Pill Pocket alternative?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandasmom, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hi all,
    I'm trying to think of an alternative to Pill Pockets, any suggestions? Does anyone have a diabetic-friendly version, either store-bought or DYI?

Panda needs several medications, and most of them are 1/4 or 1/2 pills that we've cut up, so small little chunks that taste bad since their coating is broken. We normally take a small chunk of Pill Pocket, flatten it out, and wrap everything together. We then "pill" her the little ball of Pill Pocket. Lately, she's decided she likes the taste of them (we're using the peanut butter ones) and just eats it as a treat.

I'd rather give her something that's low-carb/no-sugar though... Any suggestions?

EDIT: I see that some people use the Duck/Pea version. Is this one really better? We have some in a cupboard somewhere, I got them once and thought they smelled disgusting so we didn't use them :)

Thanks
    Pandasmom

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I have no pill pocket suggestions, but I wanted to tell you that gel caps can be life changing! You can put the medication in the gel cap, and that prevents the cat from getting a taste of the nasty medicine. I also like the smoothness of them. It seems that they would be easier to swallow.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Gel caps are indeed great. If you don't have a mortar and pestle you can always crush the meds between two spoons. Make sure any meds are not slow release although I've never come across this. Have you tried a pill gun? They're cheap and we even have a bigger one for large dogs. With a bit of practice you can pop meds right down the back of the throat, no choking, chewing or spitting back up. On the rubber tipped ones the rubber will eventually lose it's elasticity but at less than $4 it's no big deal. Make sure you soak them to get any slobber or previous meds from inside the tip.

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I have two cats who regularly get meds - Celie gets pepcid in the AM and PM, and Marley gets claritin every morning. I cut them in several pieces (they're small to begin with), and wrap each piece with Cooper sharp cheese--into little balls. They love it, and sit patiently and wait for me to do it. Not all cats like it, as my other 3 have no interest. But if Cooper sharp doesn't work, try another kind of cheese. I've also used liverwurst, for my cats that like it.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Butter or cream cheese is another trick.

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So far, I have not had to crush anything. I have been able to split the pills in halves, quarters or smaller, and they have fit. I think a pill splitter (and maybe a crusher too!) is a good thing to have on hand. They are cheap at drug stores.

7. Noah & me (GA)

Daniel likes probiotic yogurt, our vet says it's okay as long as there's not excessive flavoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.