? Pain med

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

My little girl is on cosequin and it helps but can tell she is still having trouble at times,so dr gave me some buprenophine for pain meds,anyone have tried this?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used buprenophine many times and it is an excellent pain med. However, buprenophine is expensive for long-term use. I use human gabapentin for my civi Moxie who has joint problems (I also use cosequin and Adequan shots too). I get the 100mg capsules and divide it in half and give 50mg BID.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I do not know about joint problems, my cat has pancreatitis and uses bupe every day. What I buy from my vet is from a compounding pharmacy, but if you get the injectable form of bupe and give with a syringe in the mouth it cost a lot more.

4. racn1320

racn1320 Member

thats what they gave me,syringe by mouth 0.15

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko was on buprenorphine long term. It was cheaper and tastier from the compounding pharmacy.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

adequan is amazing-my 20 and 21 year olds still jump on the couch and 4 flights of stairs :cat:
    (we started at 15 n 16 and gradually increased the time between shots as they age)

7. racn1320

racn1320 Member

is this a pill or a shot,i think id like to try this for her if possible??

8. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi
    Adequan is a shot most do sq ( just under the skin usually in scruff)
    It can be given intramuscular as well but the cat might not appreciate that

If the vet gives the shot each time they will likely charge you a significant amount more than it really costs. It comes in a five ML vial and should cost probably between 70 and $80
    Dosing goes by weight.

As far as I can tell over the years it has never caused any adverse reaction when injecting or afterwards other than good reactions
    :bighug:

racn1320 likes this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

How does this stuff work? Though the mechanism by which Adequan makes joints feel better isn’t well understood, its action is an anti-inflammatory, cartilage-protecting one. We believe it acts by inhibiting enzymes that break down the cartilage within joints and by increasing the thickness of joint fluid.

But that’s not enough to completely explain how it reduces inflammation. Given that Adequan also seems to work to reduce swelling in the bladder and help repair corneas, it’s clear there’s more going on with this drug than meets the eye (pardon the pun).

Though it’s not been approved for use in these conditions, and research to prove that this efficacy is more than anecdotal is still pending, feline veterinarians have been using it for the dreaded kitty condition known as interstitial cystitis (AKA, feline idiopathic cystitis), while horse vets in Brazil tested it out on indolent corneal ulcers and found that their patients' eye lesions healed much faster than their control subject counterparts.

10. racn1320

racn1320 Member

called vwt today to ask about this as they will get back to me later. can i use her bd insulin syringes to give her the shots or do i need to buy other syringes???

11. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi
    You can use insulin syringes but I use 1 ml syringe is because it’s easier to dose for me
    @Larry and Kitties can calculate it.
    Example
    Cat 10 pounds
    10x2=20
    Dose 0.2 on a 1 ml
    (I think it would be 20 units on a insulin syringe)

If weight is in between my vet always rounds up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. racn1320

racn1320 Member

my vet doesnt recommend this,high in sugar, recommends dasequin. anybody try this??? thx

13. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Yes!
    Nelli takes Bupe at least three times a week... I get it in the states at diamondback drugs compounded in a 10 ml bottle for 50 something dollars!T has lasted four months. It is the injectable, subQ... I cannot get any liquid squirted into Nelli mouth and throat :eek:
    The istransdermal not as effective. She is in 7th heaven- not for a few hours but for at least a day and a half
    Nelly gets both adequate and bupe for very bad arthritis. This combination works amazing, amazing!

14. Krystina & Nelli

Adequin is not high in sugar?!

racn1320 and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  15. Krystina & Nelli

Yes, I use Nelly's insulin syringes and she gets 15 units

16. jayla-n-Drevon

adequan is not high in sugar to my knowledge or experience. Dre has never spiked.... I have never heard of anyone mentioning sugar spikes or any negative reaction.
    it does come with preservatives or not
    usually horses get it without as they use it quickly-most small animal dogs (off label cat) with preservatives.... I personally use with no preservatives and after I draw the amount I change the needle.
    It is preference.

racn1320 and Krystina & Nelli like this.
  17. jayla-n-Drevon

In my experience Dre had BIG spikes on Dasaquan I had to take him off-
    never on adequan, maybe he misspoke ?

I think the glucosamine made him spike? not sure but he went really high.

Dasuquin for Cats is a joint health supplement that goes above and beyond other glucosamine supplements on the market. The most complete joint support supplement available, Dasuquin for Cats contains the trademarked ingredients FCHG49 Glucosamine, TRH12 Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, and NMX1000 Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables. Dasquin for Cats is available in a tasty, easy to administer capsule with natural chicken and tuna flavors. ASU is an ingredient obtained from avocados and soybeans that is used for joint health.

18. jayla-n-Drevon

Description
    The active ingredient in Adequan® Canine is polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (PSGAG). Polysulfated glycosaminoglycan is a semi-synthetic glycosaminoglycan prepared by extracting glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) from bovine tracheal cartilage. GAGs are polysaccharides composed of repeating disaccharide units. The GAG present in PSGAG is principally chondroitin sulfate containing 3 to 4 sulfate esters per disaccharide unit. The molecular weight for PSGAG used in the manufacture of Adequan®is 3,000 to 15,000 daltons. Each mL of Adequan® Canine contains 100 mg of PSGAG, 0.9% v/v benzyl alcohol as a preservative, and water for injection q.s. to 1 mL. Sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid added when necessary to adjust pH. The solution is clear, colorless to slightly yellow.

Every cat is different so it is not impossible but honestly watching my boys I am glad I took the chance-

19. jayla-n-Drevon

This is what 20 and 21 look like having used adequan since 15 and 16:)

[​IMG]
    Rico 21

[​IMG]
    Dre 20

20. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Fir some reason the images do not show

21. jayla-n-Drevon

Hm
    I will try again after work
    It’s odd ?

22. jayla-n-Drevon

23. jayla-n-Drevon

does it show now?

Krystina & Nelli and racn1320 like this.
  24. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Well ill keep an eye out for spikes,if she spikes im stoppimg it asap and go back to cosequin for now. Think bupe makes my cat nauses

25. Krystina & Nelli

26. racn1320

racn1320 Member

27. jayla-n-Drevon

Thank you :)
    I agree:smuggrin:

Thread Status: