Pita's Dosing Party: 15

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello all! Lots of stuff to update on, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can sit down and really get into it. Hope everyone is doing well human and kitty wise :cat:

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Haha, now I feel like we're all going to be waiting with bated breath to see your update, Caitlin! Hope things are well!

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hmmm....I read your notes on your spreadsheet. I'm curious about this too! I've thought about trying it with Sam. Have to admit, I'm a little surprised Pita's numbers are that low on the third cycle. Still higher than you'd really want to see, but lower than I would have imagined. Do you have an AlphaTrak? I'd also be curious what the "real" numbers are without insulin?

Can't wait for your update!!!

4. Caitlin M

Alrighty. First and foremost-I plan to email the vet tomorrow or Thursday (crazy busy with work unfortunately) to follow up on a couple things, so some of this is still a bit perplexing to me. I do, however LOVE this vet that we brought him to. She spent nearly 45 minutes speaking with Matt and I, and when we left, Matt said "I feel like she challenged you in a good way." I agree. First, she has treated diabetic cats before and has had many go into remission. The recipe she believes helps with remission: Lantus and Purina DM wet food. Now, I believe she prefers Lantus just as most doctors prefer one drug over the other- it's just what she's used to. I told her I would think about it and look into possibly switching in the future, but I was hesitant because I also thought Lantus requires a pretty strict schedule. Right now with Matt unemployed, we're able to have a tight schedule, but that may all change once he works (meaning maybe 11/13 again). Unknown for now. She wasn't terribly worried about keeping a super strict 12/12 schedule with Lantus and said she's had clients who obviously for one reason or another aren't 100% able to do that schedule every single day. Well, yes but that just sounds like life. Either way- I just don't quite see the need to switch since Pita's always responded to ProZinc, but I'm always willing to keep options open and learn about a different way.
    She was impressed and totally on board with me home testing, although she doesn't know how to interpret a human meter accordingly. I believe I read a thing one time somewhere on here about the variance between pet and human meters (or as much as possible), does anyone know where I could find that to maybe show her? She was a bit concerned when I mentioned that he's gotten as low as 50/60, but again, she isn't used to a human meter. As I write this, I feel a bit dumb, because I mentioned that a regulated cat stays between 50-120 and I think she was still a bit confused/uneasy. Oh well? She mentioned the AlphaTrak (Djamila I do not have one, but am thinking of maybe buying one to test with maybe once a week?!) and I told her that cost wasn't possible for me and since I knew how to read the human meter, I'd be sticking with it. She didn't mind, but it was a bit difficult speaking about numbers. She is 100% with me about never doing a curve at the vet and again, was impressed by how much I test and also that he's good with it.
    Now, here's where this 'experiment' comes in. Looking at his numbers, she believes that he may be close or technically in remission because his numbers are usually relatively low. She knew that even though some of his numbers were higher, it could be so many things, so she wasn't too concerned. He does need 4-5 teeth removed and some are being resorbed. :( We're trying to figure out a way to pay for this ASAP because she said that was also a possible reason for higher numbers. At any rate, she suggested I go 3-5 days without insulin to see where he naturally goes. She said as long as he stays around 180 or below (again though, which meter?) she believes he could come off insulin. So, per her suggestion, we have gone about two days, with AMPS, +#, PMPS. If at the end he starts rising and not going back down, she suggested we start easy again at 1 unit. I did mention that I was taught that between 60-120 without insulin was considered remission, but she didn't seem too concerned with slightly higher numbers, yet below 180. Ugh, I'm not feeling so great about this as I type it all out but it really did go so well with her and I felt supported in my decisions.
    As far as food goes-I can't spend almost $50 on a case of 24 cans of DM. Even though they share one can a day, I can't do it. At least not right now. To see the carbs that he is eating, I grabbed Dr. Lisa's chart and now am very confused! He eats Friskies pate in Poultry Platter and Turkey & Giblets. According to the chart, there are 4 and 5 carbs respectively in those flavors. However, when I do the math myself from using a carb calculator, I get nearly 11.36% carbs in the Poultry Platter alone! Then I get 15.91% carbs in the Purina DM, compared to 6 on that chart. I'm so confused! I just wanted to compare what I'm feeding him to what she recommended.

Overall, I do believe I've found a great vet, I just want to share with her some stuff to help us get on the same page as far as numbers go, as well and food. :banghead: This is how I feel now though. And now, dear friends, I leave this all out there for you :smuggrin:

5. Djamila

Oh Caitlin! :bighug:

First of all, you're doing just fine, and I'm really curious how the next few days play out. There have been a few times that I've thought about stopping insulin for a couple of days and seeing what happened. you're monitoring, and if he jumps over 200 you can start insulin again and end the experiment, so I'm not worried about Pita at all with this. He's in good hands.

While the protocol for Lantus on this forum is very strict about the 12/12 schedule, there are other forums that use a more flexible approach, even with Lantus and Levemir, so it is possible, even though here we don't recommend it. Lantus is a great insulin and works really well for the majority of cats. Levemir is gaining in popularity as folks are seeing good results from it. You might recall I left for a little while and tried Sam on both Lantus and Levemir. For him it was a complete disaster and he ended up sicker than when we started, but that is extremely rare. Most cats make the transition easily and do very well.

I do disagree with your vet about the normal range - I wouldn't want my cat running in the blues on a regular basis (human meter), but that might be because Sam shows signs of neuropathy even when he's just in the mid-blues. He's been struggling with it more and more the longer he's been in these numbers and it hurts my heart.

As for the food, don't trust the calculators. They are better than nothing, but the numbers on the chart are from the companies themselves and are more accurate. Most companies will share their nutrition info if you email and ask them, so if you want to confirm you can always shoot off an email. They do change recipes without telling anyone, so if you find out there is old data on the chart, we would all benefit from knowing that! Although I completely agree with you about the cost. DM isn't magical in any way. The food you are already feeding is fine and it fits in your budget, so I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Caitlin M likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow Caitlin! It does sound like you've found an awesome vet, and I'm so excited for you with that!

As for Lantus v. Prozinc...that's kind of up to you. I think both are very good insulins for diabetic cats. Lantus is more popular here, and it's worked wonder for some cats. For Pita, I think it would be fine, but don't think it would be magic. It worked great in some crazy cats we had over here like Bubba, who was nadiring at preshot time and cats with high dose conditions (though they usually try Lev). But since Pita isn't really like that, I think it wouldn't be a miracle...but I DO think it would work perfectly fine. And I could be wrong! Not trying to dissuade you from trying it at all, just letting you know why we may not have ever suggested it...though again, I think we would all agree that it would be fine to start.

The food...meh. I don't think I'd worry about trying the DM. We all know that's not magic food. No such thing! Do what you're doing now there. :)

I'm definitely interested to see how he does without insulin! As Djamila said, it doesn't worry me at all. It's not like you can't restart insulin if needed!

Caitlin M likes this.
  7. Djamila

Caitlin, i was just peeking at your SS and I'm really curious about yesterday AM when he went from 204 at +6 down to 125 at PMPS. Did he eat anything between those two times? Or is he usually done eating by +6?

8. Caitlin M

I wasn't home between the times but Matt said he doesn't believe he did. We're trying to get them to lose a bit of weight so we actually stopped the midday snack and knock on wood, they've both been doing fine (not yelling). I still give Pita his midnight snack though. So the answer is pretty much no, he didn't eat anything between +6 & PMPS :rolleyes:

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  9. Caitlin M

Well, it has been an interesting past few days. Matt just left LA early this morning for a job in MA, so he will be gone until mid-October. My schedule varies week to week, so it may not be perfect, but I'm going to do my best sticking to consistent times. It's definitely not going to happen every day, but I think (hope!) that Pita will be just fine. I am also going to increase to 1.1 units this evening. Not sure where last night's PMPS came from but had a very nice AMPS today, so it was just a wonky night! Looking at his numbers on the 1 unit though, he has been having higher PMPS. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome to remedying that, otherwise I'll stick to the 1.1 and go from there. :cat:

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Until mid-October!!! That's tough, Caitlin, I'm sorry.

Pita WILL be just fine. You've got some flexibility with ProZinc and besides, you KNOW Pita so you know how to work around your schedule. Let us know if you need any help, but I know you'll be just fine.

I think the increase is good. Let's see if that increase can get those nighttime cycles down a bit and see what that brings us!

Caitlin M likes this.
  11. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! So very true on all accounts.

Of course we have some nice midday numbers which are causing me to question the slight increase...??

12. Djamila

I'd say see what the PMPS brings, but if it's decent, you might hold off one more cycle on the increase.

I'm so sorry to hear that Matt is leaving for a few weeks! :(:bighug: That's so hard. Hopefully it will be a good job for him and something will open up closer to home soon!

Caitlin M likes this.
  13. Caitlin M

129 PMPS, stuck with the 1 unit. Maybe stick with it all day tomorrow as well to see what happens and go from there?!

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well dang! Right after I agree it's a good idea, he decides to throw that lower number! Yes, I'd stick with it for today and let's see what happens tonight before deciding on an increase.

Caitlin M likes this.
  15. Caitlin M

He just hears me and then makes whatever I say invalid :rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

:p Of course he does...

17. Caitlin M

Well I just got woken up to by a howl of a meow from Pita. 53 @ +4.75, so I gave 1 tsp of FF Gravy. I know it wasn't too low, but I have to be up in two hours for work so I'd prefer to sleep them :oops:. See where he is for AMPS.

18. Caitlin M

::very, very quietly::

I think I should keep holding at 1 unit...? He's getting some nice, healthy greens and not going too high for PS.

HuskerGyrl, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whispering that I agree. :D

HuskerGyrl, Caitlin M and Djamila like this.
  20. Caitlin M

144 @ +4. I'll see what PMPS is, but maybe I will go to 1.1 tomorrow am (so I can get some sleep tonight without testing)!

21. Caitlin M

143 PMPS last night, gave 1u. 130 AMPS this morning, also gave 1u. So long as he's hitting healthy greens during the day, and staying within the same PS range, I should be fine sticking with the same unit for a while right? I'm so used to having to slowly increase that I'm kind of iffy about holding for too long! Also- HAPPY FRIDAY! Even though I work tomorrow...:rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
  22. Caitlin M

I just need to rant for a second because I am SO aggravated! I had to call the vet Pita was with when first diagnosed in MA because I somehow didn't have any of that paperwork for our new vet here. I just received it in the mail today and of course, all of the conversations we had during that time were summarized (by them). At the very top of the first page it says "Warning: No insulin refill without proper monitoring!". It then had all the stuff she spewed at me about how she had the correct way to monitor and told me how diabetes was a 'very expensive disease to treat requiring frequent monitoring and that there are no shortcuts'.
    I am just so mad and also for some reason feel embarrassed because I even felt like the girl I spoke to about mailing this to me, was rude. I feel like everyone at that office thinks that I know better than the vet and was this ***** of an owner and I hate it. I work my ass off (as we all do) to properly care for him on a daily basis and even though I found an incredible vet, 15 minutes away from her in MA, somehow this first vet completely right and I was completely wrong. Even though the new vet I found here, also supports me, now I'm worried that since she doesn't understand how to use a human meter, somehow or another we'll also end up at odds gainst each other. Pita was originally 521 when they tested him with their AT meter and he hasn't been even remotely that high since I began. I KNOW I'm doing the right thing and shame on her and that office for making me feel inferior, but it does affect me.
    That's it for now. Just needed to try to release some of this before I go to work. Fun timing to open and relive all of that :blackeye:

23. Caitlin M

I was also hoping to find all the info regarding differences in human/pet meters- how the variance was figured out, who did the research, etc- to send to my vet! Any help in giving her info would be fantastic. Thanks all!

24. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vent away, Caitlin! Vet's ego problem ... :mad::confused: NOT yours!

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ack! Caitlin! I'd be furious too...why can't vets just accept that we do research and take care of some things ourselves? Doctors wouldn't expect you to not do some research on how to properly manage your own disease...why do vets sometimes think they are the be all end all???

26. Djamila

Ugh. Oh Caitlin, that sucks. What a lousy thing to do. That's definitely on your vet, and not about you at all.

As for the conversion, the problem is that there isn't one. Folks around here have informally done lots of side-by-side tests with human/pet meters and the same drop of blood. The results are inconsistent. However, it gives enough information for us to make good decisions, even if the numbers don't precisely convert.

Here is the article that the protocols here are based on:
    www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/attachments/management-of-diabetic-cats-pdf.11641/

In their research, they used a human meter, and the ranges are set based on a human meter, so that might be helpful for your vet to see, even if it doesn't directly give a conversion

Esi likes this.
  27. Caitlin M

Thank you all very much. Just a down on myself few moments. Ugh! Sometimes people really suck. I think that research might definitely help if they used a human meter- thanks!

28. Caitlin M

201 PMPS, 180 AMPS. Going to try for one, maybe two midday tests and if tonight is still higher, bump to 1.1u.......you hear that Pita?!!

Djamila likes this.
  29. Djamila

Taking a peek at those mid-days, it looks like you're right that a smidge more might be good. Pita just wanted to match Sam's dose again ;)

30. Caitlin M

Had a nice +5 but couldn't get another one before work again today. Will stick with the 1.1 and should be able to get some more midday tests tomorrow and Thursday!

31. Caitlin M

What in the WHAT?!!! 291 PMPS...I had more than enough blood for another strip and that one was above 500! I refuse to believe that, so I'll stay horrified with the 291. Pita was yelling at me nearly an hour before his (now) usual time, so I figured, yeah sure, let's do it a bit earlier tonight. Jeez! Of course tomorrow night I won't be home until half an hour after his new time, so I guess he won't be able to yell at me then! I'm definitely flabbergasted but going to try to chill out. I will now definitely get a sh*t ton of midday tests tomorrow....:woot:

32. Caitlin M

And now he's laying belly up, happy as a clam!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  33. Kris & Teasel

Cats!!! :confused::woot:

Caitlin M likes this.
  34. Djamila

Yikes! What's up with those numbers? That's quite a bit out of the norm. We all have days when we're off and not feeling our best. Hopefully it was just a passing moment!

Caitlin M likes this.
  35. Caitlin M

I just tested at +8.5 and he was at 71! I vaguely remember him meowing loudly at about 3am maybe? I didn't fully wake up and now I feel SO bad if he went too low and I didn't catch it! ::Sigh::

36. Djamila

He may have just been surfing along in those safe greens all night though. Might not have been a low. :D How are you doing flying solo these days? Is Matt enjoying his new job?

37. Caitlin M

That's all true! So far so good. His times are a bit later in the day and night now- 10:30, but it's working well for now. Matt is happy to be working for the time being, that's for sure!

38. Caitlin M

Not too pleased with numbers lately but I'm going to stick with the 1.1 for this morning again, as I won't be home enough to monitor. I'll bump it up to 1.2 either this evening or tomorrow am!

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  39. Caitlin M

Ugh! Well, numbers are even worse now than they had been! He is near the bottom of this vial and the new one arrives tomorrow. I've honestly never experienced a vial not working- this one is still a bit milky, not expired, etc, so I'd be a bit surprised if that's the reason. It just makes me a bit sad and confused, which I know is what almost everyone feels here! Ah well, that's it for now!

40. Djamila

Pita has long had the pattern of running up and down the dosing scale in waves. It looks like he's just heading up for a bit. He'll be okay, and you know how to take care of him. It's frustrating if he's really heading back up, but you can manage it.

I've wondered from time to time if there is an underlying health issue that causes this. For Sam, it's pancreatitis. It comes and goes, and he slides up and down. His symptoms aren't terrible compared to how sick some kitties get with it, but it's enough. It could be Pita has something like that at a low level. Too low to really notice significant symptoms, but enough to impact his BG. Or he could have one of the high dose conditions. Sometimes cats on lower doses have them, even though we call them "high dose". Or it could just be his teeth, since you know that's an issue already. Or it could just be that this is the way Pita is: rolling up and down with no discernible reason.

Hang in there, and know you're not alone with this. As you said, sad and confused kind of goes with the territory around here. Focus on all of the good things with him, and don't worry too much about the numbers. As long as he's feeling okay otherwise, that's what matters. :bighug:

Caitlin M and Kris & Teasel like this.
  41. Kris & Teasel

I know sad and confused all too well ... :(. I think Djamila's analysis is on point. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  42. Caitlin M

Okay! So Djamila I just read your response to someone else about testing for pancreatitis- I wish it had occurred to me when we went! Whenever the next visit is I'll ask them to test just in case. Also, we were very high last night so I bumped it up to 1.3 and I'll see what we get later this morning. I also plan to open the new vial today. Hopefully 1.3 from a new vial doesnt do anything wacky!

Djamila likes this.
  43. Djamila

There are two tests: the snap-fpl and the spec-fpl. The snap is cheaper, but less accurate. The spec is more accurate as far as positive test results, but still not great. If you get a positive result, it's positive. But if you get a negative result, it still doesn't completely rule it out. They just don't have a super accurate test for pancreatitis yet.

If you haven't seen Pita have days when he goes off his food or barely eats though, then I would lean towards IAA or Acro. @Kris & Teasel or @StephG can weigh in on this better than I can, but one of them involves a little tumor that can pulse on and off and cause those undulations in BG and dosing. There are a bunch of other symptoms that go along with it too -- it's just not an area I've read much about, so I'm not going to be particularly helpful on this one. You can read more about them in the forum for those though.

And again, it's totally possible that it isn't anything other than Pita just being Pita. Every cat has their own quirks. Although our cats do have the weirdest connection. I went up to 1.3u this morning too. It's bizarre. Hopefully your new vial won't make any wackiness for you!

44. Kris & Teasel

Teasel has had the expensive pancreatitis test done twice since mid May. It was negative both times even though he was ill with symptoms that looked a lot like pancreatitis. It could also have been an IBD flare - there’s a lot of symptom overlap.

Most acro kitties I follow are on much higher doses even though it’s possible to be on a low dose. IAA can cause crazy dose fluctuations as the antibodies “die off” then resurge. I’m not sure Pita’s data shows that. In the interest of keeping it simple and going with the most obvious I vote for ongoing dental issues and likely worsening gingivitis or similar.

Djamila likes this.
  45. Djamila

Keep it simple is a good approach. I do tend to go towards the most dire options first :confused:. And yes, IBD and pancreatitis do look similar. You're right: starting with the known issues first is probably the best route at this point. Then if that doesn't resolve it, moving onto other things.

Especially considering there is no cure for either IBD or pancreatitis, managing symptoms (probiotic, increase insulin, nausea and pain meds, etc.) is really all that's needed. The tests don't matter that much in the end.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  46. Caitlin M

Boys have both been really good lately! It hasn't been nearly as hot as it was and I also have a portable AC that is AMAZING. So we're all happy with that. I've realized that they've both become grazers with eating, compared to a year or so ago when they both had to eat right away. It may be because they're older or because of the climate but I've paid attention and they both eat sporadically throughout the day (it's always gone before the 2 hour PS mark) so I don't think there's anything wrong. They've both actually been very playful again lately- waking me up at 4:30 am fighting- snuggling with me, laying on backs with tummies up, etc. Pita actually jumped on my lap yesterday! He used to always snuggle on our couch with me/us but we don't actually have a couch, just two comfy chairs. But yeah, he laid on my lap which was a nice surprise. I think within the next couple months (fingers crossed) we can get his teeth removed and hopefully dealt with.
    I have a class tonight so I'll be leaving soon, which totally figures. 188 AMPS, 190 @ +2, 205 @ +4 and now 138 @ +6. So, of course, I won't be able to see where he goes now! But maybe tomorrow I'll try to test at +7 and +9 to see if I can catch a lower number. Anywho, that's about all. Hope everyone is doing well!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  47. Caitlin M

Well, now I'm in a bit of a nerve-wracking situation again! Yesterday AMPS was 135, shot 1.5, PMPS was 244, shot 1.5- I'm thinking he may have gone very low during the day and I didn't get to test, so he went high? AMPS just now was 118. I think I still need to give 1.5 because that's what's getting him low again right now, but of course I'm a bit nervous. So I'll get a bunch of midday tests in and see where he goes- hopefully nice and steady/not too low :cool: Really Pita?! Although I can't be too surprised since this is his new trend.

48. Djamila

Hmmm....it just looks like fairly normal variation to me. I don't see anything that would make me think he went low during the day. I do wonder what's going on at night though. Why is he so low in the morning, but then so high in the evening? I actually wonder if he isn't going lower at night, and then those daytime cycles are sort of his version of high and flat. Or, you know...Pita :cat:;):confused:

Caitlin M likes this.
  49. Caitlin M

You could be completely correct! And yeah I thought it was strange as well that he's having higher PMPS but lower AMPS. Maybe I'll get up later tonight/this morning and test to see if that's maybe where he's going low.

50. Caitlin M

Well, we hit 83 today and ended at 260. It's not going to be fun but I'm going to definitely wake up later and test because something funky has to be going on! (Right?!!!) :rolleyes:

51. Djamila

Good call with the increases (and great job getting those night numbers -- those are tough...z...z..z...z..)

Hope all is well for you guys!

Caitlin M likes this.
  52. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

@Caitlin M I'm super late to the party. I just so happened to be on reading posts.

When I fired my vet . . . they were refusing to give my records. I had to pretty much camp in their office.
    When they finally gave me the records . . . there were several notes of "Pt cargiver denied curve at vet despite vet recommendations" , "Pt caregiver denied nutritional advice". Then there were others about my attitude and how I was uncooperative. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I switched my feline vets, and within the last week, I took her to get a kitty physical, as I needed a Rx refill and technically she was due for rabies vaccine.
    My new vet is out on surgery. I like her, but I didn't want to wait.
    I guess my patience got the best of me. I sent my SS as a courtesy, but there wasn't much on there. Allegedly some of my PS numbers are those of the cat suffering Hypo. :rolleyes: The vet didn't approve of my Friskies diet either and gave me samples of DM and encouraged me to switch. I did speak up about that, stating that the carbs were too high and I might as well give my cat a loaf of bread for dinner. I was being a bit dramatic, obviously.

At this point, I do not believe in the perfect vet.

Anyway, I'm glad Pita has a mommy like you! Good luck with your classes.

Caitlin M likes this.
  53. Caitlin M

Hello everyone! I did a real curve yesterday (first time in a while) and although Pita never went green, his PMPS was lower than any other midday tests. I've recently bumped up to 1.8 units but I'm curious about how he had a lower PS after it should have worn off. Anywho, he's doing well either way! Brat has a double ear infection (again), so we're dealing with that as well. I start back at work this evening since the family is back from vacation, so all in all, things are going well. Hope everyone is doing well!

54. Djamila

Leave it to Pita to have an atypical cycle just as you're doing a curve. That is a strangely flat cycle compared to the rest of your data. And then he finally gets a good PMPS. So much for using the curve to figure out what's going on with him!

I'm so sorry to hear about Brat. Is he getting ear drops? Or pills? Hope he feels better soon!

Any word on when the BF might be back? Have fun at work tonight! I hope the kiddo(s) are good for you!

55. Caitlin M

Seriously! He knows...I swear he knows. Yeah Brat has always been prone to having ear infections (years ago my vet told me he was like people who always get ear infections) so we had brought him to the vet I didn't like here a while ago and got meds when they flared up again. They cleared up (or so I thought) but it came back so he met our new, awesome vet. Ear drops twice a day and then we go back in about two weeks to see if it's fully gone. So now they both get stuff done to their ears before eating! Matt will be back sometime mid-October. Knock on wood, I've been good by myself again even though my schedule isn't consistent. Thanks!

Djamila likes this.
  56. Djamila

I'm so glad you found a good vet there! It really helps to have someone you trust. My sister has a dog who has recurring ear infections. Poor little guy just hates getting his ear drops. Hopefully Brat doesn't mind too much.

57. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Of course Pita had to have a funky cycle during curve day! They like to do that. ;)

Poor Brat! I can't imagine giving a cat ear drops. I wonder if Pita thinks that Brat is getting tested too since he's getting his ears messed with before meals now...

58. Caitlin M

Don't know what happened today but it makes me sad. Pita's probably a bit sad as well. ::Sigh:: I'll get a couple midday numbers before work tomorrow.

59. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ack! Pita!!! Let's all go with it was just "oh look a squirrel" syndrome. I know it makes me sad to see it too, but as long as it's just a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

How are YOU doing, Caitlin? It's got to be tough having Matt out of town. I know you mentioned he'll be home next month hopefully, which is great!

60. Djamila

Yikes. That's no good. Hugs to you, Caitlin. :bighug: Hopefully it's just one of those things and he'll get back to better numbers today.

61. Kris & Teasel

I hope he comes down for you, Caitlin.

62. Caitlin M

Numbers have been better since that awful 300+! Still feel like he's a bit all over the place though. 195 PMPS last night and at +6 he was at 69. 209 AMPS today but I decided to bump it up to 2 units since we'd held at 1.9 for a full three days. So, in reality, I think this is exactly what he's been doing for the past few months but hopefully, when Matt gets back we can take care of teeth and see what happens! I'm attempting to do a full curve today but may end up missing the +8 and +10.

63. Djamila

Numbers and dose aside, is he feeling good? playing? eating well? Sometimes when the numbers and dose are a little higher, it can help to focus on the other indicators of their health and happiness. I will be curious to see what happens after he gets a dental.

64. Caitlin M

He seems happy and healthy otherwise! Plays, eating normally, no weird behaviors. Definitely good to remember overall. Yes, I HATE that I haven't been able to get him the dental earlier, because I'm sure it's contributing to some extent. Why do they need to be so freaking expensive?!!

65. Caitlin M

Oh. My. God. No sooner had I posted that and stood up from the desk-Pita fell off the bed! I think he was trying to walk/hop to the bookshelf in front of the window where they sit, and he must have slipped because it was not graceful. I picked him up and he's purring but maybe a bruised ego. But of course right after I said 'yeah, everything's normal!' :rolleyes:

66. Caitlin M

Happy Hump Day everyone! Tomorrow is my/our first year of living in L.A.! So crazy, I can't believe how quickly it went. I forgot I had run out of ketone strips so I grabbed some yesterday and tested him today- negative! Although numbers are a bit high(er than I'd like) I am reminding myself that he is happy and healthy and loved! We played with some ribbon this afternoon and he had a spaz out moment where I chased him into a closet as well! We went up to 2.1 units today as well. I'm about to get a +3.5 test before work and will do a test when I'm home around +8.5 also. Sending loving vibes out to everyone!!

Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yay for playing ribbon! Yes, you have to remember that Pita is more than just a number. He should be evaluated with numbers AND how he is doing. I know how easy it is to get stuck on those numbers and focus on them, but it sounds like Pita is doing okay! Diabetic kitties just need what insulin they need...and that's okay. :bighug::bighug:

Caitlin M likes this.
  68. Caitlin M

I LOVE that all- especially what insulin they need :cat:

69. Caitlin M

115 AMPS today and has stayed in the 60's last three tests with no help! Woo. Longer update scheduled soon :cat: Happy Monday everyone!

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Go Pita!

71. Djamila

That is a lovely cycle! Way to go, Pita!

72. Caitlin M

Okay, got a 98 and 97 AMPS just now (stuck to the 98). I'm home all day until I leave for work at 3:30. I gave him 1 tsp FF Gravy food and I'm going to reduce down to 2.0 units. I know I could have stalled and fed later but I just didn't really want to! Since I'm able to test until his +6, I figured I'd just try this today. I also only decreased by .3 because in the past, if I've decreased too much it puts him back up to higher numbers. So this is just going to be an experiment all day!

Djamila likes this.
  73. Caitlin M

Well, I did a small steer at +4 to make sure he didn't drop below that 50, but otherwise it's been all him! We shall see what PMPS brings. Either way I'm not getting any hopes up, just happy to see these numbers even temporarily!

Djamila likes this.
  74. Djamila

So good to see a couple of nice cycles for Pita! And looks like that reduction was nearly perfect. Just a smidge close to the line, but as you said - you knew you were going to be around to keep an eye on him.

Caitlin M likes this.
  75. Caitlin M

96 PMPS. Sticking with the same as today- 2 units and I'll get up for a test during the night. We shall see what tomorrow brings!

76. Djamila

Go Pita! What a great 24 hours! Looks like he might be doing his up-the-dosing-scale/down-the-dosing-scale thing again. Fingers crossed he has a nice little slide down now. :cat:

Caitlin M likes this.
  77. Caitlin M

122 AMPS. Stuck with the 2 units so if I need to go back up I'll do it slowly!

78. Caitlin M

And on that note- he may be getting a reduction tonight instead! 56 @ +3, 47@ +3.5- fed 1tsp gravy food. 57@ +4 and I'll get one more +4.5 test before I run back to work! Will probably give another tsp of gravy food just to be safe, since his usual nadir still hasn't hit. :rolleyes:

79. Djamila

Why isn't Sam copying Pita now??? I'm jealous of the good numbers!!! Although I'm not jealous of you having to keep poking and steering. :)
    Yay for the pet sitter getting a test done - although I'm sorry it was a bit rough. As we often say around here, the first ones are the hardest and it always gets better!

80. Caitlin M

Ugh, God! So I had a feeling his higher number last night was based on his testing fail, which is why I tested before bed at +1.5. I had set my alarm for a +4ish because I had a feeling he'd be a bit too low again. Well, I evidently turned off the three alarms in my sleep, because I woke up at 6 and was horrified. I know he's fine but I really do hope he didn't get too, too low. 77 AMPS just now and even though a part of me wanted to NS, I went with 1 unit. I'll be able to test until +6 again today so I'll be diligent and then possibly decrease again tonight.

81. Djamila

Yikes! I’m sure he would have woke you if he was too terribly low. Pita knows how this all works!

Crazy that his numbers are suddenly dropping like this. He wants to keep you on your toes before you leave town!

Caitlin M likes this.
  82. Caitlin M

88 @ +2

Be careful what you wish for I guess! I was grumbly about his higher numbers and now he's doing this a week before I leave for a week! :oops:

83. Caitlin M

98 @ +4
    1 unit may not have been enough, but who knows! Interested to see PMPS.

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  84. Caitlin M

85 @ +6. Just left for work but I don't think he'll drop below 50 at this point. No steering today!!

Djamila likes this.
  85. Djamila

Glad you both got a break today! Pita just dances to his own music, doesn't he? ;) You do such a good job responding to what he needs.

86. Caitlin M

135 PMPS, gave 1 unit again to be consistent for the day.

Djamila likes this.
  87. Caitlin M

I'll wait until midweek to start a new thread about my trip/help with sitter dosing!

Thank you Djamila, that just made me happy tear up! I definitely have become a testing maniac, but since I'm able to, I might as well!

Djamila likes this.
  88. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah, just let us know what you need for your trip, Caitlin! We're happy to be here and help out however we can. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  89. Caitlin M

All greens today, shot 1 unit, no steering needed! Happy Friday to me! And Pita...of course to Pita :smuggrin:

Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  90. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

All right Pita! Happy Friday to you, indeed, Caitlin!

Djamila likes this.
  91. Caitlin M

Good numbers today! I reduced dose to .8 because why not see what happens?! I just got to work though and realized he was 66 @ +4. I took a nap right before I left, woke up and rushed out so I'm hoping he stays nice and steady today because I goofed and forgot to get one last test :oops:. Also, I leave for MA this Friday night and it could not come sooner! :D

92. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh Pita! I'm sure he'll be fine Caitlin. You know how he is...he's a trooper!

Leaving for MA? Does that mean Matt is coming home?? It is October!

93. Caitlin M

This is all true, thanks for the reminder Rachel :smuggrin:
    Yes, the family I nanny for is leaving for a week so I'm also going back to visit and then Matt and I fly back home to LA together!!

Djamila likes this.
  94. Caitlin M

Well, a 209 PMPS is certainly not what I was expecting!! Hmm, interesting Pita. I stuck with .8 units so we'll see what tomorrow brings!

95. Djamila

Oh Pita. I wonder if that 209 is just a little baby bounce from the 55. He isn't much of a bouncer, but maybe?

Caitlin M likes this.
  96. Caitlin M

68 @ +9
    Definitely possible! Or just a weird ''squirrel' moment.

Djamila likes this.
  97. Caitlin M

Well, it must've been a weird thing since AMPS was 94! Gave .8 units again and will get a +3 test before leaving for work. My neighbor is coming down tonight to do PMPS so fingers crossed!

98. Djamila

Pita is a wild child. He's been running up and down the dosing scale ever since he started this journey. It is so fun to see him dropping the dose and getting such great numbers for a little while! Hope it goes well with the neighbor tonight!

99. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Must have been a squirrel moment ;)