pink eye, back from vet with meds and questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha often has a pinkish tinge to the white area (outside of the blue of her eye) it's almost always on the right eye. It does not seem to bother her, other then producing a lot more eye boogers then normal. Sometimes this pinkish tinge last's for a few weeks, other times the white is as bright as snow. I have noticed that every now and then the left eye does the same thing, but it's never quite as pink as the right eye. Her eye doesn't look swollen in anyway, she never paws at the eye in any way and she doesn't squint her eye in any way. The only thing it seems to do is produce extra boogers in the corner of her eye. To me, the best way to describe it would be in a human, a bloodshot eye in the white area if that makes sense. It isn't a bold red by any means, just pink.

I googled pink eye in cat's and most of the links said conjuctivitus? But mocha has almost zero of the symptoms, just basically extra gunk when its got the pink tinge to it. Taking her to the vet is not an option because of finances, but I was just wondering what some of you think it might be?

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Re: pink eye?

If you pull down the bottom eyelid is the third eye lid swollen or red?

If it doesn't bother her, I normally would not take a cat to the vet. My own cats, especially Sam and Lilly Grace always have eye gunk, they are long haired kitties, no idea if they are main coone or just domestic long hair and not sure if that makes a difference. When Henry was with me, he was part persian, I was told they often have runny eyes or something because of the flatter faces.

3. PeterDevonMocha

well she fought me on getting her eye lid pulled down, but from what I could see, it didn't look red or swollen in there. Mocha tends to have eye boogers quite often, but when her eye is pink, she tends to have more eye boogers but they are of the runny kind. Normally they are kinda hard and crusty.

4. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

so it sounds like you are dealing with conjunctivitis. The inflammation can come from viruses or bacteria or simply an irritant like pollen.

if it isn't bothering her, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But because cats don't show symptoms of illness easily, I would definitely recommend you keep a close eye on it. Plain saline drops might soothe and flush out any irritants that might be in there. warm compresses (ha ha ha.. easier said then done in most cases) might also ease the symptoms.

If she starts holding the eye closed, the third eyelid comes up, or any other symptoms show up (you know the drill) it would be vet time. Eyes are so delicate that you don't really want to wait when things start to progress.

When I get it in foster kittens, we usually use a tri-optic ointment that has antibacterial properties or terramyicin... but usually it is accompanied by URI, so they are on antibiotics as well.

Connie

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I agree with Connie. My Chloe used to suffer from conjunctivitis and I had gotten an opthalmic oitment from the vet to add when she seemed to be having a flair up. She also suffers from allergies......you can also get this ointment from Drs Foster and Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9675

[​IMG]

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

If the third eye lid is good I don't think it would be pink eye. Cats can get herpes virus, which is an eye thing. For my fosters I always start them immediately on L-lysine powder mixed in thier food since they often have the herpes virus.

You could try added L-Lysine, you can pick that up at any health food store. Runny eyes is what my fosters usually present with before I start the lysine.

ETA: I'm no expert so maybe let your vet know what's going on, to be safe.

7. PeterDevonMocha

ok, so you guys seem to think she is dealing with Conjunctivitis? She does allow us to wipe her eye with a warm washcloth. She doesn't seem to have a problem with that. If that is what it is, is it common for it to mainly be in one eye? What is the best at home treatment course? I checked out the ointment on dr fosters and smith site, but that is on backorder till june.

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

typically you can get that ointment just about everywhere as far as pet sites/stores go but i just checked another one, lambertvetsupply.com and they too have it on backorder. wonder what's up with that.

also, fwiw, i've only ever had one cat get pink eye, aka: conjunctivitis and she only had it in one eye and this ointment is what the vet sent me home with. of course that was about 13 years ago so not sure if treatment is the same these days :)

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Funny you ask Devon, Chloe would only get it in one eye too. I was so worried the first time she got it I ended up taking her to the ER Vet. lol A little over protective of me don't you think? It was just that her eye would have gunk and the white of the eye was red and irritated looking. They ended up telling me to out 1/4 inch strip of the ointment across the eye 2 times a day.

Every now and then when I think she is getting a flair up I will put some in her eye for a day and it gets better. :mrgreen:

Good luck

10. PeterDevonMocha

thanks you guys!

Paige, are you using the ointment that is linked on this site? Also, how do you get the ointment across her eye? Is there any harm in me putting the ointment on her eye, if a vet has not 100% diagnosed her as having this eye problem? I mean, we can't really afford a vet visit but I don't want to do any harm by trying to treat it myself.

11. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Emme has a blocked tear duct it one of her eyes and it weeps and the tears are red in color. It bothers me, not her. I imagine allergies would look the same, and it's allergy season.

Emme also came to us with a herpes eye infection, and one of her eyes was total red and swollen. But you don't seem to have that, do you? (I still give them the lysine every day. I buy the l-lysine powder from Amazon for $10.90).

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yes I have used that ointment. I actually have it stored in my fridge right now. I was shown to apply 1/4 inch line of the ointment to either her upper lid or lower lid and then just open and close her eyes to spread it all over the eye. It is kinda like neosporin for the eye; it has a broad spectrum antibiotic in it. I applied twice a day.

Here is a little crappy video I just made to kinda show how I did it :lol: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jsXn1e_VVtKp1CxKGA-TiQ?feat=directlink

Also here is a link that talks more about the ointment: http://www.medi-vet.com/felineeyecare.aspx

Good luck!

13. PeterDevonMocha

debby, mochas eye is not red and swollen. I don't think she has ever had an eye problem other then this slight pink tinge to what should be bright white, and we have had her since she was just a kitten. But who knows for sure?

Paige, thank you for the video and link.

I will try to get this ointment as soon as I can find it available. Do you all feel it is safe for me to use on mocha, without the vet verifying the problem?

14. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

When medicating kittens, I often end up putting it right on the eyeball (small targets) and I figure since it is going to get on the eyeball anyway - and the vet always said just put it in the eye and wasn't specific as to where...

as to is it safe to use medication on an undiagnosed issue on an eye.. I don't think you'll get anyone here to tell you yes absolutely. Eyes are very delicate - I've seen too many fosters loose eyes after dealing with too many different issues. My own Fleurp has a scar on her cornea and has major depth perception issues (although she compensates well now that she's older).

If money were tight and I had a cat with inflammation of the eye but was acting fine otherwise and the third eyelid wasn't up full time, I might probably just let it go with either some ointment or saline drops and warm compresses and see if it got better, but at the first sign that things weren't getting better or were getting worse I wouldn't wait and would run to the vet.

as for terramycin being back ordered it usually is. Don't know why. The last few times I've looked for it over the years I see back ordered everywhere - and that is usually because the shelter is out of it because where they order it from is back ordered. there are other products like a triple antibacterial ointment (make sure you order one with OUT hydrocortizone) http://www.1800petmeds.com/B.N.P.+Tripl ... 10291.html
    or a purelube which is kinda like saline only thicker so it stays in the eye longer
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/Puralube+Vet ... d1621.html

Connie

15. PeterDevonMocha

thanks for the links connie ... how would you know if that first medication has or doesnt have hydrocortizone? I didn't see it in the list of ingredients, so I would assume that would be the right one to order?

Money is tight for us (like everyone else I'm sure!) so no vet visits in the near future, unless an emergency happens. Her eye doesn't look any worse and it doesn't look any better. She still doesn't seem irritated by it, no third eyelid is showing. We have been wiping it down every night with a warm washcloth, she tolerates that well. Been picking out the boogies so hopefully it just clears up again like it normally does. Seems to come and go. Of course, if we aren't treating it I'm not surprised.

16. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Devon.. I know $$ is really tight but I would be remiss not to suggest a vet visit - it is just too scary of an area (eye) to diagnosis via the Internet. (in my opinion)
    I am sure they do not accept payments, etc. but I would try to work something out. Good Luck & I hope her eye is better soon - with the right treatment it should heal relatively fast since it does not sound too bad now - but without treatment has the potential to get worse.

17. PeterDevonMocha

I know a vet visit would be best but that just isn't in our budget. Mochas eye does this quite frequently, I've seen it many times before. It never looks any different then what it does now, I mean, it just get's that bloodshot look to it and not much else. Never any swelling, third eye lid or her pawing at it. Just bloodshot looking with extra eye boogies, never with any red to them, always green. I have a feeling it is what people suggested on here, and we are looking into getting that ointment ordered before too long. In the meantime we are using a warm washcloth a few times a day to clean up her eye.

18. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

One important note: Pink eye and some related eye inflammations have one thing in common -- they can travel across species! In some cases you can touch her eye, and later touch yours, and get the problem yourself!

Be real careful with that!

19. PeterDevonMocha

thanks everyone, for the information and advice. IF we could get some money together and get mocha into the vet's office, to determine if she has conjunctivitus, what tests would the vet have to perform and what price range do they vary in?

20. Nicole & Baby

Devon.. here is what I would do.. just call in the morning & they are going to charge an office fee & then the RX... I don't think there are really any tests & I cannot imagine them trying to run tests..if they do.. don't.... a Vets trained eye will look & know what is going on.. it will all be over in a matter of minutes.
    What if you let them know.. you need to make payments? Geez.. I hate how this is for you & Peter.. but I do think she needs to go.

**Are there animal shelters, etc that would look at her? I dunno.. trying to think of options here...

21. PeterDevonMocha

thanks nicole. There is an animal shelter in our county, but not the kind that would look at an animal, other then to capture it. I looked at some old receipts from the vet's office, looks like vet visit is around 35.00 so we might be able to get her in this week. After all, isn't this what grace periods on bills are for? :lol:

22. Nicole & Baby

I hear ya.. it is always something.. I can barely eat but Sadi & Baby are living quite the luxurious life!! Have a great day, Devon!!

23. PeterDevonMocha

ok, got mocha an appt for thursday night. Is there any medication for her eye that I should refuse either because she is a diabetic or because it can cause further problems? I just want to be prepared cause when she went for her dental I came home with metacam and then found out what a problem that medicine could cause.

24. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Try to avoid steroids (prednisone and the like) taken as shots or pills! Topical steroids (drops etc) should be okay.

Steroids taken internally raise blood sugar, sometimes quite a lot.

25. PeterDevonMocha

thanks steve, so pretty much anything we would have to apply should be ok? As long as it's not injected, right?

26. PeterDevonMocha

ok we went to the vet tonight and she did an eye flush on mocha, turned her eye bright green. She said there was no cornea damage on mochas, physically the eye looks perfect. She didn't see any irritation in it today at all. Said it could be an allergy, possibly an eyelash curled in and rubbing on her eye occasionally.

She sent us home with eye drops that are a steroid. I asked if that was ok since she is a diabetic she said that small dose won't do any harm to her. It's called Neomycin & Poly Dex 5ml Drops, twice daily as needed. She told us not to use it if we see a large scratch in her eye.

I just want to double check and make sure these drops are safe to use?

27. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Yeah, steroid drops ok in small doses. The blood sugar problem happens only when the steroid's injected or ingested. Go for it.

You may see a small rise in blood sugar from the amount that the cat swallows through the eye ducts, but not to worry.

28. PeterDevonMocha

thanks steve!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.