where you are and believe it or not it gets better and easier. Lantus is a great insulin and many of our cats are on it. you give 2 shots per day 12 hours apart and you have to test blood sugar levels before each shot and usually at least 2 more times at the middle of the cycle which is usually the low point (somewhere between 5 and 8 hours after insulin shot. best food is basically any type of pate ...alot of us use friskies pate or fancy feast pate. (the ones with no wheat gluten) this change alone can bring their blood sugar down quite a bit. Lantus is a great insulin to use as it is a depot insulin.... it lasts a long time. if you do end up using it, please feel free to post in relaxed lantus or tight regulation forum. in each of those forums, please read the "stickies" at the top of the forum. lots of your questions will be answered there. you can do this. just relax, read and ask as many questions as you want. we all started where you are now and were overwhelmed but this forum will help you learn how to give your cat a long and healthy life. my cat started just like your....almost exactly.... in the hospital with ketoacidosis. he is just starting to get better numbers and he feels great. don't worry.... we will all help you. you need to be patient
    this is a marathon...not a sprint. you def have to test your cat's blood sugar no matter what the vet says. you will find that these folks know alot more than most vets so please always ask questions here about anything that you learn at the vets. WELCOME. You CAN do this and you and your kitty will do great. all the help you need is here with all of these experienced people. i am new too..about 3 months and i started where you are and have learned so much here. i would def suggest coming over to the relaxed lantus forum as soon as you start with lantus at home or come on over now. great people who can help alot over there.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

1. My estimate from the vet mentions the use of Glargine/Lantus while being hospitalized. Is this stuff any good and should I continue to give this brand to him when he's released? Whats the best stuff out there?
    Lantus is a very good insulin and seems to now be the most common one used for cats
    2. Will the vet give me a hard time about monitoring his glucose levels at home with a glucose monitor?
    Only your vet knows if he supports home testing. You do not need your vet's permission to home test. The AAH recomments home testing . Show this to your vet if problems
    http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/ ... elines.pdf
    3. I read that some successfully rid their cats of Diabetes by changing their diet while treating with insulin. Won't I need to monitor his sugar to determine if insulin needs to be increased, decreased or not used?
    Yes, some cats go in remission with diet change and initial insulin dosing. That is one reason why home testing is important. Most of us here test before each shot.
    4. I'm having a difficult time deciding on food for his new diet. It appears that a low carb/high protein wet food diet is suggested by many. Anyone suggest a brand? Anyone have experience making their own fresh food?
    You want caned with less than 10% of calories from carbs. Here is a complete listing of the canned foods
    http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf
    Here is a listing of those with less than 8% carbs
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87391

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB.

You've found a really great place to get help and support with your kitty. (Webster? ) Like Nadine, I joined FDMB a few months ago. My girl Saoirse has diabetes and pancreatitis and thanks to the help and information I have received here since joining, my girl is doing really well.

From your reading, you've already got the basics down, namely:

1. Insulin

Lantus (aka glargine) - it's a long-acting insulin, and a very good choice for cats.

2. Home Monitoring.

Most of the members here use human glucometers (e.g. if you're in the US, Relion Confirm or Relion Micro are popular here - available from Walmart - reasonably-priced test strips). Whether or not your vet supports your choice to home test, I strongly recommend you do it anyway. It is the best way to keep your cat safe and also to help him become better regulated. We can help you with advice on technique.

Diabetic cats need to be monitored for ketones. Because your cat is currently being treated for DKA, when he gets home you will need to be extra-careful about checking him for ketones regularly. This can be done at home using urine test strips such as Ketodiastix. Alternatively, you can get meters that test for ketones. I think there are meters that can use two different types of test strip - one for glucose, and one for ketones. Your vet may be able to advise you on meter choice, but the people here may also be able to give you more advice about meters/running costs, etc. (I've only got a meter that checks blood glucose).

3. Low Carb Wet Diet

Switching to a low carb wet food - the most important thing here is to only start the transition to a low, carb wet food once you have started home testing and you are home to monitor your cat frequently. If you don't work weekends that's a good time to start because you'll be able to test regularly. The transition can result in BG numbers getting significantly lower very quicky and you should discuss insulin dosing requirements for the transition with your vet in advance because a reduction in insulin dose may well be needed. If you haven't already come across Dr Lisa Pierson DVM's site about feline nutrition and health, here's a link to her section about feline diabetes. Dr Lisa's site also has a chart that details the carb content of many commercial cat foods. As a general guide, foods that have less than 10% of calories from carbohydrates are good, foods with less than 6% are better but you should get advice on any special requirements needed because of the DKA. Hopefully other members with experience of caring for cats who are ketone-prone will be able to guide you much better.

Be sure to discuss feeding strategy with your vet, especially before planning a switch to low carb wet food. Make sure your vet tells you about all of the factors that affect the feeding, treatment and monitoring of ketone-prone diabetic cats. Also, ask questions here.

In general, it is a good idea to add extra water to wet food. It's good for urinary tract health and maintaining proper hydration. From what I've read here, making sure that your cat gets plenty of fluids is especially important for cats prone to ketones. Hopefully members with direct experience will be able to tell you more about this. Again, there is a lot of information on cats' fluid requirements on Dr Lisa's site.

As a general comment, from what I've read here if a ketone-prone cat loses appetite the situation should be addressed immediately. Food transitions can cause tummy upsets so I'd suggest discussing a very gradual transition to a low carb diet with your vet and agree a plan with your vet about what to do if there are any hiccups during a transition. Again, ask for advice here and members will be able to share their experience with you.

----

The early days are overwhelming and scary for all of us. I promise you it will get better as you learn more, and we'll do all we can to help you and your cat. I hope Webster feels much better very soon. cat_pet_icon

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

This is manageable. There is a learning curve, so take notes, read, re-read, and ask questions. There's always something new to learn too.

Ketones are formed when fat is broken down for energy. In the diabetic, this happens because not enough insulin was available to use the glucose generated from food. Too many ketones may result in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a potentially fatal complication of diabetes which can be expensive to treat.

I feed all 14 cats in my home Friskies pates (the diabetic doesn't get the mixed grill which is bit higher in carbohydrate). It gets put out twice a day and everyone nibbles until the next feeding time. This seems to work well for them; good weight, healthy coats, etc.

6. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi

Welcome to the forum. I only joined six weeks ago and I was a mess like you and devastated for my cat and what it would mean for me.

With the help and guidance of this forum I have got my kitty back to almost his old self and hope this improvement continues until he is as energetic as he ever used to be.

You have been getting great advice and I would make sure you spend time whilst your cat is at the vets to read through and print out the various links and stickies (at the top of each sub forum). I would also think about things you want to get in stock ready for when Webster comes home. You will want a good supply of syringes, a blood glucose monitor, lancets and plenty of test strips, the wet food you will transition Webster onto (don't rush this just add in 25 % new stuff each day), a kit to deal with any hypo incidents (this should include a high carb wet food or honey/karo/maple syrup)

The insulin you mention is great but it wants consistency. You need the dose to be the same and for it to be given 12 hours apart.

We are all here for you and want your cat to do well.

7. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Just wanted to add a food note here. Your vet may recommend Purina DM a prescription food. Save your money and don't buy it. My cat refused to eat it and I have seen a lot of posts here where other cats won't eat it either. I put it out for the local strays and they wouldn't even eat it.

A little extra food advice. Diabetic cats need to eat (another reason not to try the Purina DM) and sometimes they can lose their appetite. For those times there are a number of things you can try.
    1. Mix with warm water
    2. Sprinkle with a little grated parmesan cheese
    3. Mix a little baby food meat in with the food (make sure the food does not contain onion or garlic. I use Beech Nut Stage 1 meat). Baby food is not a complete nutritional source so it should only be used as needed to spark the appetite.
    4. Refrigerate the food prior to feeding can also help

You don't need to try to memorize all of these suggestions but I would advise getting a notebook. Write questions you have for your vet, notes for your observations, and notes about the information and suggestions you have encountered. We are 16 months into this journey and the notebook I began is still a valuable source of information for me and I update it frequently.

Lantus is a very good insulin to use. My cat Squeaker went into remission after two months on insulin and diet change. My suggestion here is to ask for the prescription to be written for the LantuaSoloStar pens. You will still need the syringes but with the pens. Call local pharmacies and check pricing before you get the scrip so you know who has the lowest price.

Anita and Squeaker

8. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

WOW. I'm surprised to see such a tremendous response overnight! Thank you everyone for the thorough responses. And yes, his name is Webster and he is my baby. :smile:

I'm feeling pretty good about using Lantus as long as it's working. I'll be calling the vet for an update today and perhaps stopping by for a visit.

My plan of attack is to spend the next 2 days reading and digesting all the information that I can. As phlika29 suggested, I will be spending today and tomorrow deciding what to buy and gathering these items. If you don't mind I have a couple more questions in response to all of your answers:

1. As for testing prior to injection, if the BG numbers are in normal range do you skip a dose? If they are extremely high do you give him a little extra? How do you react to the meter readings?

2. Is testing his urine with Ketodiastix for Ketones a must? I may be simplifying this a bit but it seems as if his BG readings are within normal range and he is alert and acting normal then he's probably okay? I ask because becoming accustom to feeding him on a schedule and giving insulin shots twice per day in addition to checking his BG levels is going to be a huge change for me. I can imagine that collecting his urine is going to be a huge challenge on top of everything else. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make him better but would also like to lighten the stress load on myself. If this is a must, how often should I be checking?

3. Will my vet provide the insulin and syringes for a week or so? I don't mind paying a large markup at the vets office just to have these supplies on hand to start but do plan to shop around for quality supplies at a reasonable price. Where do you guys get your Lantus? How about syringes?

4. Should I stop by and see my cat in the hospital? I'm having a difficult time composing myself just thinking about him. I don't know if I want to see him in his current condition all hooked up to tubes and laying there.

Thank you everyone once again. I'm glad to see all of this great information online an this awesome message board which has already proven to be helpful.

9. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I just checked out the Lantus solo star pen. It seems to make the processes easier to handle. Will have to consider.

10. phlika29

This is a great link for lantus users. It talks about handling and storage etc

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

With the bar will in the world it is unlikely that you will get Webster regulated from day 1 and do the ketone strips are a must. They are cheap in the scheme of things and I would say vitally important.

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Good Morning and Welcome to the best place on the web you never wanted to be but are so blessed to have found!!

You have now entered the world of being the proud parent of a Sugar Cat!! Congrats!

Okay that should be enough to have you thinking I'm completely nuts..lol But seriously, this might not seem like it now, but the news you just got is SO MUCH BETTER than it could have been. Think of all the other things that could have been wrong with Webster. Diabetes is a drop in the bucket and actually pretty stinking easy to manage once you and Webster find your groove.

Your head is probably already swimming with information overload and you've gotten a ton of great advice already so I'm not going to compound the problem.

It sounds like your baby is right where he needs to be right now as it sounds like he was in DKA. And there is no better place right now for him than in a hospital where they can give him iv insulin and flush those ketones out. So while they worry about Webster lets get you ready for when he comes home.

What you are going to need to welcome your furry buddy back home is:

A human meter Walmart has a great one that is inexpensive and does a great job..The Relion Micro or the Confirm both take the same strips just the size of the meter itself is different. I love my Micro.

You'll need strips to fit the meter I suggest in the beginning get about 100 strips I know that sounds like a lot, but in the beginning you will waste a lot, due to operator error..and you will want to test a lot in the beginning as well until you get the hang of how the insulin works in Webster's body. So stock up, nothing is worse than needing to grab a test and realizing your down to your last strip and just wasted that strip because something messed up, its the middle of the night and you're already ready for bed.

Then you are going to need a box of lancets and a lancing device to fit them or you can just learn to test free hand and skip the device. The device is nice if you are scared to poke, but I seldom use mine anymore its quicker and easier now to just free hand it...different strokes for different folks.

Since it sounds like your little fellow is in DKA testing for Ketones is going to be important, once they have gone into DKA the are more prone to developing ketones so you want to stay on top of that. Most use the Ketostixs that you will find right there with the meters and other human diabetic supplies. These you just stalk Webster to the litter tray and when he piddles you stick it either in the puddle or under his fanny to catch the urine. Then match the color on the strip to the color chart on the bottle.

After you have meter, test strips, & ketostixs comes syringes. Even if you are using the solostar pens you will need syringes because the pen only delivers insulin in whole units cats normally don't take whole units they take half units, 3/4 units 1.25 units etc. The pen just saves you from throwing out a lot of unused insulin because they are for our purposes just smaller vials. So you can use one up before you open the next.

In syringes you want 3/10 cc 31 gauge with half unit marks and I personally like short needles but they come in long or short needles. I like the short needles because my girl is fluffy and I can insert the whole needle without fear of hitting muscle. Again long or short is a personal preference.

okay that is all the medical stuff

Next is a rice sock, just take an old thinnish cotton sock, put 1/4 cup of plain uncooked white rice in the toe and knot. Now when you go to test you baby boy, warm that up in the microwave for about 15 seconds until toasty warm but not hot, and give him a nice rub down while holding it to his ear a few seconds...warm ears bleed better than cold ones.

A little neosporin with pain relief, a good flashlight or other light source for testing near, and some tasty low carb treats and your all set to begin this wonderful new adventure with your best bud.

I will tell you this is scary and extremely frustrating at times until you find your groove, bit I also can tell you the rewards are like nothing you have ever experienced with a cat before. We call it a dance for a reason. Like learning any new dance, you are going to feel like you have two left feet, you are going to trip over yourself, and dissolve into tears of frustration but with practice and the help from the lovely folks here, before you know it, you will be gliding across the dance floor with grace.

How do I know? Because my friend I've been doing it for 4+ years. With now 5 different sugar cats. My very first is waiting at the Bridge, but when she left me I turned around an adopted 4 more. One also left for the Bridge but because of cancer not diabetes, but my other 3 Maxwell just celebrated 4 years insulin free, Cassanova was in remission until he got silly and got hurt and needed steroids to help him heal so hopefully once he is better he will go right back to insulin free again and my last my Avatar is Autumn, she will more than likely be insulin dependent for life, but who cares she is still a happy, healthy and cuddly girl. Now okay so I have adopted diabetics, well would you be surprised if I also told you have 13 non-diabetic cats? I do, and if this was a tough disease to treat I can tell you I certainly wouldn't have volunteered to do it all over again multiple times. Not with a small zoo of healthy and happy fur babies already here, but it is easy and it can be slightly addictive as well. Because there is such a special bond that grows between a sugar cat and their person that no other cat can match. You stop being owner and pet and become partners.

Again Welcome to the FDMB family...There are no stupid questions here, except the one that goes unasked

Mel and The Fur Gang

12. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for the information. I just read over it and watched the video. Still trying to digest. :YMSIGH:

13. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

It's A LOT To take in and believe me, it's been a year for me and I'm still learning!!! But this is the best place to be to help your cat and yourself.

Welcome, take a deep breath & we are all here to support you!

14. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you for all of the detailed information. I will be heading to Walmart this afternoon to do some shopping and pick up all of the mentioned items.

It's encouraging to hear about all of you cats. You seem to be a wonderful person.

15. phlika29

Another thing which will really help you and other members of the board to track the progress of your cat is to set up a google spreadsheet which you then link in your signature

Here is the link that tells you how to do it

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50130.

Again I would get this all set up as soon as you can.

I would also print out this sheet about dealing with low blood glucose as a result of insulin:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

Sorry to overwhelm you with info but if you are like me you will want to read as much as possible in the first few days to try and get your head around things

16. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am a newbie as well. My kitty been on insulin just four weeks. I have learned so much on here in that time and much more than the vet ever told me. Know that you can trust the info here. It's so overwhelming at first but in just a few weeks you will feel much more confident.

A spreadsheet is a good thing to set up. Please someone pop in with the link as I can't find it. This way, people can see your dosing and testing and be able to advise you better. I'd suggest asking the old timers for advice - MommyofMuse, anyone whose name is in green text, etc. they have tonnes of experience.

Us newbies can cry with you and encourage you that just a few steps from where you are, you will be supporting another newbie.

Juliet and Silver

17. phlika29

Hi Juliet. I posted the link to the spread sheet just above you. You were probably writing your post whilst I did mine :D

It's in the technical section.

18. Critter Mom

She certainly is! A true rara avis. And they broke the mould straight after they made her. :D

19. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

I agree. Feeling in competent hands.

20. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for the information on setting up the spreadsheet. I believe that mine is set up correctly.

Now, to figure out what all of this means...

21. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Oh you'll catch on quick. I have only had mine up a week - initially you will find yourself in the reds and pinks, maybe even blacks. A cat without diabetes would be in the greens. I am still in pinks and reds aiming for blues and yellows. Lol is that ever confusing.

Plot some data into the spreadsheet and hit refresh you will see.

If you can maybe update your signature - ie where are you - in US? Name of you and your kitty?
    And then when you get him home - what you are feeding and what insulin you are using etc.

Take a look at some other signatures and you'll get the idea.
    Juliet

22. Critter Mom

Spreadsheet's visible. You're doing great! :D

ETA:

While Webster's being looked after by your vets, try to eat properly and get as much sleep as you can before he comes home. A wee battery recharge will help you enormously during the early days while you're both settling in to the new routine. (Forgive me if you're already doing so. I have a very dominant Ma Hen gene :oops: )

23. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks. I updated my signature a bit and even uploaded a healthier and younger photo of him.

24. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks! I'm trying my hardest keep up with my health.

25. Critter Mom

Webster's gorgeous! cat_pet_icon

26. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

beautiful kitty. a black & white just like my baby.

27. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Ditto....please keep us posted as to his progress.

Juliet

28. MommaOfMuse

Oh Webster you are going to have all the girls swooning over you. You are so Handsome!

Now I might have missed it, but what do we call you? Besides the obvious of Webster's Servant or Webster's Dad?

We really are a friendly bunch here and we promise never to bite, well okay not hard. So could we please have a name to call you by as well?

You are doing a Great job getting everything set up. Give yourself a pat on the back, you've earned it.

One thing I was going to suggest is while your little guy is in the hospital you might want to take him a shirt or pillow case that smells like you and home for them to put in the kennel with him. That way he can still smell you and know you are going to come back for him, not like he would ever doubt that, but you know when you get sick you like things around you that feels like home. And so does he. Also when you can, go visit him, take him tasty treats if your vet says its okay. And just try not to worry too much right now. But visits will make you both feel better. Nothing makes a sick baby fight harder to recover than knowing their person is ready to fight with them. He's just as scared as you are right now, not because he knows he has diabetes but because he knows he's not home with the one person that he looks to to fix things.

Mel and The Fur Gang

29. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks everyone. Yes, he is handsome indeed with a HUGE bushy tail.

I'm Mike BTW. Thanks for the shirt suggestion. I can see how this will be helpful. I'm however still not sure if I can handle seeing him in such conditions. Will keep everyone updated.

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just in case it isn't clear!

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

31. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for the explanation.

I plan to use the WalMart Relion meter when I have my cat back home. What numbers should I be writing in my spreadsheet? The number that appears on the meter or a converted number (AlphaTrak). Thanks.

32. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

The number from the glucometer.

If you don't feel up to seeing Webster give the shirt to the vet for him?
    Juliet

33. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Mel mentioned going to the hospital and bringing "treats" if it is ok with your vet. So along with food, there are also special treats that you will want to get for the diabetic cat. I or I guess Merlin's personal favorites are Pure Bites and Simply Nourishing freeze dried chicken and duck. I buy them at PetsMart, PetCo and Pet Club. I also go to the dog section and buy them in bigger bags. For some reason, the dog freeze dried bits are cheaper than the kitty package. The only thing you have to do is break them up to little kitty bite size pieces. Anyway, here is a link for other good treats for the diabetic cat: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

34. Critter Mom

You may surprise yourself. It shines out of your words how much Webster means to you. I won't lie to you: it's really hard to see our little ones poorly, but the desire to care for and comfort them swamps everything else.

You're not alone with this, OK Mike? We're all here to help you both get through this.

35. MommaOfMuse

Mike

Look to the right. See that beautiful face peering at you as my avatar? She didn't always look that way. The first time I saw her in the flesh I broke down bawling my eyes out for her. Her name is Autumn, I adopted her after her previous owner left her untreated for nearly a year after learning she was diabetic.

She's a big girl, most likely a Maine Coon mix. When we laid eyes on each other she didn't even weigh 5 lbs. She had moderate ketones, and by the grace of God didn't go into DKA. And so matted I could find a place to reach skin to give her first shot. When I shaved off the mats they were full of dead beetles, burrs and whole kernels of seed corn. They had also twisted her skin and caused quarter size holes all over her body. And was so dehydrated she had shoe leather for ears.

That was two years ago. Today she's a sassy, loving if ancient 18 year old beauty. She rules over my younger cats. And she tips the scales at a healthy 12 lbs.

They look awful in the beginning, they break our hearts to look at them. But they are resilient creatures. And they do recover. If my Autumn can recover as bad as she was your Webster will too.

You will never be alone again in this. You're family now. We will laugh with you, we'll cry with you and we'll cheer every victory no matter how small. And right now there are so many people here praying for your little guy and just as worried as you are. The moment you made your first post. Webster went from your cat to our cat. And we will worry like he was one of our own beloved babies.

Mel and The Fur Gang

36. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Mike, it may not be easy to see him, but just remember how much it will mean to Webster to see you. cat_pet_icon The more often he can see you will help give him the strength to try to get better. It is very obvious how much you love Webster and he loves you too.

You have the power of prayer on this board and we are all praying for Webster to get better.

37. Likameow

Likameow Member

I really can't add much to what people have already told you. We've all been where you are at right now, overwhelmed, crying over a furbaby. It's okay to feel overwhelmed. There's a lot of information out there. It does settle down after that initial information overload. You'll get better at handling the sugar dance. And this is a fantastic group of people who will support you and Webster every step on the way.

38. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you for the kind words.

39. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

A beautiful cat indeed. Great to know that there are people like you out there.

As for me, I'm going to drop by tomorrow and see my buddy. :-|

40. Critter Mom

He'll be so pleased to see you! Even if he still looks poorly, you'll just know it from him. :smile:

Please pass on some scritches to Webster from Saoirse and me. cat_pet_icon

41. JuJu09

JuJu09 Member

Mike

I would like to share this with you, as it's spot on. This is from my intro condo (thread)...

The people here at FDMB are amazing. They truly do care.

My story is very similar to yours. I woke up one day and Junior(JuJu) was laying in a pile of vomit. It was heartbreaking. He spent a week in the hospital under 24hr care. I went to see him EVERY DAY, sometimes twice a day. Did I choke up every time, yes. However, it was only for a minute because he would immediately cheer me up by talking to me or giving headbutts. He absolutely knew his daddy had come to see him. The nurses said he didn't eat well for them but he ate like a champ for me. :smile: They told me every time I would leave that he would watch me walk away. That sounds tough but he knew I was coming back. I also took him his favorite blankie. I would caution you to wash whatever you take him before bringing it back into your home, though. I'm 99% sure his brought fleas back from the hospital.

JuJu, like most cats, LOVES boxes. With everything that was going on, I didn't originally think to ask the nurses if they could put one in his cage. So, one night before visiting I asked them to and they did. They immediately let me know when I got there that they had moved him from ICU to inpatient. They said he had been hiding in his box most of the night. They pointed to where he was. Because of the box, he couldn't see me yet. I decided to see how good he was really feeling. I did his call, JuJu! JuJu! (sounds more like ch-chew ch-chew because I say it fast). Mike, he immediately jumped out of the box and looked towards the sound of my voice. That was the best I felt since the DKA started. I'm willing to bet it was the best he felt, too. I just wanted to share this with you to encourage you to visit Webster every chance you get. It absolutely helps the healing process for you both.

I've only been here for a little over a week but with the help of the FDMB members I've become much more comfortable and confident that I can absolutely handle Feline Diabetes. Be sure to communicate with your vet. Don't be afraid to ask questions and voice any concerns you have with them. I know there is a disclosure on one of the pages here that states that the info found here is not meant to replace the advice of your vet, and I agree, you should absolutely listen to your vet. Having said that, when it comes to FD I feel that the true pros are right here on this forum.

When Webster comes home you'll want to start a condo in viewforum.php?f=9
    It's the LTR ISG. You'll meet some more wonderful people there. In the meantime you can review the sticky's there.

We all wish Webster a speedy recovery.

Hugs and Headbutts,
    Matt, Ava, JuJu and KiKi.

42. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Would it not be better to start posting in the Relaxed forum first? Good to listen to your vet but they can be wrong! My vet wanted me to double his dose which would have been unsafe.

43. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are 2 protocols for using Lantus:

The Lantus Tight Regulation forum members mainly follow the Tight Regulation protocol.

And there is the Relaxed forum for the Start Low, Go Slow.

Because of the DKA, I suspect you're going to want to get him as stable as fast as you can; the Tight Regulation protocol may help you do that more quickly.

Regardless of forum, regular testing will help you see how he is responding to the insulin.

Note: there is a blood ketone meter called the Nova Max. It is expensive, the test strips are expensive, but the accuracy of a blood test vs the urine test may make that worth it. You can order it from ADW through our SHOP link at the top of the page, or may find it locally.

44. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for sharing your story Matt.

My wife and I just came back from the animal hospital for a visit. The thought of seeing him in distress was very difficult to overcome but when I saw him I suddenly started feeling better knowing that he was still alive and alert. When we first saw him he started with a shivering purr which eventually turned into a heavy purr. While still appearing sick, he was surely more active in comparison to a couple days ago when he was laying basically limp.

He gave me a couple kisses and squinted his eyes. This was great to see. We then left him with a freshly worn t-shirt. :smile:

As for his health, I am told that they are trying to force feed him because he is not eating. They are continuing to give him fluids although he is still dehydrated. His Ketone levels are still on this high side and he hasn't pooped yet although he's peeing a lot. His inner eyelids were open at first but closed slightly as things got quiet in the visiting room. Nonetheless, his eyes still looked better overall.

On the brighter side his glucose was at 200 before receiving insulin this morning. I suppose this is good although it will fluctuate from what I understand. I'm also told that he hissed at the vet, indicating a higher level of energy and alertness. This is a rare occurrence as I've only heard him hiss twice in the presence of children.

They are hoping that he will be released by Saturday, if not he will have to be transferred to another hospital that is open on Sunday.

Today's visit gave me a glimmer of hope that he is going to pull through and I can have him back home and start treating his diabetes.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to visit him. It was a great experience. Now, back to learning.

45. phlika29

That's great news. I am glad you went and am sure Webster was too :D

I think if your cat is coming home on Saturday you will want to make sure that he is eating properly. You may like to speak to your vet about having a small stock of anti nausea medication such as ondansetron.

Do you know what food they are feeding Webster. Is it wet food?

46. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I'm not sure what type of food they are feeding him although I noticed that it was watered down wet food.

When I initially took him in on Monday they gave me a can of Purina AD to take home. That may have been what they are trying to feed him but I'm not at all sure.

47. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I took a look at the link. Condo? What exactly does this mean? Is this where you simply post your cats daily BG levels to share and keep everyone updated while listening to feedback?

48. MommaOfMuse

You got it! It's just our name for the daily thread for each cat. As in Kitty Condo those round scratching post cubby hole bed things that cats adore... :lol:

We have all kinds of silly names for things around here, because while we take this disease and caring for our furkids very seriously, we also know that you have to laugh before you cry sometimes just to get through the stress.

Some of the more common ones you'll see are:

Drooler=dog because cats rule, dogs drool
    Alien = new kitten or kittens in general
    DH = Dear Husband, also Dumb Husband, Dang Husband or D@mn Husband depending on content...lol
    and the cooresponding DW =Dear Wife etc

Then on the ISG where I moderate Relaxed Lantus

Our cats are having picnics on the lawn when their numbers are in double digits
    Swimming in the lagoon if their numbers are in the 100's
    Sunning or working on their tans if their numbers are in the 200's
    And wearing tutus and practicing their ballet/dance moves if in the 300's

You will also see the 5P's a lot which are: Peeing, Pooping, Playing, Purring and Preening which is just a short hand way of asking if they are back to doing normal cat stuff.

Mel and The Fur Gang

49. JuJu09

JuJu09 Member

Exactly!

A Condo is what they call a "thread" here. I'm still not sure why but I decided it's not really important, so I didn't ask.

*Edit: I was posting at the same time as MommaOfMuse. Now that I know why they call it a Condo, I guess it is important. :smile:

50. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Ah, thank you.

DH/DW - Sort of reminds me of phrase commonly spoken at another forum that I occasionally visit: SWMBO or She Who Must Be Obeyed :mrgreen:

51. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Very helpful - I was seriously wondering what the tutus and ballet was all about. Hmmm, I don't think Silver will like it if I tell him but he is wearing a tutu and practicing ballet these days!

Juliet

52. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

A couple more phrases that you may see:

OTJ (Off the Juice) and visiting the Falls. Both mean the cat's diabetes is diet controlled and no insulin
    Civie - non-diabetic cat in the household

53. Critter Mom

Hi Mike,

In addition to the anti-nausea meds, it might be worth talking with your vet about an appetite stimulant. Two are commonly used in veterinary practice. Cyproheptadine is an anti-histamine and is relatively gentle in action although it can be sedating and can lower mood somewhat (it's a serotonin antagonist). A tiny dose of cyproheptadine goes a long way. Mirtazapine seems to be stronger - a cat may even become crazed with hunger - but it does carry the risk of serotonin syndrome (a potentially life-threatening condition). I don't know how the DKA might affect Felix's suitability for these Rx meds. I am sure your vet will be able to advise you.

It was heartwarming to read about your visit with Webster today. You will have reassured him so much and I was glad to hear that you found it a positive experience. Try not to be too disheartened while he's poorly: over the past few months I have been astounded to discover the recoveries that cats are capable of once they get the help that they need (Including my own Saoirse). You're getting Webster the help he needs, and hopefully he will be back home safe with you very soon. cat_pet_icon :smile:

54. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Webster's condition seems to be improving. I am told that he took a poop (first time in over a week), is grooming himself, and is hissing nicely for the vet :eek: (once again, very unusual for him to do but I'm told it's a good sign. I'm about to drop by and visit him and maybe, just maybe take him home tonight :D . I was unable to speak with the vet about his BG, Hydration, and Ketone levels because she has been in emergency surgery. I suppose I'll find out in just a few minutes when I visit him.

In the meantime I have been reading over everyone's comments as well as 100's of other pages on the web. Here is the shopping list that I came up with (thanks to you guys)

-ReliOn Micro Blood Glucose Monitor
    -ReliOn Confirm/micro Blood Glucose Test Strips 100 count
    -ReliOn 30G Ultra Thin Lancets 100ct 30G or 33G
    -Lancet device
    -Ketostixs
    -Syringes 3/10 cc 31 gauge with half unit marks (long/short)
    - Lantus Vial $244.73 Pens $349.77 (Price matched to Kmart) WM $288.02, $432.03
    -Glucose/honey for hypo emergency kit
    -Emergency can of high carb food
    -Syringe for feeding glucose or food
    -low carb treats (From suggested list on FDMB)
    -Food (discuss with vet)

Just a couple last minuite questions before I go shopping:

1. Needles - short vs long? I hear it's a preference but I never used either so I have no way of comparing the two. Which should I choose?
    2. Lancets - 30G or 33G? What are you guys using
    3. I plan to ask for the Lantus pens and using them as vials to avoid wasting expired/bad insulin. I'm I doing the right thing by asking for a pen prescription?
    4. As for food I do plan on discussing this with the vet. I looked over Dr. Pierson's list viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87391 and noticed that it mentioned "FKD cats need under 250 phosphorus". Those who have cats with FKD, which one's on this list (under 250 of course) does your cat prefer? I need something tasty that will get him eating again.
    5. Keeping a few packets of honey in the hypo kit - will this suffice as a good sugar source or should I pick up liquid glucose in diabetes section for better results?

Thanks once again everyone.

UPDATE: I just came back from visiting Webster. He was alert and curiously exploring the exam room and purred loudly when I pet him. They have been force feeding him and asked to me to bring in his normal food. I brought him "Special Kitty" (won't be feeding him that anymore of course) and "Temptation" salmon flavor treats (no more of these either) which he has never been able to resist. He wolfed down 5 temptation treats without hesitation and I was able to sneak in a couple pieces of his regular food. He could easily tell the difference between the two and always chose the treat over his regular food.

They are going to hold him for tonight and we may get him back tomorrow if all goes well with eating.

55. MommaOfMuse

Since his is a long haired fellow like my Autumn you might find the short needles a little easier to handle, I sure did. I started with long, but because she is such a fluff ball I was never sure if I was hitting skin or not. With the short, I know even if I go all the way in I'm not hitting muscle. With long you can go too deep and tag the muscle.

Another trick for our long haired beauties in the beginning is to ask the vet to shave a couple spots for you so you can see what your shooting, Yeah it gives them a funny do for awhile but they get over it and by the time it's grown back in you'll be an old pro at shots.

With lancets the smaller the number the bigger the hole they make so you want the smallest number you can find when starting out, once his ears learn to bleed better then you can go down in size. If you can see if you can find 28 or even 29 gauge, usually marked as for alternative site testing if they don't have the actual gauge number on the box. Otherwise 30 gauge is better than 33. Yes, his ears will learn to bleed. After 2 years of testing Autumn I think I can just about show her the lancet and her ear starts to give blood...lol

Honey is fine for the hypo kit, nice thing about honey is that it never goes bad. So even if you never have to use it (and we pray you don't) it will always be good on toast. :D

Pens while more expensive upfront work out far cheaper in the long run. So yes, get the script for pens.

Can't answer on the food as all of mine have no kidney issues so here it is just good old Friskies pate.

Good luck on your shopping trip and your visit with your boy, hope he is back in your arms and home next time I see an update from you.

Best Wishes
    Mel and The Fur Gang

56. Critter Mom

You're doing famously, Mike! And I'm so pleased to read about the wonderful progress Webster's making. It will be wonderful for you both when he gets home. cat_pet_icon

I don't know whether you've found Tanya's site yet. It's a goldmine of information for kitties with renal issues (and other health problems). I've posted a link to the page on diet and nutrition below.

Tanya's Site - Diet and Nutrition

57. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go with your advice and get the shorts as well as a larger gauge lancet.

I mentioned to the vet about writing a prescription for the Lantus pens which I plan to use as vials. The vets response was that they were more expensive (which they are up front) but when I did the math it was about $.01 less per dose with the pens (not a big deal at all) but most importantly I will not have any expired waste left over if I can't use a 10ml vial in 6 months. Assuming 2 units per day, one every 12 hours, that 365 doses in 6 months or less than half a 10ml vial. This means that I would likely have to toss the other 635 doses at around 6 months? Am I looking a this correctly? If so, I hope that she will write the prescription out for the pens.

I hope so too. We will find out tomorrow.

58. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Will look over. Thank you.

59. Critter Mom

You're right about the pens. Less waste. I believe some places in the US will sell single pen cartridges, and also I think it can be cheaper to buy from Canadian pharmacies. There's a sticky at the top of this board about the Canadian option.

60. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Canadian pharmacies definitely cheaper. My vial was only $77 Canadian $ so less for you in US $. I need to find out about pens.

61. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1 pen is 3 mL
    1 mL is 100 units (U-100 means this)
    therefore, 3 mL is 300 units
    At 1 unit twice a day, that is 150 days
    At 2 units twice a day, that is 75 days

And so on.

62. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

I'm a newbie here too. I wanted to let you know that many pharmacies will give you a discount on Lantis with a AAA membership card. It's a not a huge discount, but it's something. I'm glad Webster is improving, and I hope he'll be home very soon.

Mary and Mikey

63. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Wow you've asked all the right questions and have received all kinds of valuable information. I think you're all set once you get Webster home. You'll have his diabetes controlled in no time, hang in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.