Panic mode, trying not to

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Smoky, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Trying not to go into panic mode right now. Gave smoky his shot at 8:15pm today. Kept trying to get a BG reading before that but meter said problem with test strip. Finally just opened another box of strips and his BG was at 76! Am giving him corn syrup right now to bring it up a little.
    Now I feel that I am a bad mommy for giving him his shot without having a BG first. I will definitely not give him his shot in the am until I get a BG reading first. When shld I test him again after giving him the corn syrup and a little food if he eats it?

2. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him one unit of vetsulin .

3. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I am by no means an expert- but I also give Vetsulin to my guy. One night he got his injection without his BG being tested first (the pet sitter forgot). He was tested AFTER his dose, and his BG was in the 300s and he had been given 6units, which is too much. I fed my guy extra food and watched his BG starting at +3. This method worked for me although he did go down to 165 at +5 and +6, then he began to rise again.
    In my opinion I think feeding him some extra food through the next few hours will be helpful but I wouldn't panic too much due to the low dose of insulin.
    Others have much more experience, and I'm sure they'll chime in soon!

4. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks for the info, smoky is at 76 now and I read on here that below 60 BG is danger zone.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Which meter are you using, Lisa; human or pet meter?

How many hours after giving the insulin injection did you get the 76 reading? (Not all members will be in your time zone so it's impossible to work out how far along in the cycle that reading was taken unless you specify it.)

People replying to the thread need to know the above in order to help you properly. I'm about to pass out (my own little one isn't well right now) so I can't stay to help.

To reassure you, 76 on either a human or pet meter is within the normal range but you need to monitor until you're sure Smoky is safe. The corn syrup is likely to bump the numbers up a bit but the carb boost it gives doesn't tend to last very long. The earlier this reading was taken in the cycle, the more vigilant you need to be.

Other members should be along soon to help you further. I'm very sorry I can't stay with you.

Mogs

6. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks for the info, smoky is at 76 now and I think below 60 is danger zone

7. Lisa and Smoky

I am using relion meter, hope your little one feels better soon. Three hours after shot was given.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

How long after the shot did you get the 76?

Times don't mean much to us here because we're all over the world so we use the "+ system".....a test you get 3 hours after the shot is +3, a test you get 6 hours after the shot is +6...etc...all the way to +11 and then you start the next cycle

Since you're using a human meter, your "time to act" number is below 50 so you're still OK, but you will probably need to test for awhile tonight

9. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

One other thing I've heard is that the corn syrup is great at bringing the BG up but it's short acting so you should give it but then retest the BG again 15-20 minutes later. I had an emergency before and a constant flow of corn syrup saved my guy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Lisa and Smoky

The reading of 76 was 3+ hours after shot, it is now +4 hours PS . Need to know how often to test tonight yet.

11. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him about half a tablespoon of corn syrup so far and he ate a few pieces of shredded chicken breast. That was about 30 minutes ago though.

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Chris & China - Very glad to see you here; I'm about to pass out.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  13. Lisa and Smoky

Me too but have to stay up and watch my baby sugar cat. At least I don't have to go back to work until Wed

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

try to take a deep breath.... as Chris said under 50 on a human meter is the time to bring them up aggressively ....
    Maybe some medium carb so you don't have a big bounce tomorrow?

15. Chris & China (GA)

Will you wake up to an alarm?

We don't have any past data on Smoky yet so that's a hard question to answer.....I'd stop feeding and test again in 30 minutes from when you fed....then another 30 minutes......and as long as he's still going up, get 1 more test an hour later...if he's still good, give him a snack and go to bed...maybe set an alarm just to get some later cycle data in if you can....like +9 or +10

16. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky is up to 90 now, almost +5 since his last dose. Gave him a tablespoon of corn syrup and he ate about a tablespoon of canned food about +1 . I thought about setting an alarm, how did you know?

17. Lisa and Smoky

I am working on his spreadsheet so shld be able to post in the AM.

18. Lisa and Smoky

Also was able to do a urine test which said negative for ketones and blood glucose at 100. The last time he peed was +5

19. Chris & China (GA)

I've been doing this dance for almost 4 years!! ;)

20. Lisa and Smoky

It's now been +5 and a half, think I will test him in 30 minutes and see where he is. Hopefully I can get a cat nap in for a few hrs, and then get up and test again before his PSAM dose. I'm not giving insulin if still low or normal range.

21. Chris & China (GA)

If he's below 200 at AMPS, I'd stall, don't feed and post for help.....make sure your subject line is clear and says something like "STALLING...NEED HELP!"

Have you read the Vetsulin User Guide? Since I've never used it, I don't have any real life experience with it....just what I've learned here from others that have tried it

22. Lisa and Smoky

I skimmed through the guide but really need to read it. Going to try to get a few hours of sleep, have to get up in +4.5.
    I tested smoky 15 minutes ago and meter read 322! Is that normal for his BG to shoot up like that. He didn't have any food for +1 before that. I've heard of bouncing but don't know much about it. I'll post in the PSAM after I get up.

23. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

When a kitty drops down into lower numbers, it is quite normal for them to "bounce" into higher numbers later. When glucose levels fall too much or go too low, for what a kitty's body is "used" to, their bodies sees this as an "emergency" and through a counter-regulatory process will release stored glucose (glucogen) which will raise the glucose levels. The effects of a bounce can last several days, depending on the kitty.

Please post in the morning with the glucose reading, before you feed or shoot to get some advice on dosing. It would be best to do a new post with something like "Vetsulin dosing advice needed" and include a link to this post. That will get you more attention from people.

24. Lisa and Smoky

How do I include a link? Getting test supplies around so I can test smokys BG.

25. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.