Oyster and me

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kallima_butterfly, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

Just a quick hello to introduce myself. My name is Marcy. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 rabbits and fish. Love them all to pieces. My oldest cat Oyster was diagnosed a week before Christmas as diabetic. He is currently 16. The vet has put him on Purina d/m wet food which he hates and I have changed him to Fancy Feast Classics. The vet gave me 29 gauge 40 syringes but I now use I use BD Ultrafine 31 gauge needles with 8mm (15/64") and 2 units of Caninsulin at the 40U (which I've balanced out to 5 units using the u100 needle that I use)He's been tested only once so far (Christmas Eve) and his numbers were still reading extremely high. I will be purchasing a glucose meter and doing a curve on him at home I believe. I am also seriously considering switching insulin to Lantus or Levemir. What a learning curve I am on. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Let me check something here:
    U-100 means 100 units per mL
    U-40 means 40 units per mL
    If you use a U-40 insulin with a U-100 syringe, you must MULTIPLY the mark on the U-100 syringe by 0.4, as Caninsulin is only 40% of the concentration intended for that syringe.
    0.4 * 0.5 = 0.2 units Caninsulin
    0.4 * 1.0 = 0.4 units Caninsulin
    0.4 * 1.5 = 0.6 units Caninsulin
    0.4 * 2.0 = 0.8 units Caninsulin
    0.4 * 2.5 = 1.0 units Caninsulin

kallima_butterfly likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We generally find Caninsulin has a somewhat harsh effect on feline glucose levels and may not last a full 12 hours in the cat, which has a more rapid metabolism than a dog (for which this insulin was designed).
    ProZinc, and BCP PZI are non-depot insulins which tend to last 12 hours.
    Lantus and Levemir are depot insulins which tend to last a bit more than 12 hours; the overlap helps smooth the glucose control.

4. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

.I used the conversion chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm which someone sent me when they suggested I move over to a finer needle. :
    So I think its right right? he was originally at 2 units of Caninsulin and that would make the mark on the U-100 to be 5 right? (0.4*5.0 = 2 units of Canisulin)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    KPassa likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Oh good, you got the conversion chart; that's what I wanted to be sure of! You're doing it correctly; I just needed to verify that.

If your vet is familiar with how Caninsulin/Vetsulin (same thing) works, he'll understand somewhat how ProZinc and BCP PZI work, as all are what we call in and out insulins, which seldom have any carry over effects, unless dosed every 8 hours (TID).
    It takes a bit of study to comprehend that the depot insulins, Lantus and Levemir, have carry over effects and you must be pretty religious about shooting the same dose, every 12 hours, because doing otherwise will give you very erratic numbers.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Marcy and welcome to the FDMB. Take a deep breath, now take another one. We've all been where you are now and understand how stressful this can be. We'll help all we can to help you manage the diabetes and get Oyster feeling better.

Now that you have introduced yourself, why don't you start a new post on the Feline Health forum with any questions you may have.

7. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

Thanks BJM! I almost though I might be overdosing. Glad everyone looks out for everyone here! Already done Deb! Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.