Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan Tara, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan Tara

Susan Tara New Member

Is there any way to prevent our diabetic kitty from getting pancreatitis periodically?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Not that I know. If you track the flares and monitor food, activity, appetite, and insulin dose, you may, over time, be able to identify factors which seem associated and see if avoiding them reduces the frequency.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you both.

I'm sorry to hear that your cat suffers from pancreatitis. My cat, Saoirse has chronic pancreatitis and there are several other kitties here who also have the misfortune to suffer from it.

In general, based on my own experience and what I've read here about other cats the most critical element of a pancreatitis management regimen is the food. If you monitor your cat's response to the different foods you give (e.g. does it crouch in a meatloaf position, does it hide, does it seek out a cool place to crouch/lie, does it show signs of nausea) then it can help you to eliminate foods that are irritating. Some cats with pancreatitis find more fatty foods harder on their systems. It's very much a case of trial and error. It took me nine months and an awful lot of food trials before I found something that was suitable for Saoirse's diabetic needs and that she could eat consistently. Even so, she now takes daily meds to help with nausea. Vitamin B12 supplementation can help a lot. Feeding small mini meals throughout the day helps, too. Timed feeders are a godsend. :) If you do need to make changes to your cat's food and treatment regimen, it is best to do them one at a time, and slowly.

Here are two links to resources I found very helpful:

IDEXX Pancreatitis Treatment Guidelines

Nausea Symptoms and Treatments (from Tanya's Site)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.