? Panicking a little... help?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

This meter is worrying me. His AMPS on ReliOn was 383. I checked it on the AT2 with FS strip and got 475 for AMPS. Last night ReliOn read 504 and AT2 with FS read 556. Just got +4 and ReliOn read 80 :nailbiting: AT2 with FS read 117.

2. Yong & Maury GA

I gave him 2 treats after this last test because I'm a freaked out, as the title suggests. :nailbiting:

3. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hang in there Yong, someone will help! Sending happy thoughts

4. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you Catilin, as expected the first time I see a double digit, I'm terrified.
    I don't even know if it's a true double o_O:nailbiting::banghead:

5. Pati

Pati Member

It doesn't matter about the 383 and 475. They are both high. As people say you'll just make yourself nuts comparing.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Right. I'm more worried about the +4 I just took. I'm happy if it's 117 but I am unwillingly panicking at the 80. Should I be?

7. Pati

Pati Member

So the ReliOn you worry at 50. The AT at 68. Right now at 80 or 117, feed him a small amount of his regular low carb food. This will slow his drop.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Ok, Thank you Pati! I've been holding off on giving his dry so that's also the reason I think it's lower. Will see if he will eat a couple bites.

9. Pati

Pati Member

Just a spoonful. Here is the tricky part. You want him to reach these numbers. These are good numbers. But they are also scary numbers until you get your confidence that you can steer him "with food".

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

Yes I know, it's just scary the first time and getting used to the human meter which I know tends to read lower than pet meter. He is eating a little of his dry. I am realizing the DM does effect his BG. Hoping to get this temporary job so I can get Young Again Zero.

11. Pati

Pati Member

Just looked at his spreadsheet, so you didn't increase his insulin but you limited his dry food. That can be the reason he has dropped to these numbers. For now you will steer with food and retest periodically, low carb food at first and only switching to higher carb if it becomes necessary. For the future you will need to make a decision about the dry food. It is great news if by removing the dry his numbers have improved that much. But you will need to systematically reduce the dry and make dosing decisions based on that change.

12. Pati

Pati Member

Our messages just crossed. :) If you don't want to or he won't eat can then you should look into the dry options. In the long run no sense in spending more on insulin to counteract the higher carb dry.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  13. Pati

Pati Member

I think Janet who is a fan of Young Again primarily feeds can morning and night. You can chat with her about it.

14. Yong & Maury GA

Will get a +5 to see how food effected his BG. Yes, Pati I have been trying to decrease / control the little portion of DM dry he still gets. I think this has helped me decide on getting Young Again Zero.:)
    Also, with the help of others here, realizing his lowest numbers seem to be before the +6

And that has been my analysis, get the low carb dry instead of increasing his insulin.

15. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you so much Pati :bighug:

16. Pati

Pati Member

The cool thing about the spreadsheet is when you get enough data you can see patterns such as when Maury's lowest point is.

17. Pati

Pati Member

You're very welcome.
    When you test at +5 post your number. I'll be here.

18. Yong & Maury GA

19. Pati

Pati Member

I think I read dry takes a little longer. Will he eat can?

20. Pati

Pati Member

Can you feed him can? Do you have your can with gravy?

21. Pati

Pati Member

I don't think Kris and Sue are on right now. Post a message on the health forum and you will get some eyes.

22. Yong & Maury GA

Just posted on main health forum with a link to this one. Was not a gravy can like I thought. I'm supposed to go to store today to get more canned food but I don't want to leave him with these numbers.

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing fine, Yong. The 50 is on REliOn, right? Do you have any gravy FF? IF so, give him a teaspoon or so of the gravy without the food. If not, take a tiny bit of honey and rub it on his gums.

24. Pati

Pati Member

What about syrup? Do you have that in the house? Honey?

25. Pati

Pati Member

Yea Sue is here. :)

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He is nearing the usual nadir so that may help him rise also. The dry does take longer to impact the levels but the honey should work right away. As Pati says, syrup will work also.

27. Yong & Maury GA

Honey or Karo? I have both. Yes 50 and 47 were on ReliOn. FS gave me 102. Just fed him about a tablespoon of the Turkey and Cheese tasty treasures, which I thought was a gravy can but I got wrong one :banghead:. On a side note he seems fine and I think he's happy I'm shoving extra food in his face.

Pati has helped me so far, she at least has a few more months experience than I do. You are all awesome :bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Honey is fine. Just a tiny smidge on your finger rubbed on his gums (or face where he will like it off if he won't let you put it on his gums.

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So glad you were testing today and caught the low numbers. And you had great motherly instincts, thinking about a hypo ahead of time.

How long since the last test? Try another one 15 minutes from the last.

30. Yong & Maury GA

Ok did honey cos it was easiest to grab. Been about 20mins since last test. Just saw your post, going to retest now. :bighug:

31. Yong & Maury GA

20 mins since last test. ReliOn gave reading of 52. So up 5pts from lowest reading. Test in another 20?

32. Pati

Pati Member

Sue should be back shortly but yes retest in 20 min. You can also give some more honey/syrup now.

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, retest in 20 minutes. Good it is moving up. The honey can have a short term impact. He could go back down again but it is less likely the more time away from the am shot.

34. Yong & Maury GA

That's what I'm hoping. The +5.75 reading was immediately after the honey so I think the combination of earlier dry food I gave at +4 and being at mid cycle is kicking in.

35. Yong & Maury GA

+6.08 reading 56

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Is the Turkey+Cheese high-carb? It'd be good to give him a bit more of a boost, you don't want to give too much straight honey in case it upsets his stomach. Sometimes it helps to just drizzle a bit of the honey on the regular food- the honey will give the quick boost, the food will stay with him longer. You only want to give him a little bit at a time (a couple tsp), so that you don't fill him up.

At +6, I'd think you're pretty much over the hump on time, we'd just like to see those numbers rise a little more.

37. Yong & Maury GA

Just used a carb calculator and I think it's 10% carbs. I meant to have a gravy one for his emergency but must have misread the Tasty Treasures >_<

38. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Whew! Exciting! I've been out. Glad you have good help. I agree with putting a tiny bit of honey in his regular food. Had to steer Teasel that way 5 days ago.

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Now you want three rising tests before you relax. It looks like you may get them.

I think I'd try just regular food. He is likely to be very high tonight, bouncing from the lows and the honey. But you still want to reduce the dose. He has earned a reduction!

40. Yong & Maury GA

Yay! As mentioned I am realizing how the DM dry is keeping him higher so will go back to 2.5U and keep him with the 1/8 cup of his DM snack until I can get some Young Again Zero. Thank you guys soooooo much!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. Yong & Maury GA

42. Yong & Maury GA

*Deep breath* :cat: While I'm glad he did not hypo, this was a good experience so I am prepared if it does happen. Still have fingers crossed that he won't hypo. Thank you all! :bighug:

Pati likes this.
  43. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great job Yong!!! It's scary the first time, but you handled it well! :cat:

Pati likes this.
  44. Yong & Maury GA

Thanks to the help I had :cat:

Sharon14 likes this.
  45. Yong & Maury GA

Just wondering what I should do if his PMPS is <200-250?

46. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I would be tempted to give only 2 units if he's 200-250 and if you're planning on repeating the same timeline with his dry food for his pm cycle too.
    Others might have better insight on this... I'm sure you'll get more advice on it before PMPS.

47. Yong & Maury GA

PMPS reading 434. Probably going to still give a slightly reduced dose of 2.5U

48. Kris & Teasel

What an ordeal for you but you got through it! Good experience to have under your belt. Do your syringes have half unit marks on them? That might be useful so you can eyeball 0.25 u fractions. I agree with Steph's suggestion of 2 u tonight if BG is 200 - 250. He'll be more insulin sensitive after the lows today because his liver reserves will be depleted - the reserves that are a source of glucose to mobilize when BG drops low.

49. Yong & Maury GA

Must have hit "Post reply" at the same time :). Think 2.5U is ok for his PMPS reading? Or should I try 2.25U? The syringes I have left do not have half markings but the new ones I ordered will. I'm pretty good with eyeballing 0.25 increments.

50. Kris & Teasel

Try the 2.5 u. He might be stuck up high tonight from bouncing.

51. Yong & Maury GA

Ok. I plan to do at least a +3 tonight to make sure he's safe before I fall asleep :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  52. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a day for you! I know it's scary, but focus on the fact that it's a good thing too...the insulin is working and bringing him down!

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  53. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Reading all of this makes me nervous for my first time seeing these numbers but also confident that when it happens, I'll be able to get amazing help! Good job Yong and Maury :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.