? Pig 3/26 +10 92 ! A GREEN !?!? How do I dose this one??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Um. So. I am a bit of a novice doser when it comes to the lower numbers. I will admit, I have no experience. I was supposed to give R at the +10, but given the pattern over the past 24 hours, I have not done so yet. I have to leave for work at +1 so I really do not need any crazy things happening.

Starting yesterday morning at the +10 hour with a shot of 4.5uR, Pig has been on a downhill careen towards much, much lower numbers. I did not change anything except a slight .5uR raise. However, I have never, never seen him react so strongly to any insulin or change in such. He has not shown the standard 'curve' over the past 24 hours, instead has just crept down and down and down. He barely even had spots of being flat. Maybe I have finally pushed the resistance to its weakness? This is a wonderful thing, but how in the world do I dose this @Wendy&Neko @Sandy and Black Kitty @Bronx's dad @JeffJ ...... Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.. I am not wanting to give R because I do not know if this trend will continue. I will not be here because of work. I do have an auto-feeder and will set that up with small meals every 2 hours. Also, I can almost bet there is a bounce in store for this one... Maybe that will afford a bit of a safety net. I will be home at the +9 -+10 in the Lev. cycle...

He has had several outputs as well and cleaned out enough to get up and go to the litter box by himself. He is peeing, it is just a tad difficult.. I will be trying to arrange a Ultra Sound for Friday. I have a feeling that this downward trend will continue and if it does, that will help with his bathroom issues as well..

2. LuvinThisPig

If I do not hear from anyone by the amps then I will forgo the R on today's cycle and only give the L.... I am just concerned the downward trend will continue and I will not be here to mitigate it...

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First, he could still come up. Maybe test again at +11.5 o see what he has planned for AMPS. That will tell you if the trend continues.

Second - woohoo, a green! :D

Yes, skip the R.

4. LuvinThisPig

He was at 82 on his +11!!

And yes!!! WooHoo!!

Thank you Wendy! You are just so, so amazing and I do not know what we would do without you! What would any of us do!? Thank you for all you do!

5. Wendy&Neko

You're welcome. Timing was just coincidental that I was on.

If he is still going down at preshot, you have a couple options. The joy of a large depot is that they barely notice when you skip or reduce the dose. Any chance your brother can help out today? How long after the shot will you be around?

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  6. LuvinThisPig

Okay, he came up a bit at +11.5 to 107, but (and I know I should not have) I gave him a teaspoon of food bc he was nauseated and starting to wretch from an empty tummy... I will wait about 30 minutes from now and retest b4 I shoot. I was already seriously considering a reduction. By how much of a percent? I have to leave in an hour and 15 minutes and my brother has to be at work at 2 central time, so he cannot help. I do not have anyone else to baby sit.. At this point its a skip or a reduction..

7. LuvinThisPig

I can only be home about 30 minutes after shooting..

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I hope the downward trend continues. And I can see that it will be challenging to dose.

One thing the vet told me when Leo first got diabetes "Keep Leo safe". So I rarely try to flirt with lower numbers, and I try to get him into 100-150 nadirs. You could conservatively reduce the dose. I don't think dose+30 minutes will be enough to monitor him.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  9. LuvinThisPig

Agreed... I am toying with a skip or a 15% reduction to 50u since I will not be home at all... Even with the auto feeder this is difficult. I am about to take stalled amps and decide...

10. Wendy&Neko

To be effective, you want a larger reduction for a one time reduction. Take off 1/3 or 1/2 of the dose. Glad he's coming up. Once you have experience and can monitor these types of cycles, you will find they are safe to shoot full dose. But safety first.

11. LuvinThisPig

Oh! I agree! I am glad I trusted my gut and did not shoot.. I did not see this b4 I fed them. I ended up skipping his dose because he was going back down after having a teaspoon of food. Not a huge drop, but enough to signal he was still declining. For the Lev to over power the food is significant in Pig. I am interested to see where he will go without any insulin. His auto feeder is set for every 2 hours to give 2 tablespoons of food. Not enough to really spike him, but enough to support him in lower numbers... Am I right in all of this? Such a huge need to be right... Lol.

12. Wendy&Neko

He's surfing, within meter variance. Levemir can also do a double dip in some cats. That's where they do a small second curve down, but not as low as the main nadir. Since you skipped, he should be safe with the food left out.

LuvinThisPig and JeffJ like this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

I will get off work at his +10 and will be rushing straight home! My brother got a +1.5 and he was at 134, so slowly moving up, but not a lot considering he had eaten. It will be interesting to see his number when I get home...

14. LuvinThisPig

@Wendy&Neko I just got home and his +10.5 was at 295 only and that is with a skipped shot. Should I resume dosing as usual? Retain the same R scale or step back .5u? The Lev should remain the same..

15. Wendy&Neko

He hasn't earned a reduction yet, maintain the Lev dose. Your call on the R scale. I would tend to maintain, as with the skipped shot today he'll likely keep going up tonight. But if you are tired, can't monitor, etc. then go back.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  16. LuvinThisPig

Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines, because it could have been anything, really, that caused the sudden drop. I will give the full L dose, but back off to the previous scale before the last one as I cannot monitor the full cycle tonight. Plus, I will be giving it with the Lev and that will put the Nadir closer to the Lev onset. He will most likely get 4u depending on pmps.

17. LuvinThisPig

His pmps was 272 - I gave the normal 59uL and a decreased 4uR. We will see what tonight brings.

JeffJ likes this.
  18. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Woohoo on the green! That is so exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.