PAIN Med question: Torb, Buprenex or Tramadol?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Shiloh (GA), Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

These are the meds I have. Bupe is injection, the others pills. The AC said Kaely has pain, and I want to get her comfy. I think the Tram made her act funny, but I can't remember. The doses are: Bupe 0.3ml q12h (0.3mg/ml), Torb 1 mg q12h, and Tramadol 12.5mg q12h. Which is the best one to use, and is the dose enough to control pain? These were all ordered for Kaely at one time. She is 12 pounds. Thanks so much. Donna

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

i've read that torb sedates more than it alleviates pain, and an animal could be in pain while still sedated. maybe the vet techs will weigh in on this.

my preference would be buprenex, only because that's the only one i have experience with. iirc cagney had tramadol for her pancreatitis flare last year, and it worked for her. re: buprenex, i think there's a bit of room to raise, from the dose you wrote, but your dose may work well enough - probably a good idea to consult her vet if you'd like to raise it higher. you'll probably want to observe how it affects her first - some kitties get zonked on much less than their max dose. also, it may be constipating (or not, ECID) if given over a longer period.

oh, and you can give buprenex as frequently as every 8 hours.

(((kaely))) (((donna)))

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

hi donna,

I agree with CF -- re bup is best.

we used oral buprenex w/ great success for both winnie and wolfie. given kaely's situation probably shot would be better.

when researching pain med for p-titis. torb was not recommended at all.
    I used tramadol on a dog ( and have taken myself) found it to be rather worthless. and too many side effects.
    ECID. ( ok there was no cat in my experience lol I wouldn't use it on winnie or wolf tho cause of what happened w/ the dog. but if helped cagney.... something to keep as plan B if bup doesn't agree w/ her?)

with oral bup we sometimes dosed as freq as every 6hrs per my vet. no experience with the injectable.
    i defer to CF on that !

(((((((((( donna & Kaely )))))

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I haven't used two of them but I have used bupe and Shadoe loves it. Shadoe hates meds and pills and capsules and absolutely despises the Codeine transdermal gel I got for rubbing on the inside of her ear flaps, but she does not mind the oral bupe one teeny little bit.
    Actually there must be a smell because she sits very still to get a bit into her cheek pocket.
    In our world, bupe is the best!

I have even convince my vet office to stock it regularly because they were not before. They always have that codeine gel, but it's just not good enough for p-itits, so they are going to stock it now.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Donna

I just saw your post on Community, I'm so sorry to hear this news.

I agree with Cheryl and CF about the torb. I know some people here have had problems with their cats being too "high" on tramadol (yowling, etc.) but I did use it after a dental for Dillon and didn't have a problem. He was jumping around like a kitten so I know it made him feel better. Tramadol is terribly bitter, though, so I would be reluctant to use it in an animal who has a mouth issue as you may have more problems getting it in and down the hatch without her tasting it.

As for Buprenex, it is a good pain medication but can be expensive in the long-term, esp. if you are going to give it constantly. Also regarding the dose: it is one of those weird medications where a higher dose (after a certain dose level) lasts longer, not necessarily provides more pain relief i.e. high-dose Buprenex can last 12 hours providing the same pain relief that a lower dose would for 4-8 hours. I know, it makes no sense! So I would ask your vet about dosing intervals.

Lastly, I would speak to your vet about transdermal options. I know that a few veterinary dentists use transdermal codeine, and someone on the board used it after her cat's dental too. (Gayle just posted about using it in her cat as well.) There is also transdermal Buprenex, actually, but I don't know the associated expense as compared to SQ Buprenex (and if you can give it directly, why use transdermal unless it's much cheaper and easier). Now there are no studies showing that either of these work, but anecdotally they seem to (including causing the eyes to dilate, a sure sign of opioid drug absorption) and transdermal meds are definitely easier to administer in a cat with mouth issues. I would consider it and ask about prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.