Peeing less and kinda hard poo - the fun stuff

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bash’s Mom, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bash’s Mom

Bash’s Mom New Member

Hello!

My Bash is not on insulin yet, but last week just after he got diagnosed we switched him to fancy feast pate so he has now been on it for a week, no treats. I’ve noticed a few things in the last week
    - he’s stopped peeing a ton (still urinating, just more like normal amounts) and decreased the amount of water he is drinking. I’ve been doing the skin check and he does not seem to be dehydrated - skin bounces back immediately.
    - his poo is a little harder (still has litter sticking to it, but definitely harder), but still going once a day.
    - he’s walking a bit better.

I’m not necessarily worried, I just didn’t expect such a big change in a week. Has anyone seen something like this before?

I haven’t been able to get numbers for the last 2 days, so I’m not sure where he is at. When we started the wet food he was averaging in the 300s, heading down.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the FDMB. We are glad you found us!

Some cats respond well and quickly when moving from a dry food to a canned food diet and their BG comes down. It can change rather quickly. The only way to tell is to test his BG. If you are having problems testing, you might want to look at this post (click on dark blue to the left).

Great job getting his spreadsheet done and the link up. I did noice, however, that in the top line with the BG ranges, some of the colors had been changed. If you didn’t change them, please send me a private message by clicking on Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation” and I’ll help you fix them. If you did change them, we have standard colors here that we all use and will equestrian that you put them back to those colors. We standardize them because it makes it easier to see the waves of action that occur with an insulin and, with so many members, we need to know we are looking at all the same ranges with the same colors. Thank you!

This post will also help you get started here and help you set up a signature block.

Please let us know if you have other questions or how we can help.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I know when Dusty was switched to Fancy Feast he clogged up pretty often so I had to add Miralax to his food. If you notice his poop getting much harder or him straining it would be a good idea to add some to his food. I would just do a sprinkling and mix it in.

Bash’s Mom likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

My vet had me start my cats with 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax and increase in 1/8 teaspoon increments as needed.

Dusty Bones and Bash’s Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.