Overwhelmed....going to use Lantus for the first time tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra and Yoyo, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

• Tomorrow will be the first time using Lantus. The syringes I received from the pharmacist are very tiny and VERY hard to read. I am to give Yoyo 1 unit to 1.5 units. I cannot see a 1/2 line because there isn't any. The pharmacy told me this brand, BD, is the only one they sell. Can you please tell me which company has a better syringe and one that I can actually read! It is scary and I don't want to make a mistake with his dosage.
    • Also, is there anything I should watch out for tomorrow. I will keep checking his BG but I still have fear. Does the BG levels drop a lot or fast?
    Anything that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It will be ok. Do you live in the United States?

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

You'll do fine

Insulin syringes are really tiny but you'll get use to them, you can buy a pair of reading glasses (even if you do not need them) to use as magnifying glass, that way you can see the marks better and have your hands free.

Does your syringes have the half unit marks? if not try and get the ones with half unit marks because they will simplify dosing a lot. BD is the ones I use because they are the only ones I can get where I live with half unit marks on them and they have worked just fine for me, but if you live in the US there are some other brands.

Test before you shoot and if you can two hours after you shoot that way you can see how he's reacting and go from there, is hard to know how fast he's going to drop or maybe specially the first day he could not drop at all (each cat is different) and he could start dropping when the depot forms you will have to learn how he reacts.

Have your hypo kit ready (http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/) odds are you won't need it but is better to be prepared and remember that the take action with the Alpha track is 68

In any case post your results in the forum, since you are going to be using Lantus post in the lantus forum where there's a lot of people that can help you this is the link (http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/)

Also remember that Lantus requires consistency so you will hold the 1 unit dose at least for one week because you are just starting, unless he goes under 90 because then you will have to lower the dose in 0.25 units in which case you can post on the forum and ask what to do.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

All these syringes have half unit markings (very important when you're doing microdosing) and are the correct syringes for U100 insulin and are available from ADW online:
    UtiCare
    Monoject
    Carepoint
    Sure Comfort
    B/D

They're also available at WalMart if you have one near you. Their Relion brand 3/10ml, 31 gauge, 6mm insulin syringes all come with half unit markings and are only $12.58 for a box of 100 (although a lot of them don't realize they DO come with half unit markings!)

5. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.