Pain Management for Arthritis - Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I mentioned before in the diabetes section about Harley's arthritis but tonight he seems to be having a little more pain than usual. I think it has something to do with the weather outside. It is humid and cold. I assume it affects cat's like it does me and certain weather conditions hurt me worse than others.
    The vet originally prescribed Harley metacam but after reading some info on it I am scared to give it to him. A few days ago someone mentioned adequan and I think they said it was an injectible.
    Are there other medications I might use for Harley that will help his pain but not make him worse in other ways?

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Adequan is injectible. If you want to avoid injections, you can try a joint supplement. Cosequin is an OTC glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that comes in capsules. You open the capsule and sprinkle over food. Dasequin is similar, but adds MSM. There are many, many others. Angus was on Cosequin only for about a year and it did help. However, adding the Adequan has been much better.

If you are interested in homeopathic remedies, you can try Traumeel, http://www.entirelypets.com/hetrordr50ml.html. It did not work well for Angus.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Adequan and Cosequin will not really help with pain but will help the arthritis. Desiquin, made by the same company as Cosequin would be a better choice since it has an added ingredient to help with the inflammation caused by the arthritis. Regarding pain meds, Buprenex would be a good choice.

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn't go with Metacam, either! The other suggestions are all good. With veterinary permission, you may want to try 1/4 baby aspirin every 3 or 4 days. That's if the other other solutions don't work. It takes about 3 days for a cat to clear ASA from her system, so that's why it can't be daily, and can only be tiny amounts.

In addition to that, try putting a heating pad (on low, and wrapped in towels!!) or snuggle disk in his bed. That really helped my old guys with their arthritis - the heat kept them from stiffening up too much while they slept.

Fish oil supplements (halibut, especially) have been helpful to several humans I know with arthritis - may also help Harley.

5. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Flame has broken his left rear hock joint twice and the joint is now very arthritic.
    He used to get Cosequin daily and I've recently switched to Dasuquin... these were mentioned above.

In addition to the other suggestions, I have also used a homeopathic anti-inflammatory made by Heel. I have used the Traumeel with good success with Flame. Heel also makes another product called Zeel which is formulated particularly for arthritis.

In addition, a good quality fish oil might help. My cats are picky about taking fish oil in their food because of the smell, I think. I finally found one on OnlyNaturalPet.com that is nearly odor free. It is their Pure Icelandic Salmon Oil. So far, this is the only one my cats will tolerate.

He has not been on any prescription pain meds because using the above regimen, he has not needed them, so I can't speak to Adequan or anything as I've not used them.

Hope this helps.

6. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I have used Buprenex and it was good choice. Some kitties are a little more dopey on it than others, but you will just have to see.

7. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I wouldn't use the metacam either except as a last resort. My understanding of arthritis treatment is to treat the actual arthritis and the pain diminishes and I see that several others have recommended the cosequin and other arthritis meds. Reduce the inflammation generally means reduce the pain.

I would not use buprenex to treat arthritis pain and I doubt that your vet would prescribe it for that. Bupe is a morphine derivative and not meant for management of pain from conditions like arthritis.

Hopefully you can get Harley some relief.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

9. deb and the boys

deb and the boys Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.